“Very disappointed. Poor quality”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #106 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Stourbridge
“Very disappointed. Poor quality”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Quality was appalling. I would prefer to stay in a travel lodge. Checked into the room the quality of finish was unacceptable,bed linen dirty and erupted,tried to call reception and phone didn't work, makeshift holes in the backs on curtains, wires hanging down from wall mounted tv! Quality of rooms very poor. Got moved to an executive suit which again bed linen dirty,bathroom dirty and smaller bed, manager not available at present to give refund and staff didn't know when manager was on shift. This was booked as a surprise for my girlfriend for valentines day which resulted in us going home. Only given one star rating cuz it wouldn't let me give a 0!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wincottnelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

A revolting room with hand prints on the headboard made with what I can only assume was some kind of lube (Judging by its colour and texture). A misc stain on the bed that looked so horrible. Cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. Overall the hotel was cheap looking, at one point I noticed and aerosol can wedged in a doorframe it keep the door open. The lift was an absolute tin can that sounded like it was being held together with tape. There is a large car park at the back completely devoid of marked spaces, instead filled with skips and trash.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Clive G

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Arrived at reception to get checked in, it was cold and had been raining so wanted to hurry and get to the room. There were initially two ladies on reception but one of them left even though it was quite busy- it was full of men who were trying to extend their stay. All I wanted to do was to check in which probably wouldn't have taken that long but she barely acknowledged me and carried on with payments etc for the 4/5 men. This wouldn't have been an issue but the fact it took me almost 25 minutes to get checked in was ridiculous- a good 23 minutes just waiting around. Went up to the room (hall way where the rooms were needed upgrading- was like a very cheap hotel. Also noticed that the hall way was not key card-accessed so anyone from the public could literally walk up to your door) and my key card wouldn't work. Went back down and receptionist sent a man who was a hotel guest up to help me with it! I can understand that she was busy but it wasn't the best service. He couldn't make it work so went back down and she gave me another key card which still didn't work! Then she came in with her key and let me in. I explained that I was going out soon so would need my key and she said to get it on my way out. Took an hour to get into my room, which was pleasant.

Bed comfortable and it was nice and quiet.

The lady said I could check out an hour later because of the issues. Was woken up with a very rude call the next morning saying it was time to leave, explained the situation and she just about understood, still being rude.

I did like the location as it was easy to get food (restaurants across the road). The hotel was also easily accessed by bus! And I'd like to point out that I did get to have a chat with the lady on reception who was lovely and was simply struggling to deal with everything as she had been left alone, even though it was quite busy. Think management need to get it sorted.

Room Tip: I had a queen room facing the car park- was quiet and the room was of a good size
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Booked for one night as we had a night out in Birmingham booked. Not a great hotel. Paid £67 for one night, including breakfast, via Late Rooms. Attention to detail is much needed. Pretends to be a 'boutique hotel. It's not. It is still undergoing some refurbishment judging by the bar stools still being in plastic wrapping and no bar open. Room was ok, but considering it was a 'superior' double, again not great. Premier Inn rooms are better.

The maintenance man was just leaving our room as we got there. Not sure what he was doing as there were wires hanging from the wall mounted TV and both bedside tables had no drawer fronts, just very sharp screws sticking out. (Mentioned in passing to reception - she wasn't really interested) Heated towel rail wasn't working either, so bathroom was cold. Fan in the bathroom exceptionally noisy and annoying. 2 minutes after we got into our room, housekeeping arrived to add pillowcases, which hadn't been put on before.

Breakfast was very average and not worth £10. 'Full English' breakfast was brought to you, but no egg!

Something very odd about the hotel generally. We both commented on it. Would never go back and definitely would not recommend.

For the same price (or less!) I'd rather use a Premier Inn

Room Tip: Book a Premier Inn.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for business on a number of occasions and thought the rooms were great. The service is ok but they are efficient so as long as things work I'm fine with them not hugging me when I arrive. The food in the restaurant is nice but a bit expensive. It has been refurbished since I have stayed but I haven't seen these yet.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night following a gig in Birmingham. When I booked it the agency website said I was booking a 'Standard double room with one bed'. After we checked in we went up to the room to find it was a TWIN room with two single beds. When I asked the employee at reception she merely said there was nothing she could do about it because they were fully booked. Very unhelpful and didn't seem to care about our predicament. We stayed as it was late and didn't have time to drive around Birmingham looking for another hotel. The room itself was clean and the overall décor of the hotel is nice for what you pay for it. The bathroom was also satisfactory. However, I was very disappointed with the service and the fact we were stuck with twin (relatively uncomfortable) beds. Also, take care in the car park - no lighting, very bumpy and no actual SPACES. I will definitely not be staying here again after the way we were treated.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Arrived at the hotel to building works, got to reception and they had no record of us booking. After looking again they found one of their staff made a mistake and booked us in on the wrong day. Upon arriving at the room only one small light worked so we had to call reception. At breakfast time we were told it was okay to get breakfast even though we hadn't paid for it (which we thought was a good will gesture for the above incidents) and then were charged for it (which we wouldn't mind if we were told that to start with) however the breakfast wasn't very nice! The man on reception was very rude. Would not stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013