The Collection Hotel Birmingham
  • Breakfast included
US$78
US$67
  • Restaurant
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Breakfast included
US$196
US$167
  • Restaurant
All reviewssized bedironing boardflat screen tvmain roadvisiting birmingham
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This hotel is a nightmare, the only 2 positive things I can say are good helpful staff and a good old fashioned cooked breakfast. I was booked into Jury's Inn and got placed here because of overbooking. I was told this was a four star, in reality it's a two star. My bath had a plug missing, so we couldn't have a bath. Three phone calls, three different plugs, and we got there........then there was no hot water, and this continued throughout the stay. The restaurant is accessed through some clear building works, where they are renovating the function room. We went to eat in the restaurant, but it was empty,so we went to the bar, where I was served a pint of Guinness that was off......we gave up and went out. The area of this hotel is seedy, and not like the main hotel area (Broad Street)
The staff are mainly Eastern European, and were lovely......I will not use this venue again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Tosh599
y h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Guest,
I recall personally dealing with your issue regarding the bathroom plug and we found a replcement within about 5 minutes. You may also remeber that I came to your room to check the hot water shortly after your arrival and while I was there you confirmed that it was fine and you never made any call to complain of the issue again during your stay.
I would also point out that there is only decoration work going on in the adjoining function room and the building works were finished several months ago.
As you mention you made a booking with Jury's Inn and we accommodated you at their request. Guests who book directly with us do so as they appreciate the the quieter environment and free parking avilable vs the noisier and expensive parking at broad street hotel which are still only a mile down the road.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

First impressions count and the reception staff were among the friendliest I have encountered. After this the experience was far more average. The rooms are clean but small and felt cluttered. The free advertised wifi kept crashing due to the very weak signal. It was so bad I was unable to use it. A very average hotel saved only by excellent front desk service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank James W
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night.

The hotel is situated about a mile or so from the city centre.Parking is ample and free.The reception area is extremely small and cluttered and frankly simply not up to standard. The receptionist appeared to be untrained and somewhat ill at ease when serving customers.

The corridors are have poor quality carpet and fittings -- the bedrooms are better than this with better quality fittings and good quality televisions installed. To the hotels credit the bedroom was warm and well heated.We missed breakfast so I can't comment one way or another on this aspect of the hotel.

We were telephoned at 11.15am in the morning by a member of staff wondering why we hadn't checked out -- bearing in mind that 11 am is the official checkout time I found that to be extraordinary -- not something I've experienced anywhere else I've ever stayed .

I would not recommend this establishment to fellow travellers -- there's much better available in Birmingham for a similar price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rahims111
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Shocked at the level of service and attention to detail. Here is a short list: dirty walls throughout, shoddy painting, clutter in reception, tables are not cleared in bar from night before, shower mixer didn't work in two separate rooms, chef took order at breakfast table and was just loitering around. tables were not cleared and it was quiet. Staff have a 'I don't care really' attitude. I stayed in a twin room on Fri 5th April 2013 and the following night I had a suite. Yes it was cheap but please pay the extra few quid and stay somewhere half decent. Had to walk through store room and a wedding venue to get to breakfast area. Christmas rapping label on windowsill on floor 2 (its april!) chewing gum and dust in lift for both days. I've took the time to write this to warn off customers hoping for a good hotel. no chance!! avoid avoid avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel in order to enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 31NeilH31

Dear Guest, I’m sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. I am though surprised that none of the points you mention in the review were raised with myself or other hotel staff during your stay. Having worked at many hotels over the years I strongly believe that the hotel offers very good quality rooms at a very good value. If you want to discuss anything further please fre to call me on 021 4102263. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times with groups of friends. The rooms are extremely clean and very nicely decorated. The staff are very helpful. Will definitely be using again in the future. Great hotel at a great price !!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends