“Good Location”

The Collection Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #107 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for a long weekend. After going to a awfull hotel first and walking out and having to pay for the first night and we didnt even stay there. This little hotel was a very plesent and the price was very reasonable. We ended up over the 3 nights very happy with this hotel. There was some loud music one night as there was a wedding party going on there but it was fine. The hotel is in a great location as you have a few different resturants nearby like TGI Friday's wich was good they also have Ask, Beefeater and an Indian. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel that will take you just up the road to Broad street which is nice. We went to the sea life center there which was very good and there are lots of bars and clubs and a cinema, or you can get a bus to the Bullring shopping center which is also good. Overall we were very happy with our stay here and the modern rooms are lovley.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GrazMohamid

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday weekend in April, as I arrived parking was to the rear however there was an Indian wedding taking place so parking was a bit of a nightmare, managed to find a space at the far end of the car park,
After checking in I explored the room, nothing like the photos. Very dark with our window looking out onto the horrendously busy car park,
With this in mind I decided to get the local bus to town to do some shopping,
After going out for the night and approaching my vehicle the next day some generous soul had decided they would back into the front of my vehicle and drive away, leaving extensive damage to the entire front of my car, ( I understand this part is not the hotels fault however) I noticed the hotel had private cctv overlooking the whole things hitch would if definitely captured the incident. I proceeded to speak to the lady at the front desk and explained the problem to be told the manager wasn't available Sundays, fair enough I thought however I tried to call back on the Monday and was told the manager would call me back about the issue to which they never did, it was very obvious who had caused the damage to my vehicle as I had half the paint left on it from the distinctive white A5 Audi which was parked next to me at the time for the wedding,
The hotel was so so incredibly unhelpful and I never received a phone call back from any manager or even an apology out of courtesy,
Disgusting place, bad memories, unhelpful, and if busy park somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Emm_c_zero
y h, Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear guest, you may have forgotten but I have already spoken with you regarding the incident with your car just a a few days after you stayed (Your stay was in April but you have decided to put a review on in August- which is rather odd). As explained, we do not give out the vehicle or address details of other guests. However, I did ask that you report the matter to the police and your insurance company and we would have provided the CCTV recording and any other information on the other vehicle involved.
On the day you checked out, the reception informed me that you commented that you were very happy with your room and had no complaints other then the unfortunate incident with your car. Its rather unfortunate that you now decide to write a fictional review claiming the room was nothing like the photos. I understand that you may be aggrieved that another driver has caused damage to you car but that is out of the control of the hotel and we do have to abide by the rules regarding confidentiality of other guests- I'm sorry if you thought this came across as being unhelpful.
Please feel free to call me on 0121 4102263 if you wish to discuss anything further.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Not too sure what all the complaints below are about... People asking for views- you're in Birmingham, there aren't many views, particularly not on Hagley road.

This was my fourth time at the Collection Hotel and I can say the renovation/extension has improved it greatly. All staff that I came across were polite and friendly (lady at reception and cleaning staff) and were helpful when needed. The room was pleasant, clean and quiet. Bed extremely comfortable, bathroom clean. Location good- close to restaurants including TGIs and around a 10-min drive to the city centre.

Definitely better than other 3* hotels at similar prices.

Room Tip: The Queen rooms (a little cheaper) are just as good as the King rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
y h, Responsable réception at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Alisha,

On behalf of each and every member of the team - thank you for your very good review !

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Collection Hotel Birmingham.
Building has been recently refurbished . Very modern. Nice. Well done. The grounds and car park have yet to be completed. The building still has piles of building debris tucked away in corners. Car park is in desperate need of resurfacing.
Staff were very nice and pleasant, although no help with our luggage was offered, an elderly couple. We were given vague directions to our room. We had to explore the ground floor before we discovered our room was on the first floor. Process of elimination . Thankfully there was a lift (elevator).
Restaurant was very nice but the food was poor by hotel standards. Freezer to frier. My wife complained that part of her meal was inedible, but there was no reduction in price. Bad form for a Clarion Hotel. This would probably account for my wife and I being the only people in the restaurant or bar at what is normally peak time on a Friday evening. The lady on the bar, who was also serving table, and the lady on reception were obviously bored!! It was going to be a long, long shift for them.
Tip for travellers - There is. T G I Fridays about 200yds down the road towards the City.
Our room was pleasant and adequately furnished. Bathroom and bedroom were clean although there were dirty marks on the wall that I would have expected housekeeping personnel to have removed considering the obvious cost of the refurbishment . The bed seemed clean although the sheets and particularly the pillow cases could have been ironed before the new guests arrived. The bed gave the impression that it had been made in a hurry. I wonder why? The mind doth boggle!!
We slept on the bed rather than in it!!
Would we use this hotel again? The answer is - No.
The view from the window was of a wall, a roof and builders rubbish.
Our room was quiet, in fact very quiet. Possibly because there were very few people, if any, staying here. We have neither saw nor heard any other guests. Clarion should rename this hotel the 'Marie Celeste.'

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your comments, both positive and negative. I am of course disappointed to read that you will not come back at The Collection Hotel.

I can only assure you that this is not indicative of our usual high standard of service and attention to detail. I will make sure that the points you raise are attended with more care amongst our team in all departments, particularly in the restaurant.

The hotel is currently upgrading some of the suites as well as other amenities to further improve our services.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Really good, but spoiled by the woeful service at the bar.

I'm the guy who's been sat at the bar for as long as it's taken me to log in, write this and ....... Yep, still waiting.

There's nobody at the bar by the way, just me.
I came to the bar earlier when I returned from dinner, waited 6 minutes (nobody at the bar, just me again, ignored) went back to my room. Now I'm back again, being ignored, oh... hang on, bit of movement, somebody else has come for a drink... Surely you'll notice, YES!!!! NOOOO, you've walked past me, straight to him.

I'm going to bed, thirsty.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
y h, Manager at The Collection Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear guest,

We are really sorry to hear that the service you received at the hotel bar was not satisfactory. Please be assured that I will be discussing this matter with the bar staff.

Thank you for taking the time to write and bring this to my attention.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Couldn't fault the collection hotel, for the money it was perfect. Staff were very helpful, room clean and the bed was comfy. Bar prices were really reasonable and it's such a good location for getting into town. Def recommend

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

We are delighted to hear that you had an good stay with us !

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Collection Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel. It was easy to find and had ample parking, some out front and most at back. The back parking area is gravelled with no bay markings but there is a walk way around the building which makes wheeling your suitcases easier. On arrival the reception staff were friendly and polite, although they were casually dressed. Some of the floor tiles on the way to our room were cracked although I can see from other reviews that they are due to be replaced. The hotel is obviously undergoing refurbishment and I think a sign to that effect at reception may avoid complaints from future guests during this time. Our room was large and the bathroom an adequate size. The bath did take a while to fill and the plug was difficult to remove but the shower was good. There was a second shower head which could be used when in the bath which was good. The décor in the bathroom was modern and clean although the grouting around the shower could do with a scrub. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bed linen was clean. We ate in the restaurant on our first night and can definitely recommend the food. Our waitress was very helpful and friendly. The house wine is excellent. The only negative issue was on our second night when we returned to the hotel around 10.45pm and decided to have a drink at the bar. The experience was marred somewhat by an altercation which took place between the barman and someone I can only assume was in a position of authority although the manner of his dress, jogging trousers and a vest, made me wonder. The barman was subjected to a torrent of shouting being accused of lying. I felt this was totally unprofessional and issues such as this should have been dealt with in private and not conducted in a public area. Another couple had joined us in the bar area and it was obvious that they felt as uncomfortable and embarrassed as us. I did mention this to the receptionist at our checkout and asked her to pass our comments on.
Other than the issue above, we had a pleasant stay. The hotel is not far from town and has a bus stop right outside. A taxi journey takes minutes into Broad Street and the hotel is ideally situated for visiting the theatres. There are restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Our room was situated at the back of the hotel which meant that it was quiet; we would never have known we were staying on Hagley Road. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you don't want to be disturbed by traffic on the very...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback and for your lovely comments about the room. I’m extremely sorry that you have been witness of the altercation in the bar and you can be sure that we will talk with our employees.
Thank you for staying at the Collection Hotel Birmingham and we do hope you will return in the future.