“Great first night, Poor second night”

Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel was an interesting one.

The rooms were spacious, close to Broad Street (2 mins walk) but not actually on Broad Street like Hampton By Hilton, Jury's Inn and Travelodge so you get less noise but can still hear some screams and shouts on a Friday and Saturday night.

The apple Tv's in the rooms were great as well as the ability to watch bbc, itv, sky sports 1 and 2 in your room. (Sky sports 3 and 4 were advertised on the TV guide but did not work)

The Bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked even it looked like it needed an upgrade (no digital temperature display) The toilet and bathroom were clean but the shower was quite awkward to open and close.

The staff were very friendly and very quick to respond to any issues over the telephone until the final night.

Sadly there was one big negative on the final night. Firstly the fire alarm went off at 3.30am intermittently ringing for 10 seconds, pausing for 2 minutes and then ringing again for 10 seconds. It then took a further 3 minutes to get through to reception who's number was engaged. When we finally got through we were then informed there was an issue and to evacuate the building. We then stood outside for 10 minutes before being told we could sit back in reception which we did for another 10-15 minutes. The fire brigade came and went and we were told we could go back to our rooms with no explanation and no lifts working which meant a hike up four flights of stairs for me, and more for some elderly couples who were on higher floors. We did receive a letter from the general manager apologising but when we checked out we weren't even given a sorry from the receptionist or asked if we slept ok after the alarm went off.

I'm not sure whether I would come back to this hotel as a good nights sleep is something I look for in a hotel and its something that I missed on the final night which left me tired and exhausted upon checking out. Surely Hilton should have some compensation scheme in place like the Premier inn good sleep guarantee? When you pay over £100 for two nights its the least one expects.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Our first time at this hotel but was not dissapointed. Lovely room although small very clean and nicely decorated. Close to all bars and places to eat. Although close to everything the hotel was very quiet and the bed very comfortable. Will certainly stay there again

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Susan T
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the rest of the team today. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you were able to take advantage of some of our great facilities while you were here such as our complimentary wifi and 24 hour pantry service.

We hope that you had a safe journey home and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

1 night visit July 2013 as part of a hen package. Room modern & comfortable but air con did not work & room was horribly warm all day & night. Same in all of our friends rooms too (not ideal during the uk summer!). Lunch & dinner both good, prices typical for city centre & 5 minute walk to bars/clubs.

The biggest downfall was the treatments they organised were in a conference room! Not exactly the spa we were expecting, nor did we expect to have to watch the others having treatments too. I'm not sure whether this was the fault of the hotel or the company we booked with but was definitely not enjoyable & if this is part of anyone's package I'd check in advance what the plans were with the hotel.

Breakfast good selection & not rushed.

Would I stay again? Maybe if it was reasonable enough but was a little let down from the doubletree brand.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the team. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and will feed back your comments reference the spa package to the third party company that organises these for us.

We hope you had a safe journey hom and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have stayed here many times and twice within the last month. The location is perfect for me. It's close enough to the city centre but far enough away so that a good night's sleep is guaranteed. The rooms are a little small and the plumbing sometimes has a mind of its own, but the beds are super comfortable and the rooms are generally very well kept. The front desk staff are always helpful and courteous.

However, on the weekend of the 27th/28th July, the document printing service from the room was not working and neither was the printing service from the Business Centre. No return email ever came back to me to allow me to print anything. The front desk staff did go out of their way to help print my boarding pass though.

The quality of the breakfast is always very reasonable here. On the Saturday, the food and beverage manager was present and everything was perfect. On Sunday he wasn't. The cup on my table was dirty and didn't look as though it had been washed at all and the table was covered in sticky jam and had clearly not been wiped after the previous person had left it. The staff were talking amongst themselves rather than working and certainly not delivering tea and coffee as they should have been, nor were they keeping an eye on the breakfast bar, because towards the end of the session they ran out of just about everything. Yes, most of it was eventually replaced but it took way too long.

Most worryingly though, when I returrned to the Netherlands on the following day, I discovered that around 100 Euros had gone missing from my wallet. It was certainly there on Friday night, but it had gone by Monday morning and the "only" time throughout the whole weekend when my wallet was not with me was when I went to breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, when it was left it in the room. Yes, it was stupid of me and the hotel is not responsible, but it's a hard lesson learnt. Strangely enough, my Pounds, were not touched, but every single Euro note had gone.

Despite this, I'm a Hilton Diamond member and will continue to stay here. It's been great in the past and the rates are reasonable. However, standards are slipping and the missing money leaves a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for the poor service at breakfast during Sunday morning and rest assured that I will address this with my Food and Beverage Manager.

I would be very grateful if you would contact me regarding the missing euros so that we can investigate this, as we are able to read locks and ascertain exactly which keys were used and at what times. I am confident that my team are trustworthy, however I feel it would be best to conduct a full investigation so that wrongful conclusions can not be reached. My email address is nicola.underhill@hilton.com and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

fantastic location with immediate access to a wealth of restaurants & leisure activities. Easy to find with secure parking next door. Rooms clean and welcoming - apple mac TV was a bonus. Quick & easy check in, helpful staff. I would recommend this hotel & location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will share with the team. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel and hope that you particularly enjoyed the great power showers, the complimenary wifi and delicious breakfast in the mormings.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Conveniently located near downtown restaurants and transportation. In house restaurant nothing to rave about for evening meals - quite disappointing. Breakfast, however, was very good. Working staff very confused about hotel policies and quite stubborn. Often difficult to get front desk or hotel operator on the phone.

The room was comfortable but don't expect housekeeping to always replenish your courtesy toiletries - like soap! And the plumbing leaves something to be desired as well as the TV channels. For Americans staying there, there were NO American TV news channels but two Arabic news channels. I found this interesting in an English speaking country, especially with our closest international ally.

I spent almost a week there. I had to ask the staff several times for the same thing or service. I found the physical facility nice but the working staff either inexperienced or, at worst, just plain inattentive.

Overall, this hotel is just average at best.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Nicola U, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for leaving your feedback following your most recent stay with us. As we aim to exceed guest expectations we have obviously failed on this occasion but please rest assured that your comments will be taken seriously and dealt with.

In the menatime if I can be of further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me at nicola.underhill@hilton.com

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Saturday night for my birthday. The hotel is very modern, clean, inviting etc. Our room was lovely, massive bed, decent shower, great facilities. Only small fault I could make was limited sugar with the tea/coffee. The hotel is in the perfect location, situated right by plenty of restaurants and a two minute walk to Broad Street for thriving nightlife. I would definitely stay here again, excellent value for money!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for leaving your fabulous comments regarding yor recent stay with us which I will share with the team. We are really pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and hope you were able to make the most of our fanatstic location in the prestigious Brindleyplace area, as well as our complimentary wifi and pantry service.

Next time you stay with us please speak to the Reception team about the sugar and they will be more than happy to arrange for you to have extra for your bedroom.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.