“good stay”

Ranked #91 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“good stay”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Ive stayed at this hotel twice now and have been happy with both stays. Very clean and has all the facilities id need. the only thing id like is the facility of all the tv channels that others like the bristol ibis does

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for writing a review about your stay at the ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus hotel.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I apologise as due to the characteristics of the antenna emplacements we are not able to receive all of the TV channels that are available in other ibis in UK.

Sincerely
Raul Navarro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel in mid-December 2013 for my graduation at the University of Birmingham. I stayed with my parents and boyfriends (2 rooms) and we had a very pleasant stay during that time.

PROS
- The Wifi is free in rooms after agreeing to their Ts and Cs.
- Extremely easy to check in and out, especially if you have paid beforehand (check-out took us less than a minute)
- The hotel is easy to find and access, especially by car. There are separate car and pedestrian gates.
- Parking for 24 hours is £3 which is reasonable, and if you have a room facing the car park as we did it is possible to park right in front of your room
- Extremely central location (15 minutes to the Bull Ring, one minute from the O2 Academy)
- Breakfast is plentiful, tasty and quiet
- Staff were helpful and friendly
- I did not find the room anywhere near as noisy or bright as other reviewers have stated. I find this to be extremely harsh, in fact. I am not bothered by light or noise nearly as much as many others I meet, however...
- For those concerned by the motel-style setting, the rooms have double doors to as to keep the heat in during the colder months, which was greatly appreciated!
- We found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. While it is true that a refurbishment is needed, the staff are clearly doing a good job with what they have.

CONS
- Initially the staff could not find our booking on check-in, however that was solved very quickly once we showed them our papers. I therefore recommend bringing your booking documentation if you are not already in the habit of doing this.
- While the area is "dodgy", those who know Birmingham will see it as pretty normal for such an industrial-style city. I would, however, still remain on your guard.
- The breakfast may be plentiful and full of variety, however some MAY consider it expensive at around £7 per head. Compare this to a cooked breakfast at a standard restaurant, however, and you may not be so deterred by the price.
- The price for the room is so-so. Compared to other hotels in the area, however, it is very competitive.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is after a no-fuss hotel in the central area of Birmingham. For those after a more luxurious stay I would recommend you look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your the time and effort you put in your comments. We are really thankful as this is always really helpful for any other visitors to appreciate the small details that bring a pleasant stay like you experienced

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a saturday night when out in birmingham. Plenty of car parking space and good value at £3 a day. 10 min walk to the bullring and the surrounding area really is not that bad! Friendly receptionist and interesting motel like rooms. Pleasantly suprised as we expected a sat night before xmas to be noisy but we were not disturbed at all. Bed very comfortable but room basic, no frills and not really worth the £100 we paid, would stay again if room a more reasonable rate

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your time to write a review about your stay, we very much appreciate your comments.

Comments from our guests are always welcomed as they help us to improve the quality of our services.

I apologise as you booked your room within one of the busiest days and we could not offer you any better deal, hotel rooms rates increase in busy periods like the one you stayed and on these dates it was almost impossible to find cheaper rates in any other hotels.

London
Reviewed 12 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have stayed here on several occasions. If you book in advance it is good vale at around £30-33 per night. The positives: free internet and rooms in okay condition. The negatives: only basic TV channels (no free view) and parking is £3 per night which is not terrible for Birmingham.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I apologise as due to the emplacements of the antennas we are not able to receive free view channels for the moment.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stay in Birmingham regularly and stayed in lots of hotels.
This one is tatty round the edges, dirty carpets and in need of a refurb.
Expensive for the price.
Staff are helpful and friendly though. The manager sorted out a booking problem. But unfortunately did not know I had pre-authorisation on my debit card and demanded I do it again. No apology was forthcoming for his mistake.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, as this helps us to improve the quality of our services.

Raul Navarro

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Kongsberg, Norway
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed her one night during a business trip.
We all thought of Bates Motel. I would call this a Motel. You need to go outside to access your room. Slow but friendly service at the "front desk", painted in terrible purple. I guess they couldn`t help it.
Small room, but I`m fine with that. The toilet however was running constantly, and the traffic noise doesn't help your sleep. Shower seem to fight gravity, good luck washing the soap off your balls…
They ordered us a taxi that could`t provide a decent receipt.
I would never stay here again, and you should`t either.
If you`re on a tight budget, still look elsewhere. In its defense its rather central.
I had an early flight so I skipped breakfast. My colleagues informed me I did`t miss much.

Room Tip: Facing the parking lot would reduce the traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. We are 24 hours in reception and happy to short out any problem like the one we seem to have experienced with your toilett, but we were not aware of that during your stay.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here 30 November, we were going to an event at the NIA. It is not a bad walk to the arena but like a previous reviewer said it really is not a good area to be walking around, especially alone.
The hotel is similar to campanile hotels, the rooms are ok but tired. The lighting outside of rooms may be good to get you too your room but they then mean you cannot sleep! Ibis have notices in stating they have blackout curtains, but they do not work it is almost light enough to read in bed witboht the light on.
The reception/bar/breakfast area is a joke, there was one member of staff doing the reception and the bar and she couldn't even manage to get drinks for 6 of us. Her lack of understanding was a problem. They only had one bottle of wine in the fridge and even that didn't have enough left in for a full glass!
In the "restaurant" they are charging £10 for a frozen Chicago town pizza! And unfortunately there is no where close by to go as an alternative.
And then to breakfast... one member of staff covering the reception and breakfast. The choice could have been ok, but there was not enough food out for the 6 of us to eat together, we had to wait for bacon, eggs, mushrooms and the rest of the food was cold! The toaster hadn't even been plugged in ( it was after 8 on a Sunday) so we also had to ask for that to be done as it is behind the bar!
We have stayed in ibis hotels before, and yes they are budget, but this is a very poor example.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies, I wish to confirm I will address your comments to the team working on this day as this is not the image or the standard of quality given as per other comments