“Great value, quiet luxury rooms better than other surrounding hotels”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 January 2012

If you are looking for somewhere quiet and comfortable then this place is hard to beat for the money.

We got a large reduction at short notice online and stayed for 2 nights after walking out on a hotel over the road.

Staff were great, that rooms were as luxurious as they can be for this class and although there is construction happening next door the place was 'pin drop' quiet at night. The staff even helped us find great local food at 3:30 in the morning! They saved our weekend and we'll stay there again !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LondonPoolite

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I'm not the type to write reviews but on this occasion my wife insisted as we had such a excellent experience. Paid £80 for a 'Queen' room which for the high standard of the accommodation provided was really good value- I've paid lot more in the past for a much inferior product.
As mentioned, the rooms are great and service is also very friendly and efficient. As we were in Birmingham, we thought we'd go for a curry and the chap at reception recomended a place 10 mins walk down the road called Rose Marie where the food was teriffic and added to the overall positive experience we had.
Other things we liked about this place: free fast wi-fi and very reasonable drink prices at the bar with no 'service charge' to have drinks delivered to your room.
Will definatley be staying here again next time we're visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank john w
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I am ryanair staff,and i have been few times overnighting there and i think is very nice place to stay.
Restaurant is getting much better,and recepcionists are very kindly.
I recomend it as i have been in to many places and i know what i´m talking about.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Alber2123
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here only one night but the impression was great. The receptionist who is Spanish was very friendly with us and helped us to find the best way to visit the places we wanted and recommended some good restaurants and places to have fun. The room and its bathroom were new, warm and classy. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but the room included tea, coffee and biscuits.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed here as part of a birthday weekend with my best friend and to be honest we are very low maintenance it had everything we needed. Staff were always helpful and friendly, leaving us extra biccies etc!

Beautifully decorated rooms and lovely shower. They were always kind enough to call us a taxi and answer any requests we may have had. We had complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits, a fridge, iron, bath robes, towels, shower caps, sewing kit, soaps and a hairdryer as well as ironing board/iron! Flatscreen TV was a big plus point too!

We didn't eat breakfast or dinner as we were either asleep or out, but it was also very peaceful good location and free parking was a bonus point as the hotels closer to broad street charge you for this. Taxi ride was about 7-8 pounds though, but buses go to town as well but a cab is a must after a night out. B'ham nightlife is amazing, Broad Street is preferred even though I'm from London!

I don't like to moan about tiny things but the only downside I can think of was the bathroom door didn't have a working lock (although between me and my best friend we really didn't mind) and there wasn't much going on with the restaurant service as the chef had his own schedule going on (which we didn't care for much either as we always ate out!)

Amazing stay, thank you for everything..I love Birmingham! Made my birthday perfect! :-D

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Booked this hotel for two nights for my partners 30th Birthday as we had planned a weekend trip to Birmingham, before arriving I specifically asked for us to be allocated a room away from the building works and for a champagne bucket and flutes to be in the room as we were planning to celebrate.
Arrived on Saturday afternoon the reception staff were very friendly and greeted us - on getting to the room I was somewhat shocked to see that we were right by the building works and was upset to find no champagne flutes or bucket in the room and the bath was rather aged full of scratches and scuffs, I don't like to complain so I just dismissed this but was somewhat annoyed.
Within an hour my partner decided he was hungry and wanted to order a sandwich to the room - went to ring reception but no phone in the room, next the fire alarm went off,after leaving the room to evacuate the building the alarm stopped sounding but by this time I was quite angry so decided to go to reception and explain that we were upset by the building site, no phone in room and no bucket or glasses.
To be fair we were given a new room straight away and the hotel did bring the bucket and glasses to the room within a few minutes and 20 minutes later a bottle of wine was brought to the room with compliments of the hotel.
Just a couple more negatives: Sunday evening about 7pm we went to the hotel bar but it was closed, the hotel is very modern with lovely decor but the room doors remain old and aged, the water flow was very slow.
Apart from the above we had a lovely weekend and the rooms were decorated well and were very stylish and all the staff were very friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the building site!
Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My partner stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago and recommended this place as I was visiting Birmingham for a friend's wedding. I was really impressed by the high standard of the rooms- especially the bed which was one of the most comfortable I've slept in. The designers have done a great job in making the rooms feel cosy and warm yet also very contemporary with nice co-ordination of soft furnishings. There's some other good touches like bathrobes, iron/ironing board nicely tucked away in one of the wardrobes.
One of my big fears when staying in a hotel is the cleanliness of the bathroom but in this case it seemed almost brand new so that was also a big plus. The only negative I would point out is the toiletries- these need to be much higher quality. A hotel of this standard should have Molten Brown or similar and there should be a much wider array available.
I didn't eat dinner or breakfast in the restaurant so can't comment on that but did order some drinks on room service which were delivered in about 2 minutes- so great service there!
Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: My room was 1016 which was fab, not sure if all rooms are the same
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thanks very much for your review. My team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Clarion Collection Birmingham. I will discuss with our suppliers regarding the in-room toiletries in order to ensure that these meet the standards expcected and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.