“Rude Staff....unpleasant Stay!”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Rude Staff....unpleasant Stay!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't dare book again.....who checks you in....takes payment....sends you a confirmation email and deposit,and on your second night calls your room demanding more money otherwise you have to leave????? Absolutely disgraced with the way my party was spoken to by a few members of staff...this hotel is not somewhere I would ever recommend! Two of the draws broke while there and one actually fell on my leg and cut me!!! Telephone not working! iPod dock not working...so annoying having to go down constantly to communicate! The manager has no people skills what so ever! Lied about who owed the hotel and told me why I was making a big deal out of money he thinks I owed him! Talking rudely infront of other customers! We stayed for the two nights as it was a celebration we didnt want to ruin with having to move to another hotel! Thought it was really funny though how their member of staff thought it was ok to expose that they sacked a member of there staff to me?? How unprofessional! Not a 4* hotel at all.....

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Astarxx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

When we arrived i tried to clean the bath, this is when i discovered that the pop up plug had been replaced by a normal plug and would not fit! I rang reception who did send a guy from the hotel to look at it two hours later. He could not do anything so I could not have the bath I eas looking forward to. I then had a shower which was just about warm. The floor was slippy and there was not a towel for the floor. I then tried to do my hair and make up but when you sit at the table the mirror was too high so I had to stand. There was a dirty mark on the bottom sheet. The bed chair and carpet looked nice as they were new. Reception was untidy this may be due to building work. The staff uninterested. we had stayed in the premiere inn Handforth the night before they could show the Collection Hotel how it is done! if you would like a bath before your evening out check that this simple request is possible!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank lizzystoke

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I booked hotel on booking.com and was happy with location and that there was parking included .
When we got there we were impressed with the look of the hotel even though it was in the middle of renovation . The room was of high spec but when we entered the room it was cold so we put the heating on , no problem . Then whilst having a shower I noticed that the shower was not able to stay in position as the holder wasn't suitable to hold it . Whilst having a shower my partner sat on the loo and it promptly moved because it wasn't bolted down ... Hhhmmm .

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee H
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were with a wedding party ................ a very nice room , a really nice breakfast , the waiter was very helpful , a very pleasant stay in all. A little addition of toiletries in the room would be good , or if people ask at reception for them in case the had come without them . unusual not to have them in the room (to my knowledge its only travel lodges that don't provide them ).
**** PLEAS NOTE .. KEEP EMERGENCY EXCITS CLEAR OF LAUNDRY****** THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM IN CASE OF FIRE .

2 Thank lynda c
Preston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

When we arrived at this hotel I was a little gutted, judging by the outside I didn't know what to expect,. We were unaware when booking that the hotel was going through renovations and the reception is obviously a make shift one whist these are taking place. The reception staff acted as though they had never worked in a hotel before and check in took a while.

However when we got to our room I was pleasantly surprised. Having booked an executive room we had a very big comfy bed, everything was clean and well presented, tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits were provided, lovely and warm and plenty of space.

Was a little disappointed that the water wasn't very hot, had to run the tap for a while which was a bit if a waste. You have to walk to a separate building to get breakfast which is served in a very small room, if we had gone earlier there would have been no room for us. Food was lovely though, lots of choice, all served hot.

Was just what we needed for a night away however would stay somewhere else if I were planning a longer trip.

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The first hint of change came on our arrival to Birmingham Airport, the taxi driver had not heard of the Clarion Collection Hotel. We provided him with the address and on arrival to the hotel, we couldn't see any reference to "Clarion". When we went into the very plain reception area (not minimalist, just plain and giving off a temporary feel), we were dealt with efficiently and we made our way to our room on the ground floor, passing an upholstered bench type hall seat which had an A4 sheet of paper on it, with the words written ... "Please do not sit on this". Given that the piece of furniture was in a public hallway, it is surely curious that the guests should not be allowed to use it?? As we were rushing to an event in Birmingham, we barely dropped our bags and ran, so didn't have time to check out the room, except to note that our room looked onto what seemed to be a back yard which was untidy and uninviting. Thankfully, we weren't planning to spend time, so we just closed the curtains and headed out. On our return to the hotel that night, we noticed that we were short some toiletries and towels, which were supplied without delay by front desk staff. We then discovered that the room fridge was empty and had to go to reception to get a bottle of water. The room and bathroom both seemed clean and joy of joys (!) the bed was really comfortable ... something that should never be taken for granted in a hotel. This was particularly important to us, as we were rising very early to return to the airport and indeed, we both slept like babes! We had to turn on the wall heater for a few minutes as the room felt chilly but it worked well. I cannot comment on breakfast, which I understand is served next door to the hotel. For me, the positives about the hotel were the pleasant staff and the extremely comfortable bed. What it lacks is character or a cohesive interior design. The public spaces look very basic and empty. It may be that when the refurbishment programme is completed, this hotel will rise from being average to being a very good boutique destination .. at present, it's too early to say.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We wanted somewhere convenient for the Symphony Hall (to see Bellowhead). This one had a bus stop with frequent buses to the City Centre and a free car park at the side. We had a large quiet room with an up-to-date bathroom. The Hotel is being refurbished so the breakfast was next door but it was cooked to order. What's not to like. (pssst try room 904.)