“Good budget hotel but a refurb is needed”

ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night. It is a 2 minute walk to the O2 Academy and 10-15 minute walk to New Street (either via the subway or crossings). It is a gated property which is locked at 11 pm (when access is via an intercom). On arrival there is a reception/bar area by the car park and this is welcoming & well staffed. Check-in was very quick & the person who greeted me was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is split into two 'blocks' which each have 2 stores & walkways to the rooms. I was allocated room 35 which was in the second block and at the back of the hotel. To get to the room there were steps and a short walkway and once there it was separated from the road by a high hedge (great for privacy) & the fence. I have to admit as a solo female traveller being on the ground floor at the back of the hotel wasn't ideal. However, I'm sure the person on reception would have tried to change my room if I had asked.

To get into the room there was swipe card activation which took me into a little vestibule area. The first door has a deadbolt but I would have also liked to have seen a chain. I was also a little confused by the clear glass window in the vestibule area which would have meant housekeeping would have a clear view into the room (thankfully I was up, showered & dressed before they arrived!). The room itself was a very good size and clean but in need of refurbishment. The bed was large and very comfortable and there were several good lighting options. A new carpet & soft furnishings would make a big difference because there were stains and the room was looking a little worn. The bathroom was also a good size with a fairly powerful over-bath shower, complimentary toiletries & fresh soft towels. Again, a little TLC would help to modernise the property.

I had a good nights sleep and I would recommend the hotel as a budget stop-over in a quiet but central part of Birmingham. However, the prices seem to be on the same scale as other budget hotel chains which are better presented.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DrEmmaPreece
ibisCentreIrvingSt, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for your comments, it is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

I am glad to hear you had positive experience in our hotel in spite the points of improvement you would like to see in the furure. I will share your comments with my team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thanks again for your time to share your experience with other travelers, we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as this one.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ibisCentreIrvingSt, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Came for a two night stay on a family trip.

All the staff myself and my family have encountered were nothing but fantastic and could not do enough to help.

The room was small but funtional and it was clean and comfortable.

I am very particular about bed because i have issues with my back and the bed was great, a good matress and fairly comfy pillows.

We opted to have a breakfast with our stay which was good, a selection of cooked food including sausages, bacon and hash browns. There was a selection of cereals and fresh fruit to.

I would come back to this hotel if i come back to birmingham.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alan s

Dear guest,

Thanks for your time to share your experience in our hotel.

I will share your comments with our team, it is always a pleasure to receive this feed back about the staff service.

Thank you again, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Comfy bed, great location and price. All the things you need in a budget hotel. Added to this was a very clean, but slightly dated, room and excellent service from the reception staff. A parking ticket only costs £3 per 24 hours and is secure behind an electric gate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels
ibisCentreIrvingSt, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for your time to share your experience with other travelers.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We did the advanced booking and got a very competitive price for a hotel (motel) so close to the city centre. It only took us 10 mins from New St station. Comfortable rooms if a shade tired with Wi-Fi at no extra cost. What really surprised us was how quiet it was, we were overlooking the parking places, not the street, though that was never busy. Very pleasant gardens with what looked like good late night security.
We were told that residents parking was £3 a day.
The only slight downside was that the options for eating/drinking locally were limited but there was loads of choice 15/20mins away.

Room Tip: First floor, high number, overlooking car park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thanks for your time to share your experience with other travelers.
It is always a pleasure to hear positive comments and I am really glad you had a quiet and pleasant stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in our hotel again.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed here after most other hotels were extremely pricey. Admittedly this hotel is about 15-20 minutes walk from new st / moor st rail stations, but this is doable if you have the time and not lots of bags. There is also parking at the hotel for guest if travelling by car.
The hotel is gated which is nice as you feel safe.
Their arent lots of rooms and the hotel is surrounded by gardens, request a ground floor room if you dont walk up stairs.
The receptionist was friendly and there is also a bar area next to reception.
If visiting the 02 academy this hotel is 3 minutes walk which is great!
The room was large and there was a bath/ shower in the bathroom it was clean and ideal for a stay in Birmingham

Room Tip: back facing means you dont get the main road- ask for overlooking the carpark if you dont like car n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ibisCentreIrvingSt, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for your comments, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that all in all you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also, thanks for pointing out the existence of the fence round the hotel that helps us ensure the safety of our gests and the carps parked in our premises, in spite not everybody likes this fact I am glad it helped you fell more comfortable.

Thanks again for your time to share your experience with other travelers, we hope to welcome you back in our hotel again.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ibisCentreIrvingSt, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014