“Nearly there”

Ranked #106 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Nearly there”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Initially this hotel is good value for money. First things that appealed to me were free car parking and free wifi, already saving me £15 compared to my usual hotel in Birmingham. Drawbacks for me were, despite being a modern designed room, I kept finding unclean features the further I looked. Recent glass ring stains on the furniture, chipped drinking glass in the bathroom and general shoddy cleaning around the room. I love a bath but actually missed my opportunity as after 20 minutes of running it was still only half way full.
So sack the cleaners, sort out the water pressure and you're in business. Til then, I think not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review. We really appreciate feedbck from guests to continually improve the service we offer. I will certainly be talking to the housekeeping department about the issues you have mentioned and will ensure that standards are maintained to our normally high levels. Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We had to visit Birmingham at short notice as my brother-in-law who was serving in Afghanistan was flown back to the QE medical centre for treatment (all UK servicemen injured in action are brought to this hospital in Birmingham). Unfortunately there was a major event (Spring fair I was informed) on in Birmingham at the same time so all the main hotels in the City were fully booked but the Clarion said they had a couple of rooms left.
I usually stay in hotels where I’m paying £200+ per night but in this case we paid just under half that so didn’t really have too high expectations. The outside of the hotel at the front looks more like a large Victorian house but when you drive to the back into the car park (which is free) you can see the new modern block which has obviously been added more recently.
Check in was very quick and efficient, just had to sign a registration card and was given our room card. The room was an ‘executive’ and when you walk through the door you do get a pleasant surprise as it’s really modern and there’s hardly any wear/tear that you normally see in hotel rooms.
This hotel is not in the City Centre (about 2 miles out) but it’s actually very well located for the QE medical centre (5 minute drive- you just take a right at one set of traffic lights and then it’s pretty much a straight road there.)
A word on service- the reception/front desk staff are very good, the breakfast staff though seemed a little inexperienced- probably haven’t been working here very long.
Overall, I base my score on the price and the quality of the room which after all is the main purpose of a hotel. I would though suggest to the owners to improve the external appearance of the hotel to make it as good as the interior as I suspect they would get a lot more business if people were aware of the standard of product being offered which is not all apparent if you were driving past this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review. It's always very pleasing to hear when guests have had a satisfactory experience at the hotel. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future and we'll aim to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed here for one night, the room is clean and a good size but we were only provided with one shower towel which was not clean so had to use hand towel. Check out time is 11am so beware but we requested 12pm checkout and the receptionist was ok with that. The lift doesnt work by the way. The room window is facing the car park so you will hear the engines starting up in the morning. Would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012
yasin h, Guest Relations Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear guest, I’m quite surprised by the title of your review. If you were not satisfied with the towels provided in your room you should simply have asked the hotel staff to rectify this. All our rooms come with 2 freshly cleaned bath towels but it’s possible that housekeeping may have made an oversight in this case. However, we could have very quickly and easily given you replacement towels if you had brought this to the attention of my staff- there was certainly no need for such a minor issue to be a “nightmare”!
Regarding the lift not working, I am not aware of any recent issues with the lift and certainly its working fine now but if you can let me have details of your stay I can investigate further.
We do have a large free car park which is conveniently located on the hotel premises. Obviously some rooms will face the car park but we have double glazed windows throughout so noise should be very minimal.
If you wish to discuss anything further, please feel free to call me on 0121 4102263.
Thank you and kind regards, Mike Barnes
London
Reviewed 13 January 2012

If you are looking for somewhere quiet and comfortable then this place is hard to beat for the money.

We got a large reduction at short notice online and stayed for 2 nights after walking out on a hotel over the road.

Staff were great, that rooms were as luxurious as they can be for this class and although there is construction happening next door the place was 'pin drop' quiet at night. The staff even helped us find great local food at 3:30 in the morning! They saved our weekend and we'll stay there again !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LondonPoolite
Cumbernauld
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I'm not the type to write reviews but on this occasion my wife insisted as we had such a excellent experience. Paid £80 for a 'Queen' room which for the high standard of the accommodation provided was really good value- I've paid lot more in the past for a much inferior product.
As mentioned, the rooms are great and service is also very friendly and efficient. As we were in Birmingham, we thought we'd go for a curry and the chap at reception recomended a place 10 mins walk down the road called Rose Marie where the food was teriffic and added to the overall positive experience we had.
Other things we liked about this place: free fast wi-fi and very reasonable drink prices at the bar with no 'service charge' to have drinks delivered to your room.
Will definatley be staying here again next time we're visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank john w
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I am ryanair staff,and i have been few times overnighting there and i think is very nice place to stay.
Restaurant is getting much better,and recepcionists are very kindly.
I recomend it as i have been in to many places and i know what i´m talking about.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Alber2123
Spain
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here only one night but the impression was great. The receptionist who is Spanish was very friendly with us and helped us to find the best way to visit the places we wanted and recommended some good restaurants and places to have fun. The room and its bathroom were new, warm and classy. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but the room included tea, coffee and biscuits.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends