“Superficial appeal but needs some attention”

Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel was peviously a Mint Hotel and is in an attractive location in the canals district of the city. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the service from the front desk and restaurant staff is pleasant and friendly. However the Hilton hotel needs to get to grip with the details and wear and tear which it has inherited. My room's Apple PC had broken speakers, a lift call button didn't work, there was significant wear and tear in the en suite and the double room was two single beds thrown together. The beds were cheap and pretty hard.

Room Tip: Ensure a double room really is a double room and not a twin adjusted into a double.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,787)

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I had the pleasure of staying here for one night last week and the only issue I had was the fact that it has newly converted to a Garden Inn so the taxi drivers still know it as 'The Mint Hotel'.

Check in was great with really friendly staff, the room was modern and nice with an IMac TV. Breakfast was one of the best I have had for a while in any hotel. All in all ten out of ten.

Well done everyone, you have one very happy customer who will happily reccomend this as the best hotel in Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2012
Stephenc186402, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing such a fantastic review with Tripadvisor - it really is inspiring to read and share with the team such great feedback! Your comment about the taxi is something we will address to ensure that other clients do not experience a similar issue and we all genuinely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Kind regards
Steve

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I have stayed here a few times now on business. It is ideal for an overnight stay, the rooms are generally clean, and each room has a Mac. I find the rooms a little on the small side, so if I am away for a few days I try to avoid this hotel.

The service has been consistently good. The staff are friendly enough, and polite.

I will happily stay there again, just not when I am away for several nights.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I booked a 2 night HHonors reward stay in what was shown on the reservation confirmation as a 'twin evolution room.'
We checked in and were asked whether we'd like a King Twin or Double; I said a King Twin would be good and we were assigned room 304.
The room was not what I would call a King size room; the two single beds fitted between the fixed bedside lockers with a gap of about 8 inches leaving a space of about 12 inches on one side between the bed edge and the wall.
The size of the room was too small to be called King anything.
What happened to the 'Evolution Room?' What does the term mean?
The basis of the stay was room only.
When I checked out I was questioned as to why we were leaving a day early! We weren't so I wanted to know why the 'system' said this.... ah, it was for someone else's room! Brilliant so a room number and a surname cause the problem!
I was then told there was just one breakfast to pay for! WRONG!
Ah yes, she'd got it wrong.
I asked for a receipt/statement and received a page showing charges and credits for the room.
It was beginning to resemble 'Faulty Towers.'
So, all in all, not a satisfactory experience.
Perhaps the HHonors will take a back seat, to be replaced with another loyalty scheme with another Hotel chain.
The matter will be raised with Hilton HQ, although recent dealings with them by way of trying to get a deal on a room in Malta lead me to believe I'll be wasting my time.
I've still got a copy of Conrad Hiltons book, perhaps it should be mandatory reading for all Hilton staff....

Room Tip: Check what an 'Evolution room' is prior to booking / accepting
2  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I was on a business trip in Birmingham and needed to stay over the weekend, during which I planned to do lots of work. I have spent weekends working in hotel rooms before - and usually end up sitting in the bed hunched up over my laptop. So, I was very excited when I saw that the Hilton Garden Inn in Brindleyplace advertized ergonomic working chairs. I looked no further and booked.
The room was very nice, the bed was comfortable (as advertized), the mini-fridge was a welcome feature and the iMac was fun. Alas, the advertized ergonomic chair had only one feature that might remind one of a working chair - it had wheels. There was no way to raise or lower the chair and the desk was much too high for the low chair! So, ended up working in the bed and was pretty much crippled from doing so for the whole weekend.
I will be much more sceptical of any claims made in Hilton's advertizing from now on!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank freqtrav17
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I was recently stayed in the hotel from 6th -11th of March(during the badminton event). After a five nights stay, i believe i could make a fair comment to the hotel.

Upon check in, the receptionist Rowena was very friendly and helpful, she explained to me the suituation of parking and welcoming me as a HH member. This hotel used to be a Mint hotel and they had recently changed the brand to Hilton Garden Inn. The appearence of the lobby was very good, tidy and clean. The room we had was decent size, well fitted a queen size bed and good layout of the working area...i love the idea of IMac which can let you watch the TV and computer all in one machine, comp wi-fi and very impressive for having Sky sport 1,2, 3 and 4. It can be seen the hotel is up to date and fast forward thinking.
The room still very new, you can still smell the paint. I personal don't like to smell that so i just opened the window all the time but the heating did a great job for keeping my room warm.
The location is great, close to the NIA , it just 10 mins walking distance away from the arena and you could find many fine dining restaurants in the Brindleyplace.
I haven't got any issues with housekeeping, and everytime i came back from the event, i found the room always service up to a very good standard, so i have to give credit to them.
Only one thing i need to mention is; most of the rooms they are too close to each other, so when your next room or opposit room opens or shuts the doors, u can clearly hear that.....apart from that, my stay was really enjoyable and was fantastic!! Thanks for the everyone! Looking forward to come back next year!!

Overall everyone works in the hotel is customer focused (F&B staff and front desk are very poliet and friendly) and i believe this hotel with this service and quality will hit the top three in the tripadvisor table in the birmingham region in the very near future.

2  Thank Ricky K
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed two nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in late February, 2012.

Thew hotel is about a 15 min walk from the railway station, through the Mailbox and along the canal, there are other hotels which are closer.

The hotel is modern and the reception staff welcoming. The room was well appointed, large bed. The Apple TV/Computer with free internet access was very good - we used the BBC iPlayer to catch up on some TV.

Good location for a range of bars and restuarants.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing such a positive review with Tripadvisor - it really is inspiring to read and share with the team such great feedback! We all genuinely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Kind regards