“Excellent.”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend the last weekend and we really had a great time. It has been refurbished and the reception look very nice. The room very warm and bed was comfy. We had dinner for no too much money and breakfast in the morning was good. The waitress was lovely with us and really hard worker as the restaurant was full and she managed by herself. I really recommended this hotel, we will be back.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend. We had a Queen room and was really impressed by the standard of room, particularly the very comfortable bed and how quiet the room is- you really can't hear any outside noise so got a very good night sleep both nights.
We had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant (the other night at an Indian just across the road). The food was very good and again excellent value- we paid £45 for 2 including a bottle of house wine.
All the staff we encountered were polite and friendly, we made a couple of requests- for dental kit and to borrow an iphone charger and these were delivered to our room within just a few minutes of asking.
All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on first floor at the end of corridor facing towards car park- so was v. quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here for a valentines ball in the Regency. Staff were very rude and one of them threatened and swore at my husband 2 days later after we queried money taken from our account. The man said to my husband, "why don't you come down here and I'll break your neck. I get paid £6.51 so I don't need to take this crap from you. I can get another job". This is not relevant and just shows you how much he doesn't care for his job or the hotel.

Upon check-out, the hotel didn't give us any receipts for anything put on the room. I went home and checked my account 2 days later and they took £40 from my account. When calling the (so-called) hotel, they said someone who we were speaking to put a bottle of champagne on our room. The problem is we were talking to a lot of people as there was a ball, but the hotel think it's ok for them to do that as they saw us with these people. I have stayed in many hotels, and if you want to put extras on your room, they ask your name, ask for your room number, and take a signature. Some even ask to see your room card. The hotel said they asked for a room number. I am absolutely horrified that they did this. And what is worse is that when I checked out, the lady took my key, checked the system, and said 'that's all fine'. There was clearly extras on the room which they didn't mention, but just took the money from my account 2 days later.

I have never heard anyone speak the way the man spoke to both myself and my husband over the phone. What a let down, a disgrace, and a waste of money. They actually think what they did is ok and we are wrong to question it.

There are many other hotels on a Hagley Road and near by. I would strongly suggest to stay at any other hotel but this one. You may pay a little more money (only pounds), but they are not cowboys but known hotels. They would not let anyone else put drinks on someone else's room. The staff didn't even want to sort the problem out. They still think it is ok and the manager is ignoring our calls. If we didn't live so far away, I would've gone there personally. I'm absolutely gob-smacked with the whole situation. I will be monitoring this to see if the hotel respond.

Stay well clear of this hotel for your own sake.

2 Thank Bubbly0
y h, Front Office Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
This review is completely absurd with no truth in anything written. Initially the reviewer contacted the hotel demanding money or threatening to write a ‘damaging review’ on tripadvisor.
The guest then claimed that he had been charged for drinks that he had not purchased. It was then shown that the drinks had been ordered by his sister who was also occupying the same room. The reviewer then claimed he did not have to pay for the drinks because he had not signed for them himself. The amount involved was only £4 but the guests felt that for inconvenience he should be refunded for the entire hotel accommodation as well.
It’s rather unfortunate and sad that some guests are using online reviews as a way of trying to obtain free accommodation by threatening hotels rather than for the purpose of writing genuine and honest reviews.

The allegations about any staff member threatening him on the phone are also made-up. Any member of staff proven to have behaved in such an unprofessional manner would be dismissed immediately. All phone calls to the front desk are recorded and its clear from the recording the only threatening comments were made by the reviewer.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cheshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

thought we would go here for Valentine's day as it looked lovely on the website. Got into the room and on every cushion and pillow there were massive stains! Also a red/pink stain on the bed sheet! Have they not heard of washing bed linen? Hand prints on the walls and the bath was also grimmey!! Receptionist was also a bit rude. Would not recommend staying until they have sorted there hygiene issues out first!!

1 Thank darcieekate
Stourbridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Quality was appalling. I would prefer to stay in a travel lodge. Checked into the room the quality of finish was unacceptable,bed linen dirty and erupted,tried to call reception and phone didn't work, makeshift holes in the backs on curtains, wires hanging down from wall mounted tv! Quality of rooms very poor. Got moved to an executive suit which again bed linen dirty,bathroom dirty and smaller bed, manager not available at present to give refund and staff didn't know when manager was on shift. This was booked as a surprise for my girlfriend for valentines day which resulted in us going home. Only given one star rating cuz it wouldn't let me give a 0!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wincottnelly
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

A revolting room with hand prints on the headboard made with what I can only assume was some kind of lube (Judging by its colour and texture). A misc stain on the bed that looked so horrible. Cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. Overall the hotel was cheap looking, at one point I noticed and aerosol can wedged in a doorframe it keep the door open. The lift was an absolute tin can that sounded like it was being held together with tape. There is a large car park at the back completely devoid of marked spaces, instead filled with skips and trash.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Clive G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Arrived at reception to get checked in, it was cold and had been raining so wanted to hurry and get to the room. There were initially two ladies on reception but one of them left even though it was quite busy- it was full of men who were trying to extend their stay. All I wanted to do was to check in which probably wouldn't have taken that long but she barely acknowledged me and carried on with payments etc for the 4/5 men. This wouldn't have been an issue but the fact it took me almost 25 minutes to get checked in was ridiculous- a good 23 minutes just waiting around. Went up to the room (hall way where the rooms were needed upgrading- was like a very cheap hotel. Also noticed that the hall way was not key card-accessed so anyone from the public could literally walk up to your door) and my key card wouldn't work. Went back down and receptionist sent a man who was a hotel guest up to help me with it! I can understand that she was busy but it wasn't the best service. He couldn't make it work so went back down and she gave me another key card which still didn't work! Then she came in with her key and let me in. I explained that I was going out soon so would need my key and she said to get it on my way out. Took an hour to get into my room, which was pleasant.

Bed comfortable and it was nice and quiet.

The lady said I could check out an hour later because of the issues. Was woken up with a very rude call the next morning saying it was time to leave, explained the situation and she just about understood, still being rude.

I did like the location as it was easy to get food (restaurants across the road). The hotel was also easily accessed by bus! And I'd like to point out that I did get to have a chat with the lady on reception who was lovely and was simply struggling to deal with everything as she had been left alone, even though it was quite busy. Think management need to get it sorted.

Room Tip: I had a queen room facing the car park- was quiet and the room was of a good size
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo