“Lovely pub and food, terrible service”

Soul Food Project at The Victoria
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Soul Food Project is a first for Birmingham, dedicated to the sights and sounds from America’s deep south. Soul Food's 'Deep South Diner' at The Victoria is where you'll find the team cooking up the meanest burgers this side of Birmingham, hearty gumbos (a melting pot of meats, peppers and spices), jambalayas, homemade pies, cajun sandwiches, red beans 'n' pork and a twist on the classic British Sunday roast.Voted in 2012 by ShortList Magazine (and it's readers) in the top ten gastropubs in the UK, the only Midlands venue to be included.
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I visited this pub with a group of friends I haven't seen for a long time. It had been recommended and seemed really nice when we walked in. The service was dreadful though. We waited around 20 mins for drinks. The barman put one of our food orders through and although he said he'd do them all at the same time, walked off and another person started serving us so the rest of our food orders went through 20mins later. Food took ages to arrive, one of us ate and finished before the rest of the meals had arrived and our drinks finished. Such a shame as was looking to have a nice catch up lunch all together. For atmosphere it's a nice place but if you want food and cocktails service is really slow and not customer friendly.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hi Jo, thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment and let us know about the problems you had. Service is really important to us and we're sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We will address this with the bar staff and kitchen team, and we will be focusing heavily on customer service in our training sessions. Please accept our apologies for the problems and hopefully you'll see a difference when you return.

There are newer reviews for Soul Food Project at The Victoria

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I've been going to The Victoria for a few years now for both food and drink (and the quiz night, which is brilliant week in, week out). Sadly it seems the quality, along with that of most venues with the same owners is slipping. Used to be really well cooked, basic soul food. It is still okay but on my most recent visit the burger I had tasted really plain and the pulled pork topping it had foregone any interesting flavours in favour of bland burning spice. Used to be one of my favourite things to eat in Birmingham. The key lime pie was really thin and contained too much zest, lacking a nice creamy texture.

That said the Victorian lemonade remains a nice cocktail, even if each staff member seems to make it completely differently. Some leaving the absinthe in, some pouring it away completely (in spite of my protestations) and some serving it in a shot glass on the side. Personally I prefer it mixed in but when I asked the one barmaid to do this she insisted it had to be poured away because "that was the way she had been shown" which seemed silly as it was just going to waste anyway. Thats a general symptom of the service at most times, there are a few staff who seem to really care but most seem happy to do things by the book and stand around chatting.

It's a shame because they have the building blocks of a great venue, just seems rather haphazard nowadays.

Oh and bring back the peanut butter, oreo cheesecake. It was heavenly and the new desserts are awful in comparison.

1  Thank Parkjosephh

Hi Joseph, thanks for taking the time to leave comments and let us know some of the issues you had on your visit to us. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the food and we've passed on your comments: they'll be amending the dessert offerings when the new menu comes out next year (we loved the Oreo Cheesecake too) and we'll be checking over the pulled pork. As a matter of interest, did you bring the food back at the time so the kitchen could rectify it?

In regards to the drink there is a set specification for a Victorian Lemonade which is to wash the glass with absinthe and then discard it, but like you say it's going to waste and if the customer wants to keep it then that's fine. We're not sure why the member of staff didn't do this for you, but thanks for bringing it to our attention as it means we can do some more focused training around the issue.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I used to love this place and went here quite regularly (both for talks upstairs and generally). I really liked the chicken burger and sweet potato fries I had there a while ago. Unfortunately on this occasion one of the staff members was so rude to me when serving my drinks that it made me so upset that I ended up crying, paying for my drinks and then leaving. My work was supposed to have a meal/social there two days later but based on my experience and the other comments on here we took our business elsewhere. It's a shame that a visually appealing place that offers good food has to be let down in this way.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience on the occasion you visited us. We would very much like to act on your feedback and would ask if you kindly wouldn't mind messaging myself or the venue directly via email on info@thevictoriabirmingham.co.uk with a description of the member of staff and day/time you visited so we can deal with the issue you have raised. Again I am very sorry for your experience and disappointed that we let you down on this occasion.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have been to this trendy pub a few times and always enjoy the spicy "American Deep South~" food that they serve.

They usually have 4 draught real ales available, which are served well.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I visited on a lunch break as I was working nearby and service was terribly slow which isn't ideal when you only have one hour to eat and get back. Waited ages at the bar to get served as the staff member was on her mobile. We ordered the Halloumi and houmous wrap for £5 and extra chips for £1. How you can go wrong with a plain wrap, houmous, salad leaves and Halloumi I don't know. However, the Halloumi was burnt not chargrilled. Chips were lovely. The decor was lovely and loved the 80s music. I drink at The Victoria but I wouldn't be quick to order food here again even though the dinner menu sounds amazing.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we're sorry to hear you had problems with the food. The Halloumi is listed on the main menu as Blacked Halloumi as it is coated in spices before being seared in the pan, which gives it a blackened look which could be mistaken for burnt. We will make sure that this is made more clear in the lunch menu. We will also look into the speed of the service.