“What a gem!”

Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Sydney, NSW
“What a gem!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on my first ever visit to Birmingham. Great choice as hotel is well located and could walk to everywhere I needed, great selection of restaurants and venues close by on the river. Easy walk to the new library, town hall and the Bull Ring. Rooms very modern, beds clean and comfy and staff nice. My only mionor gripe would be the bathroom was a tad small, but it was sparkling clean and great neutagena bath products available. I would definately stay here again 100%!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Stephenc186402, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for sharing such fantastic feedabck with trip advisor following your recent stay at The Hilton Garden Inn, Birmingham. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found the level of service and facility to be of an acceptable standard.
We hope to be able to welcome you again on future visits to Birmingham but in the meantime we appreciate the time you have spent sharing your views.

Yours sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The hotel is situated close to the canal in a very pleasant area of Birmingham. You don't need to stray more than a few hundred yards to have a good selection of restaurants and nice bars to choose from. The hotel was very good overall and the staff helpful throughout, it was very comfortable and I really did enjoy my five nights there. Breakfast is buffet style, but of a good standard and can be as quick or as slow as you want. There are only two things I would change, the first is the Apple/Mac TVs (I would much prefer just an ordinary TV), the other is the room size, adequate for one but maybe a little cramped for two sharing. However, I was so impressed with the hotel and the area during my business trip, that I'm considering booking a couple of nights for my wife and me on a city break.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Stephenc186402, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing so such great feedback with tripadvisor following your recent stay at The Hitlon Graden Inn, Birmingham. I am delighted that you found the level of service and faciltiies on offer to be of a high standard and hope that we may look after you once again on the return visit you mentioned.
Sellersburg, Indiana
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were here for business. This was our fist stop from the US and by the time we checked in we had been up for 36 hours. The room was so comfortable, quiet and loved the rainbath toiletries. They provide free Wi Fi and have an Apple computer that you can use to access the internet, and it is what you use for the TV. Every hotel should do this!!
Loved the bar, we sat down there with friends for hours and the bartenders were so nice and took very good care of us. We had room service which was fish & chips. They were very good & we loved the onion rings. We could walk to downtown and see everything. There is a small grocery store a few steps from the hotel, so you can get anything you might need. If you do not want to wait there was always a cab sitting outside of the hotel, or one could be called & arrive very quickly. Would recommend highly this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback with tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Hitlon Garden Inn, Birmingham. I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be comfortable and the staff to be attentive, particularly in the bar.!
Should you be travelling from the US again in the future I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you once again but in the meantime your comments are much appreciated.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on business. Efficient friendly check in. I had been before in the days of City Inn and Mint Hotel. A few little changes but still very good.
Had room service both nights, nice food and quick service.
Will be back next time I need to stay over.
The only thing I missed was the white company toiletries! ;-)

• Stayed May 2012
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Great hotel, friendly staff, the breakfast was busy but we were looked after! the imac in the room is a great little touch! really enjoyed my stay here and cant wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback with Trip advisor following your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Birmingham. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you found the service and faciltiies to be as you would have wanted.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Birmingham but in the meantime

Yours sincerely
UK
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My husband and I have booked one night in this hotel for our first visit in Birmingham.
Nice and quiet place, but in the walking distance to shops and nearby couple nice pubs and restaurants.
Clean, comfortable with nice breakfast and brilliant staff - those are our expectations from Hilton. This time letting down point were - was.. staff - actually only one person - otherwise I would mark it as excellent.
We found hotel without any problems by the post code,but on arrival it is no clear directions were the parking is. If you are from Birmingham you probably know it is just round the corner in NCP, but if you are first time in the town... My husband gone to hotel reception to ask were parking is and he met very unfriendly receptionist ( I suspect - the same lady I had problems with later) who pretend she did not understand my husband accent, but finally pushed herself to say what there is NO parking in Hilton and we must park in NCP round the corner.... All right, let's not be upset, maybe just bad day to someone....
As we arrived quiet early we parked our car in NCP (£14.3/24 hours) and gone to the town first. About 15 minutes slow pace we've reached main shopping area - very convenient.
We arrived back to the hotel at about 4 pm. Check in WAS NOT so smoothly as I expected. I was dealing with receptionist Claire who for some unexplained reasons clearly did not like me!!!!.
I know English it is not my first language, but asking to repeat 2-3 times EVERY WORD OR SENTENCE, excuse me, it was over the top!!!!
AND IT WAS ME WHO WAS APOLOGISING!!!! (I live in UK many years and never ever felt so unwelcome. I am sorry, but If you are working in hotel - this is YOUR JOB and headache TO UNDERSTAND what customers are saying and if you not - it is your problem and you need to find nice and polite way to sort this out!!! Even if you don't like me ( I have no idea why??), you MUST make me happy - IT IS YOUR JOB!!!
She was very arrogant, she was smiling and obvious not swearing, but she let me felt embarrassed and unwelcome. I asked her twice to confirm I have pre booked room with the breakfast - she confirmed that, as well she gave me welcoming envelop as HH member, but did not explained anything. I NEEDED TO ASK when and were breakfast will be served and no mentioning about other facilities.
Thanks God, she managed to say our room is on the 7th floor and I did not dare to ask or want anything else!!!!
The room was nice, decent size, very comfortable with safe box and mini bar, nice en-suite and all toiletries. No disappointment. Very clean and fresh. The bed was very comfortable and we had very good night sleep, ACS were working well.
On the evening I still gone back to reception even afraid to be upset again as I forgot a charger for my phone. Other lady - Sharon was there and she was very friendly and polite. When I ask her does she have any problems to understand me, she really did not understand why I am asking!!! She was not able to find a charger for me, but she's offered to leave my phone and she will charge it with her personal charger! That was very kind!
On the morning we went for breakfast and... surprise surprise... very nice lady saying we having room only and no breakfast!. I felt upset and frustrated, lady was very nice and polite, apologised for mistake ( even it was not her fault!!!) and promised to clarify this with reservations.
Breakfast... I love Hilton breakfast! :) There are very nice variety of food and very high quality. I even find my porridge, lots of fresh fruits, nice coffee and it was possibility to bake your own waffles!!! Very helpful girl Olga assisted us and all other staff was very friendly and welcoming.
After breakfast I have gone to reception were I met Alex and she checked reservations and apologised for mistake, as well informed what as HH we have late check out, as well asked for my parking ticket to give 10% discount! (This information never ever was mentioned on check in!) Check out lasted for about ... 1 minute! Excellent!!!
She was friendly, professional, make me feel welcoming and ... had no problems to understand what I am saying!!!!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We were looking to go to Birmingham for a night (shopping & clubbing), knowing the area well from going on Stag Do's I wanted to stay on or near Broadstreet. My first choice was the Hyatt however the price kept increasing over the 7 days approaching the date (£91-£119).

After looking on Trip Advisor we seen Hilton Garden Inn was rated highly and perfectly situated so we booked it for £69, plus x2 breakfasts so £89 in total. Arriving at the hotel was a doddle and there is a multi storey car park Approx 80 metres around the corner (£15 for 24 hours). We arrived at the hotel and was impressed with the layout and service provided. From walking through the door we were checked in an heading to the room within a couple of minutes.

The only disappointment for me was the room lacking a bath and the general lack of quality feel, this was probably comparing it to the Hyatt though which by that point was almost twice as much. The rooms have Apple Mac computers in them that double up as TV’s, this is a great concept, the only thing I would advise the hotel to do is install Silverlight on them so guests can access their premium sky channels via Sky Go.

The hotel has WIFI throughout although I found it slow and unstable, Sky Go would not work on my Ipad.

Breakfast the morning after was great, chef cooking omelettes, regular buffest, selection of pastries, DIY Pancake machine, juices, cereals etc. We checked out soon after with very little fuss.

For the money this hotel is absolutely outstanding, the position close to the bars and night life is ideal and despite being a busy Saturday night (Champions League Final) we found the hotel very quiet throughout our stay. I would compare this hotel as a rival for Premier Inn, your not paying luxury prices therefore don’t expect pure luxury and you will love this hotel. Better located than either of the Premier Inn’s!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple