“Privacy not included!”

ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 November 2010

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Reviewed 26 July 2010

we stayed in this hotel for night out purposes. We needed a room for 3 people, so we had one room, all was fine until we came in from our night out to find that someone had been in our room whilst we had been gone, which we were all extremely angry about as all of our belongings were in there and the thought of someone snooping into our private room was awful. second to this, the room happened to be based on 2 people, when checking in it appeared that 3 people was fine, until at 3am they decided it wasnt allowed, so we stood in reception for an hour and a half trying to sort the situation out. the staff were very rude, unhelpful and prolonged the situation. alls we wanted to do was to go to bed and get some sleep, but they would not allow us in the room we had paid for, all because of one extra person! we were an hour and a half away from home, and they wanted us to get a taxi! the way in which the situation was handled was disgusting, and after all that they decided to let us stay in there anyway, which by then had ruined our night and we were shattered. There was a warden on site who went around all the rooms at night time knocking on peoples doors, which was extremely annoying. when we checked in they told us our room had been cancelled, even though it was a non-cancellation room! and by luck there was a room free, as this is a small hotel. The room had bugs everywhere so we went on a squashing mission, there was a wet puddle on the carpet in one corner of the room which i dread to think what it was. I will never stay here again and will warn other people of what a nightmare it was for us.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, General Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at ibis Holloway Circus in Birmingham. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Feel free to email me on h2092-gm@accor.com to discuss this further. Kind regards, Joanna.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

The hotel looks more like a hostel, and for me, I found it cosy for that reason; almost like I was in a guest house. The reception area is warm and welcoming and the rooms are standard rooms but spacious. Having stayed in hotels in Central London for much more, I was pleased with the size of the room. I cannot really complain about anything, it was a pleasant stay I had and cosy,too.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2010

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus. I look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel. Kind regards, Joanna.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

Stayed here for a single night on a friday for a wedding. I have stayed at many etap's and Ibis hotels all over the world before. I would say that it was not the best I have stayed at. People have mentioned the big green gates but I felt this was good considering I bought my car and I knew that it was secure. The hotel is more like an American motel but I found my room fine.

The room itself was quite small but adequate. It was clean but tatty around the edges. Could do with a refurb but the bed was comfy enough and I slept well. I would say the hotel is average and the area was not too bad. Location is good. I would stay again simply for the parking.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to ibis Birmingham Holloway Circus. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We have noted your comments about the suggested hotel refurbishment, which we are addressing. Kind regards, Joanna.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

I booked into this hotel in a hurry for a business job, and as I carry a lot a valuable equipment in my car I was attracted by it's secure car parking. Staff seemed friendly enough when I arrived, but soon after booking into my room I realised that this seemed to be the place that clubbers use as a base for their party nights. The walls are very thin and after an hour of putting up with screaming and blasting music from next door I checked out , knowing that my noisy neighbours would no doubt return in the early hours to carry on with their party.
Still, it was cheap, and I guess you get what you pay for. Not like any other Ibis I have been to. Probably ideal if you're a group of teenagers looking for a cheap base in Birmingham for a stag night, but apart from that, leave well alone!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
IBISHOLLOWAYCIRCUS, Manager at ibis Birmingham Centre Irving Street, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2010

Reviewed 30 May 2010

This hotel is at the budget end of the Ibis brand, in a slightly downmarket location. On the plus side, it's got secure parking and is great for visitors to city centre venues such as the o2 academy or the gay village.

The room, though slightly dated and in the peculiar chalet style this hotel has, was clean and tidy if sparse. The breakfast bar was decent for the price and well presented.

The downside to my stay was a right royal mess up on check-in. Room 1 was unserviced. Upon settling into room 2, we found another guest had also been allocated out room, along with working keycards. This was unforgivable, no matter what the standard or brand of hotel.

To fair to the staff member, he apologised for his mistake, but only offered a free drink when pushed. I eventually pushed him to include complimentary breakfasts for the 2 night stay, which amount to a little more that 25% of the room costs.

All in all a reasonable budget location let down by staff errors.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at ibis Holloway Circus in Birmingham. Please feel free to let us know immediately if you have any concerns during your stay in the future. Kind regards, Joanna.

Reviewed 30 May 2010

Good things - service, breakfast OK, bed good, bathroom good, free car park.
But....as a business woman on my own felt very vunerable - rooms are all on walkways - old tenament block -like somethnig out of Tower Hamlets. Couldn't open window at night because large windows front onto common walkway- very hot room - no sleep - people walk rigth outside your window late at night. Hotel in rough area - I used it as a base and parked my car. I felt so threatened walking from there into town each day that I tipped all my papers into a Tesco bag to fit in better. Carpet was so stained I kept my shoes on even in my room.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business