“A really good place”

Soul Food Project at The Victoria
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Soul Food Project is a first for Birmingham, dedicated to the sights and sounds from America’s deep south. Soul Food's 'Deep South Diner' at The Victoria is where you'll find the team cooking up the meanest burgers this side of Birmingham, hearty gumbos (a melting pot of meats, peppers and spices), jambalayas, homemade pies, cajun sandwiches, red beans 'n' pork and a twist on the classic British Sunday roast.Voted in 2012 by ShortList Magazine (and it's readers) in the top ten gastropubs in the UK, the only Midlands venue to be included.
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Good music, good beer, good atmosphere and good food.
That all said it is an "alternative" pub.... But next time I am in an anonymous Central Birmingham hotel I will be back at The Victoria

There are newer reviews for Soul Food Project at The Victoria

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were staying at the Ibis Budget down the road so this was within 15 mins walking distance. As is the norm for me and my lot, we were looking for some hangover relief and one of my mates recommended this place. I was pleasantly surprised to read the menu and discover that they weren't serving your standard pub grub but a variety of 'Soul Food' dishes which to you or I translates to: Food Glorious Food. Interesting decor, and a good old soundtrack (Savage Garden anyone?) to keep us entertained. Place was quiet at 1130pm but by the time we left at 230pm it was packed! My mate had the peanut butter burger and said it was incredible. Some had the pulled pork and said the same thing. I opted for the Veg Mouqueca which was essentially a sweet potato and plantain curry with rice. Although it was nice, it lacked flavour to me and seemed a tad bland. I could have done with some more heat or sweetness or something. Tried my mate's sweet potato and Jalapeno croquettes which were heavy and filling especially with the blue cheese dip. Too stodgey for me and she couldn't finish them. I also disliked the onion rings they were strange tasting - the batter was almost rubbery and I suspect made from corn bread? Tried some of my friend's chocolate brownies which again were on the heavy side and could not be finished. The coffee creme brulee was a little thin and didn't really need the coffee flavour. ANYWAY. All in all it filled us up but was a bit on the heavy side. Good for a change though and decently priced! Oh and all the staff are really charismatic and from Australia.

1  Thank Elmo1989_03
Reviewed 6 December 2013

On a trip into Birmingham with my son to visit the German Christmas Market, we had been there only a few minutes when it was all closed down due to high winds and rain... so we made our way just down the road to The Victoria which I think is billed as a Theatre Pub and Deep South Diner.

We entered and found a lovely relaxed atmosphere, subdued lighting and decent background music, not so loud you couldn't talk but not so quiet that you couldn't hear it. there were just a few folks seated in the lounge. We found ourselves a corner and got drinks from the Bar, two pints of 'Butty Bach' absolutely excellent ale. The staff were very friendly and the menu looked excellent but they also had a special offer on for lunch (2pm - 5pm) with a choice of three dishes for just £5 or £6 with home made chips... we both had the Southern Fried Wrap with chips. A couple more beers ordered from the Bar and our food was delivered, succulent tasty chicken in a wrap with a small salad, coleslaw and a handfull of chips. Just right for a nice lunch. We stayed on for a couple of hours and a couple more pints before making our way to New Street Station just a few hundred yards away for the train home. The Victoria is truly a nice place to be in a wet and windy city. First Class

1  Thank Ian E
Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Hi Ian, thanks for leaving us such lovely feedback. We're glad we could offer such a pleasurable experience - particularly on what was such a miserable day weather wise. The Soul Food Project Southern Fried Chicken Wraps are customer (and staff), favourites so we're very pleased to hear you enjoyed them too. We hope next time you're in Birmingham you come and visit us again for a pint - we've also got some nice craft bottled beers which might interest you too, just ask a member of staff!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We enjoyed the pleasure of the Vic this afternoon being warmly welcomed and looked after by all the staff. Our cocktails were to die for and we had a fabulous Sunday roast. We will definitely be back with more of our mates next time. We are hard pressed to understand the contrasting experience of a few other punters. We have frequented this pub for 5 years and have never once had a bad experience in all this time.

1  Thank Candee P

Hi Candee, it's always great to hear from a regular. Thank you for your continued support and we're so pleased to hear you've had many enjoyable experiences - we hope you have many more!

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I visited this pub with a group of friends I haven't seen for a long time. It had been recommended and seemed really nice when we walked in. The service was dreadful though. We waited around 20 mins for drinks. The barman put one of our food orders through and although he said he'd do them all at the same time, walked off and another person started serving us so the rest of our food orders went through 20mins later. Food took ages to arrive, one of us ate and finished before the rest of the meals had arrived and our drinks finished. Such a shame as was looking to have a nice catch up lunch all together. For atmosphere it's a nice place but if you want food and cocktails service is really slow and not customer friendly.

Laura C, Manager at Soul Food Project at The Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Hi Jo, thanks for taking the time to leave us a comment and let us know about the problems you had. Service is really important to us and we're sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We will address this with the bar staff and kitchen team, and we will be focusing heavily on customer service in our training sessions. Please accept our apologies for the problems and hopefully you'll see a difference when you return.