“Friendly, Good Food & Excellent Value for Money”
Review of 24 Carat Bistro

24 Carat Bistro
Ranked #29 of 2,275 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$7 - US$9
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: GOOD HOME COOKED FOOD AT A REASONABLE PRICE. We are a small FAMILY RUN business in the heart of the Jewelry Quarter, reached by walking down a quaint tiled walkway (at the side of Paul Green's Jewelers). Once inside you will discover a hidden part of the Jewelry Quarter's history.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The title says it all.

We arrived at 12 noon on a Friday & the two of us doubled the number of people in the place. However, we didn’t mind as it meant that we could have a quiet lunch & get the waitress’s almost undivided attention. She gave us plenty of time & ‘space’ to make our choice & reassured my partner that the meat patties weren’t too spicy.

The coffee was hot & reviving, the meat patties weren’t too spicy (just right) & my Caribbean Mixed Platter consisted of a meat patty, salt fish, sweet dumpling, jerk chicken wings and dipping sauce. Both of these were on the menu as “Starters”, but there was no problem in ordering just these & no main courses. Each came with a reasonable salad. Each plate was delicious. My partner, whose patty plate wasn’t a substantial as my platter, then put away a very large slice of rum & pineapple cake, topped with vanilla ice cream.

The food, plus three large mugs of coffee, cost £17.50 – worth every penny.

Can’t wait to go back for the full works – starter & main course … I doubt that I’ll ever manage a pudding as well.

2  Thank joys59
There are newer reviews for 24 Carat Bistro

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Spotted the board and they got my attention from the get-go with real icecream milkshakes. Not what I had in the end as once inside the menu and boards had so many temptations. Ever so tasty mixed platter and piping hot rum and pineapple cake later with custard filled me up a treat. You could tell it was homemade, just like I had as a child. Cheery lady looked after me very well and the bill was a pleasant surprise as very reasonable. I am not a chain type of person where food is the same no matter where you are so very happy I now have a go-to for food next time I am back in Brum.

2  Thank FoodNshoppingQueen
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Caribbean platter was amazing main was very nice, well worth finding and will come again! Excellent value too

1  Thank Wotumba
Reviewed 11 June 2014

myself n my sister visited the bistro lunch time wed it was empty we ordered curry goat rice npea s we have been eating west indian food for 50 yrs from all over but never ever seen anything like this before small bits of meat toped my a dark brown gravey no flavour at all the rice was dry and stale we sat next to the kitchen there was no smell of cooking only the bnig of micro therefore no freash food we conplained and were told noone had ever done so before find that hard to belive we only had to pay for our drinks never the less left empty and let down THE BEST IN BRUM ? ITHINK NOT

2  Thank violet186402
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Our 1st visit was Saturday day. Saturday night even better! Quaintly lit by lots of candles. Caribbean beats in the background. Mixed platter to start. Curry goat. Pud. Cocktails. Not even £24 each! Perfect date night.