“Ruined our anniversary”

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am fuming after going here tonight for what should have been a lovely evening with my girlfriend for our 2 year anniversary.

We found Zagora on the Tastecard website and chose this specifically as it is one of the few that you do not need to book in advance to use the card(it specifies on Tastecard's website if the restaurant requires you to call in advance - see picture).

We arrived at the restaurant after looking forward to our meal all week, and as we were being seated I mentioned my Tastecard as required but was told that I can only use it if I book in advance, I disputed this and pointed out that it does not mention anything about booking in advance on the website.

After leaving the restaurant I called in advance to book a table later that night, they told me that they had a table available and that it was fine, but as soon as I mentioned my Tastecard they said I could not use it, it was the same staff member that I had spoken to earlier in the restaurant so she had lied to me earlier.

My girlfriend suffers with her mental health and one of her symptoms is that sudden changes to plans really frustrates and upsets her, after this major upset to our evening we tried to make alternate plans but ended up getting into a row and going home instead. So what should have been a lovely evening turned into me wasting around 3 hours and £15 on transport getting to the restaurant and back home again.

After returning home I have checked the Tastecard website to see if there is any disclaimers in the small print, but it turns out they are in breach of Tastecard policies as I found this in their FAQs:

Can the restaurants exclude any days or times?

The only exclusions that the restaurants can place, if they wish, are Friday and/or Saturday nights. Other reasonable exclusions may sometimes apply, for example some chain restaurants may exclude Friday and Saturday day times.

Why do some restaurants ask members to advance book?

If the restaurant has a telephone icon illustrated on its page then advance bookings must be made, and taste must be mentioned. This is because if the discount has not been mentioned and the bill is produced, the manager would then have to recalculate the bill; which can be time consuming. If the restaurant is already aware that you are a taste member, they can calculate the bill including the discount from the outset.

2  Thank Assassin420

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner and I visited Zagora last night, and we had such a lovely experience. The waiter was very kind and attentive, and the restaurant itself has a lovely vibe - I actually spent some time in Morocco last summer, and in my opinion, the feel of the restaurant is very authentic. The same can definitely be said for the food, which was really flavourful. We will definitely be visiting again, so we can sample more of their lovely menu, although we will probably have the chicken pastries as a starter again - so delicious. All in all, I could not find a complaint: authentic decor, lovely service, amazing food, and a lovely evening. Thank you Zagora, hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Went to this restaurant with friends for a evening meal. On entering, the waitress rather than greet us just went passed us to shut the door. I'm guessing they were trying to keep the place warm, but it wasn't the most welcome we've ever been entering a restaurant.

The menu was a set menu, rather than a la carte, not that we minded but there was a really long wait (approx 1 hr) between our starters and main. Food itself was nice, and we all selected Moroccan food, which was presented nicely and decent size portions for the cost. The waitresses do stay at the bar, and only visit when they had something to do, so had to wait to grab them to get more drinks so would be nice if they were more attentive.

Belly dancing is the entertainment feature but be warned, they turn down the lights and blast the music when the dancing starts... which isn't great if you are trying to have a chat or eat. They do try to get everyone up for a go at the belly dancing, but we didn't actually know this before visiting so was a bit of a surprise. Some of the customers were definitely more into the dancing than our table!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I am sorry, but I just can't understand the review when someone mentions that the staff is not Moroccan! That would mean person should score low EVERY SINGLE business...
Back to Zagora. I enjoyed my lunch a lot. I had bruiats ( the ones the moron called frozen spring rolls) and I love them. The sweet chicken filling always gets me. Main was good size, Tagine with chicken and caramelised onion with rice Have a sweet tooth as you can see. It was great value, nice place to relax and I can honestly recommend it.
Only thing is the location. That is not very appealing....

1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I am astounded by the bad reviews of his place, every time I have been I have had fabulous service and an amazing dining experience. The food has always been beautiful and particularly for the prices it cannot be knocked. The belly dancing may not be everyone's tastes on the weekends but me and my boyfriend really found it to enhance the atmosphere. The only bad comment I can make is the location, I can guarantee if this place was in a better location it would do even better, that being said it is a small restaurant and very time I have been I have struggled to get in but the staff always do there best for everyone

1  Thank Bridget H