“3 dirty rooms...”

Ranked #106 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“3 dirty rooms...”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel looking forward to a nice chilled out night after a busy day. My mum had previously stayed here in one of the made over rooms on the ground floor and had only positive things to say, so when we arrived this time we weren't too bothered to know we were staying in one of the less fancy rooms. So... After checking in with the polite receptionist, we went up to our room... It wasn't very nice, marks on the walls, mouldy bathroom ceiling, and then, dirty bedding! My bed had make up on it and black marks on the pillow, it also had hair in it... We went down to reception and asked for another room, which we got without problem, we went back up to the room which looked a little better, checked the bed and to my horror there were black hairs all on the pillows and sheet and more black marks, I went back down stairs to complain and had the manager or someone in charge go up to check the room and to check another room for us before coming back to get us. I went in to the 3rd room and checked it out... No hair on the bedding but still grey dirty looking sheets, but to be honest i couldn't be bothered at this point so said it was fine.
We went out for dinner and came back and decided to make a cup of tea... I opened the wardrobe where the tea making facilities were and was shocked by the amount of dust there was on the shelves, there was also only one cup and there was a used/open milk on the tray... Attention to detail? I think not.
I would never stay at this hotel and would never recommend it, even if you were staying in one of the newer rooms. I think some new bedding and some new cleaning staff and probably a lick of paint would have been more important than a fancy new reception area - talk about giving a false impression of the place!!
Polite reception staff, horrible hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Annmarie3362
y h, Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay at the hotel but you don't appear to have made any complaints or comments to me during your stay or at the time of check-out which makes your comments in the review very surprising.
Please feel free to call me on 0121 410 2263 to discuss anything further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

The Collection hotel in Birmingham; plenty of promise but underwhelming room/facilities; and a dissapointing breakfast to match.

My stay was 1 night ahead of a conference down the road. Booked last minute, for the value-market room rate I wasn't expecting anything palatial ... but aside from the new lobby (centre piece for the wonderfully glossy promo photographs), the ambience is more akin to a 1970s office block.

My queen double room was small and the bathroom was in poor state of repair.

I plumped for the hotel's continental breakfast but this was tragic error on my part. The breakfast service was unwelcoming and the food quality surprisingly poor. There are handfull of restaurants in the hotel's immediate locale and time permitting these are absolutely your best option.

Again I realise this is a value-end hotel but let me put it in context - my room cost more than a Premierre Inn which has higher standards and arguably better food. Therefore, unusual as it is to say a cheapy hotel is over-priced ... Collection in Birmingham is!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Somerset
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Only stayed one night but it was a pleasant experience. Yes there has been some building work underway but it didn't affect us in anyway.
It's convenient, clean and comfortable.
Staff are friendly and there's a 24hr bar which is handy. Rooms are tidy with tea and coffee facilities, plenty of hot water, flat screen TV and free wifi.
Didn't eat here but what we saw looked ok at very good prices.
Will stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
y h, Front Office at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review ! We hope to see you soon at the Collection Hotel !

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

By far the worst hotel experience I have ever had! Booked the hotel for my fiancées birthday! We drove for 2 hours to get there and when we got there it was a construction site! Builders were drilling away outside reception at first glance looked quite nice but the know u realise the bare wires sticking out mud on the walls and quite frankly like it had been completed by a cowboy builder overlooking this we went into the room where it really went down hill there was certain man made stains on the throws at the bottom of the bed and other stains like mud and tea stains on bed covers!! My instant thought is that nothing had been cleaned in the hole I had stayed in hostels cleaner than this!! And to make things worse the bed a caved in!! We checked out immediatley and drove another 2 hours straight home!! Put off for life from Birmingham that and the fact they refused to offer me a refund!!! Stay well away this place should be shut down!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank amir a
y h, General Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,
I'm very surprised by the comments you have made in this review. As you recall I explained to that your booking was made via a 3rd party travel agent and no payment was made by yourself direct to the hotel. Therefore, the hotel could not offer any refund direct to yourself.
Furthermore, the reason you checked out of the hotel had little to do with the standard of room but you clearly had a change of plans. I showed you an alternative room and after you inspected it thoroughly, you could find not a single fault (you checked the bed, linen and it was perfect). You then decided you wanted to check-out anyway.
It's rather unfortunate that you have decided to write absurd and fictional comments about the hotel simply because you had a change of plans/argument with your partner and had to drive back home. I would be happy assist you in your efforts of getting a refund from your travel agent but I do not accept your complaints about the hotel as they do not reflect the reality of your experience here.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here whilst visiting or goddaughter at the University. We had a quite delightful stay and I can't say enough about the friendly young ladies at reception who were ever so helpful throughout our stay and made it such a pleasant experience for us.
Thank you ever so much and we shall certainly be coming back again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Diane W
y h, Front Office at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Diane,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback on your recent visit to the Collection Hotel.

I am delighted to read how you valued the service from our teams ! Your observations will be shared with everyone here, they will be thrilled to hear that you were so pleased with their service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Collection Hotel in the very near future.

Manchester UK
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked for a one night stay here at a cost of £49 for the room (breakfast another £10), the hotel is currently having improvements made but that did not impare our visit. The reception was really nice, good bar area and the staff were really friendly. We had a room on the ground floor to the side of the hotel 1003. The room was very large with a king sized bed very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was decorated to a high standard ane the shower was very easy to use and lots of hot water !! The heating was just the right temp and should you want to change it its very easy to do. They had ample wardrobe space, ironing board and iron to hand should you need it. it was very quite even though its on a main road and we had a great nights sleep. Check out was very easy and the gentleman on reception was polite, friendly and asked if we had a good visit. Would def book this hotel for the price, location and general experience.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of each and every member of the team - thank you for your wonderful review.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Bedworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel for one evening. I think we were taken aback that no one was on reception for some time when we arrived. This did not create the best impression. The staff however when they arrived were friendly and helpful. The room was really pleasant, very contemporary and spotless. There was complimentary tea and coffee but not enough for an evening and morning. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was pleasant enough though the shower was very complicated to use!! We didn't try the food in the hotel in the end. But the prices of the drinks were reasonable enough. I thought the reception looked lovely though was quite cold. I needed my coat on to have a drink in there. This hotel is in a great location, close enough to some of the bars and restaurants on the Hagley Road. All in all a good stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, both positive and negative. I am of course disappointed to read that you are not completely satisfied from your stay.

I can only assure you that this is not indicative of our usual standard of service and attention to detail. I will make sure that the points you raise are attended with more care among our team in all departments.

The hotel is currently upgrading some of the suites as well as other amenities to further improve our services.

I do hope you will return and allow us to offer you a perfect stay at the Collection Hotel.