“Very nice hotel at a decent price”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #106 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel at a decent price”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We’ve stayed here once before, last year shortly after it opened, but never got around to posting a review up for it. Now we've booked again I thought I should write a review.
We had the superior room last time but this time booked an executive- it was £10 more but you get an enormous bed.
Arrived early and asked if we could just drop the bag off and go back out however, the lovely lady on reception advised us that our room was ready so we were able to check-in first, leave our bags in the room and then go out.
The bedroom is very modern and although they are not the biggest rooms/bathrooms we have ever stayed in, they are so well furnished and planned that you don’t need the extra space. You get bathrobes, ironing board and tea/coffee maker all nicely tucked away in the wardrobe.
Bathroom very good quality and everything spick and span.
For us the location was perfect as we had a function at the Botanical Gardens which are just a few minutes drive away. I’ve really enjoyed both my stays at this hotel and I’ve already booked for my next stay when I’ll be coming to Birmingham to watch the England vs West Indies at Edgbaston.

1 Thank charles h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I'll start with the positives.

1. Made to feel very welcome on arrival by receptionist and taken to our room.
2. Room itself was lovely - clean with good quality linen and very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Decor was of high standard.
3. Very quiet during the night (important as we were travelling with our toddler).
4. Free Car Park
5. Breakfast in our room was excellent (I'm not a fan of continental breakfasts but it was really good)
6. Attention to detail. We wanted Weetabix for our toddler - it was presented so nicely alongside a small jug of honey, jug of warm milk and sliced fresh fruit!

Areas that could be improved;

1. Dinner was really good - menu had alot of choice. However, the restaurant could do with better lighting.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. Its hard travelling with children and i felt that the staff made an extra effort to ensure we were all comfortable!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gareth R
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Every member of staff we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful.
The whole hotel was spotless and well presented. Our room 1120 was at the end of the corridor and I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room which was so quiet and peaceful. No noise at all! The room was large and contained everything you'd expect for a hotel of this standard. Again it was very clean, the decor modern and the beds were comfy.
Overall great hotel at a great price and we’ll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: the rooms at the end of the corridors are really quiet.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

stayed one night for husbands birthday treat, Evening meal was disappointing and luke warm. When we went to bed, the bottom sheet had stains on and wasnt made properly which led me to wonder if the sheets had been changed.
The breakfast " hot " buffet was cold and totally inedible.
When we complained about the breakfast another plate of food was brought to us and this was also cold.
When we complained at reception the receptionist was eating his breakfast at the desk! he said the manager would ring us later. Still waiting.

4 Thank castleknott
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest,
I can assure you that as the manager I always respond personally to any guests that have not been satisfied with their stay at the hotel. I'm a little concerend that you may have posted this review for the wrong hotel as you mention that the receptionist was eating "his breakfast" at the desk but we actually don't have any male receptionist working at the hotel except during the evening and night shift.
If you want to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact me on 021 4102263. Thanks

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

athens
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed there for a weekend. Had read negative reviews regarding the restaurant so was a bit apprehensive but did give it a go. I must say the girl that served us Anna was very helpful and the food was of great quality. It is a recently refurbished hotel so it looks very new inside and the rooms are nice and clean. The one thing letting the whole hotel down is the lack of proffesionalism by the staff. Apart from Anna when we where at the bar when she wasn't there no one bothered about asking what we wanted and also in general you got the sense of no care. In general though it is a good hotel with nice food nice clean rooms and good value for money.

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Room was OK though not particularly good value at £195 a night. Avoided the restaurant after all the terrible reviews.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Guest,
I'm pleased you were satisfied with the rooms. Like all hotels, our rates do increase during periods of high demand and this was the case during the recent NEC event. To get the best rates it's always advisable to make a reservation as far in advance as possible.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Having stayed here for two nights recently, i found the bedroom to be of a very good standard, exceptionally clean and modern with everything you would possibly need.
Parking was perfect, receptionist very helpful upon check in and assisted me with my luggage.
my experience however was spoiled by the food ordered at the bar on the first night, i ordered the beef baguette (as stated on the menu) along with chips, when the order came, the beef baguette was a beef burger, not what I was expecting!!!!
On the second night I thought I would order room service, I ordered chicken mayonnaise sandwich, this was listed on the menu to be with red onion and rocket and served with crisps, however when it arrived it was just a fillet of chicken sliced up on white bread, NO ROCKET, NO RED ONION, NO MAYONNAISE and served with chips, not crisps.
Breakfast wasn't too bad, although food could of been hotter, however the selection was good.
if possible it would be nice to have the lights on so you can see your breakfast!

my positives are the staff were very good, attentive at breakfast and pleasant, especially the man who brought my room service.