“On it`s way to being a very nice hotel”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 February 2013

After our stay at the Clarion part of the Clarion Collection by choice Hotel group, I can only praise the staff at the hotel. The service within the hotel and restaurant was impeccable,even though they are decorating the front entrance and various other areas there is still a lot of building work going on.
We were in room 1116. 32" Flat screen TV on the wall, Ipod docking station, Safe, High speed WiFi 24hr Room Service.
The deluxe king size bed was perfect, room is beautifully decorated, clean, comfortable and luxurious. The housekeeping was impeccable and worthy of note as admittedly I am very particular about cleanliness.
The xpelair unit in the bathroom although noisy, just remember to switch it off when your finished. white bathrobes are in the wardrobe, they were not the softest, could have done with being washed in comfort or Lenor. Tea & Coffee making facilities, Ironing board etc all catered for

In the new restaurant the table was lovely as were the waitress.. The A al Carte menu is not really A la Carte, if your going to do this it will need fine tuning.. But the whole dinner started off as a disaster...My disappointment relates to the fact that I couldn't eat the steak that I had ordered and asked for it to be cooked medium still red in the middle, it came cooked through, it was very tuff and extremely hard to chew, there was no way I could even attempt to finish it, I sadly had to send it back and re-order the pork fillets the food was lovely and the surroundings are beautiful.

The chef needs to get a bell to ring when a service is ready to leave the kitchen, hearing him shout at the top of his voice for Patricia to collect a meal from the kitchen when it`s ready is not pleasant for the waitress she is not a dog and further more very unprofessional to the other diners.

We thank the staff especially Patricia lovely Spanish lady for making us so welcome and attentive. (She is a credit to the hotel, you really need to snap her up as she has a degree in Economics)

The bar area is still being refurbished but from what we could see this will be very nice once finished.

I found all staff that we came into contact with to be extremely approachable, both helpful and informative.
When all the work is finished it will be a very nice 4* hotel...

Room Tip: Rooms that has been refurbished ..
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Timeoutqueen

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Needed a hotel for a night when visiting friends. Picked the Clarion as was the cheapest best reviewed, and was not disappointed. Off a main round with plenty of hotels around, this one is pretty big. Plenty of free parking which I didn't use. The check in was efficient with friendly staff, and then we found the room - brilliant! Huge room, huge bed, tea and coffee, ironing board and iron, plenty of storage space - everything you need for a one or two night over. The bathroom was slightly worn in places but still did the job nicely. I didn't try any food but sounded like breakfast went on until 1030. Check out was speedy. Thoroughly recommended as a place to stay for a short trip at a very good price.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed here early November for two nights room 1003..... The Bed was Huge and really comfortable and I had a great sleep. The room has a lovely feel to it and two easy chairs to sit on as you watch the flat screen TV. Bathroom was nice and a good shower. Breakfast fantastic and great staff..... and really helpful receptionists......... and pretty too!!!!.... Not that that makes a difference to this review but I wanted to say it anyhow. I would definatley stay again...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I had a lovely couple of days staying at this hotel and thought it is definitely worth writing a review. The rooms are beautifully decorated, very modern, Location is great and the staffs are so lovely. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

The hotel is far below average for this price range. Facilities are rather old and staff at reception not friendly.
I had one of the worst experiences with hotels ever with the Clarion Collection Birmingham. I booked the hotel mainly because of the location and free parking. As informed by a sign at the reception I registered the license plate of my rented vehicle during check-in. Several weeks after my stay in the hotel I received a parking charge notice from a company called Parking Eye that works for this hotel for the amount of 100 GBP (60 if you pay early). Additionally my car rental company charged me 36 GBP for transferring this notice to me by post. I then started to communicate with the hotel to find a solution for this by Email. At least the hotel informed their parking service provider that the notice was wrong and now I hope that they will not contact me anymore and try to claim the 100 GBP. As I booked the hotel for another stay of my clients at the same time I tried to negotiate with the hotel to cover the 36 GBP that I lost due to the mistake of them or their service provider. As I did not book breakfast my suggestion was to deduct that amount of 36 GBP that I lost due to their (or their agent’s) mistake from the costs for the breakfast in the hotel. This suggestion was declined by the hotel. In the last Email with the hotel the hotel manager tried to prevent me from writing this review by threatening me to go to his lawyers and even the police. He claimed that I was using threats to extract money from his company and that this would be a criminal offence under UK law. I informed the manager of the hotel then that I think my simple suggestion of covering my loss of money here is surely not a criminal act. So now I have lost the 36 GBP and wasted a lot of time on communication with this hotel. Of course I cancelled the second booking I did for the hotel.
If you are expecting “free” parking, be warned! If you are expecting friendly staff and reasonable discussion if any problem occurs, you might not find it here. Birmingham offers plenty of great hotels. Never again the Clarion Collection Birmingham for me!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank travellerWorld88
yasin h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Firstly I would like to clarify that there absolutely is free parking for all hotel guests and visitors at the hotel. There are many signs in the cars park, inside the hotel itself and even a notice in the guest rooms that reminds you to register your vehicle on the terminal at reception. This particular guests (contrary to what he may claim) simply failed to enter his car registration and so was issued a parking charge (the whole process is computerised so if a vehicle reg is entered- it's impossible to get a parking charge). When the guest informed us he had received a notice for a parking charge, we promptly had it cancelled and there was no cost to the guest. The sole reason we have a requirement for guests to register their vehicles when using the hotel car park is to prevent commuters/shoppers from using the parking facilities and ensure there is plenty of parking spaces for genuine guests and visitors.
Therefore, this guest's 'bad' review is based a parking charge that he never had to pay for and since he was apparently going to make a second booking at the hotel for his clients- surely the experience couldn't have been that bad??
(I would also like to point out that this particular guest made a rather unpleasant request at check-in. He asked that 'no coloured housekeepers' should clean his room. To make such a remark in the modern day is simply beyond the pale but sadly reflects this guests' unfortunate mindset).

Reviewed 9 December 2012

The photos look very enticing but the reality isn't quite so good. The room was a bit small, the bathroom very small. I did like the large and comfortable bed though. Other facilities (mini fridge, tv) were as advertised. The wardrobe is cramped with the hanging space taken up by ironing board and bathrobes so it's difficult if you want to hang more than a shirt full length.
I know they skimped on cleanliness though as there was a horrible clump of hair in the plughole and the cleaner had missed a bit of loose change on the floor!
On arrival, limited parking near the door and if you park at the rear (beware, it's very dark) you must swiftly check in your car reg as well as yourself.
As another reviewer stated, it's ok for a business stayover but maybe not for anything else. I am not too bothered because at the laterooms discount rate it was ok but you'd be mad to pay full price.

Room Tip: It's on the main Hagley Road (A456) so is a bit noisy. They do not have accessible rooms or walk...
1  Thank budgetstayer
Reviewed 6 December 2012

There really should be a choice to rate 0 out of 5 because this would certainly get 0. Mouldy windows, questionable stains on pillows, walls and towels, and even cracks in the bath!
Booked the hotel as an early christmas getaway for myself and my boyfriend, and was totally let down and even left refunded as they couldnt argue about the complaints after coming to the room and witnessing for themselves the state of the room (with a less than friendly attitude may i add).
Got to the 'hotel' where we questioned whether we were at the right address as it looked different to pictures, and then parked in a very unsecure car park provided, where anyone can walk through. And then after entering the hotel, we were told that our room wasnt ready for us, so we had to be moved to a different room.
It was an overall total disappointment, and i was very glad to see the back of it.

Room Tip: Don't go here
4  Thank Zara B