I stayed here last night. It is a 2 minute walk to the O2 Academy and 10-15 minute walk to New Street (either via the subway or crossings). It is a gated property which is locked at 11 pm (when access is via an intercom). On arrival there is a reception/bar area by the car park and this is welcoming & well staffed. Check-in was very quick & the person who greeted me was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is split into two 'blocks' which each have 2 stores & walkways to the rooms. I was allocated room 35 which was in the second block and at the back of the hotel. To get to the room there were steps and a short walkway and once there it was separated from the road by a high hedge (great for privacy) & the fence. I have to admit as a solo female traveller being on the ground floor at the back of the hotel wasn't ideal. However, I'm sure the person on reception would have tried to change my room if I had asked.
To get into the room there was swipe card activation which took me into a little vestibule area. The first door has a deadbolt but I would have also liked to have seen a chain. I was also a little confused by the clear glass window in the vestibule area which would have meant housekeeping would have a clear view into the room (thankfully I was up, showered & dressed before they arrived!). The room itself was a very good size and clean but in need of refurbishment. The bed was large and very comfortable and there were several good lighting options. A new carpet & soft furnishings would make a big difference because there were stains and the room was looking a little worn. The bathroom was also a good size with a fairly powerful over-bath shower, complimentary toiletries & fresh soft towels. Again, a little TLC would help to modernise the property.
I had a good nights sleep and I would recommend the hotel as a budget stop-over in a quiet but central part of Birmingham. However, the prices seem to be on the same scale as other budget hotel chains which are better presented.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street is in the city centre, 700 m from the train station. Easily accessible from the M6, M1 and M42 motorways, it is 10 min on foot from the international convention centre, the National Indoor Arena and the Symphony Hall.30 min by car from the National Exhibition Centre, it has 51 rooms and an intimate restaurant, a bar offering snacks 24 hours 7 days, a terrace and free parking. Wireless Internet access for business guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Lastminute, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus Hotel Birmingham
- Accor Birmingham Holloway Circus