“Excellent hotel, overall best I've stayed in in Brum.”

Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace
Ranked #23 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Room lovely, location excellent, breakfast (we had room service) was fantastic, excellent value, great service, great price.

Only problem......though no fault of the hotel. Inconsiderate fellow guest, smoking in a non smoking room triggered fire alarms twice at 2.30am!!! Fool.

City Inn....top tip: when checking people in state the obvious....no smoking in a non smoking room as the alarms are sensitive.

Will definately stay again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Brindleyplace

Reviewed 14 December 2009

Stayed on Saturday night . Hotel very smart , front desk staff very helpful .
Room has eveything that you need , but a bit small especially the bathroom . Hot water very temperamental and not particularly hot .
Breakfast service very attentive , wonderful selection for the continental breakfast .
Selected the English breakfast , good variety , but it would have been better if it was hot . Scrambled eggs were cold as was the bacon .
A pity , but it seems to be a regular complaint for this hotel .

Reviewed 10 December 2009

My only negative comment about the City Inn Birmingham is that it is not as smart as the City Inn in Manchester - it is starting to look a little dated and tired. Having said that I would stay here again without hesitation. Great location & rooms. Good restaurant but also very close to many other city centre restaurants if you choose to eat out. Very good breakfast. Great for Symphony Hall, the Town Hall, CBSO Centre and Broad Street.

Reviewed 7 December 2009

The location for concerts/shops is great, and the reception staff were friendly and efficient.

Room was large, comfortable, and loved the power shower and The White Company shampoos etc. The satellite TV kept "freezing" so a bit of a disappointment.

Pleasantly surprised to find a disco in the bar when we returned from our concert, and had a great time. The bar staff were excellent.

However, breakfast was a huge disappointment. Having been forwarned that they were busy that week-end (notices in lifts suggesting best times to go for breakfast), we arrived at 08.30. We were seated quickly, and the decor and chairs were very good. Staff were not attentive. We had to wait 30 minutes for toast (after asking 3 times) and when it did arrive, was only one slice (halved), and no-one came to remove our used crockery. Hot food was cold, no condiments available, and requests for some-one to clear the table was ignored. We ended up with rather a large stack of bowls/plates etc.

The waiting staff were rude and had an attitude of "couldn 't care less". As the hotel obviously knew that they had a busy week-end ahead of them, then I do feel that they shoud have organised things a lot more efficiently.

Great hotel let down by its' restaurant staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The room was clean and modern if a little small but we were fairly happy until we went for breakfast. We were told it was busy and there was a wait for breakfast and directed to the bar where coffee, juice and pastries were being served. There were no pastries and no cups to drink coffee from. After half an hour wait with no coffee we were directed to a table and given a menu, after another 20 minutes I asked a waiter to take my breafast order and for coffee. There is a hot breakfast to order and a continental buffet. The buffet had run out of most food including all bread and pastries, we chose some fruit and a yoghurt but had no spoon, cutlery or napkin on our table. I had to go and find another waitress and get these myself. The breakfast arrived after nearly an hour and it was cold and had been sitting under a heater for a while. My partner had a kipper which was inedible. I found another waitress and asked for a refill of coffee and as she poured it, I could see it was very weak, on closer inspection it was tea. I pointed out this was tea not coffee and the waitress argued with me! After a while, she admitted it was tea but said nobody else had complained. The list of things wrong was endless and the worst of it was that the whole thing wasted most of our morning in Birmingham! We mentioned this at check out and I was told to write my complaint on the back of a compliment slip and leave my name and address. Needless to say, we have heard nothing back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonHelenS
Reviewed 1 December 2009

The rooms, the breakfast room, the whole hotel was very nice, fresh, airy and clean.

The personnel were quite friendly, although some were a bit unhelpful.

The parking is very expensive - and I could only pre-book it because I kicked up a fuss, due to the fact that I need to park close as I am disabled.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed at the City Inn on a Saturday night. When we arrived the lobby area was busy but we were checked in within 5 mins by a friendly and informative receptionist. The lifts were not working due to a fire alarm so we had to walk up to the 7th floor! But to be fair they were fixed fairly quickly.

Our room was very clean, not huge but big enough for a one night stay. The bathroom was pretty small really, but functional. There isn't much I can add which hasn't already been said. It was well designed and had everything we needed.

The location is absolutely ideal for a night out in Brum, just a few mins walk from Brindley Place, the canal area and Broad Street. However, because of this I would imagine it is possible that the hotel could be noisy at times. We didn't have any problem at all, but we did see a large hen party heading out on the town and I was relieved they weren't in rooms near us when they got back!

Breakfast was very good, we ordered a cooked breakfast and it arrived just as we finished our fruit from the cold buffet. It was piping hot and nicely cooked. The staff were attentive, my only comment would be that you have to ask each time you want a tea or coffee refill. I'd prefer a teapot or cafetiere, but it was fairly easy to find someone to ask for a top up.

I would definitely recommend the City Inn for good value (we paid £79 inc breakfast). I would just say be aware that is a busy hotel with mainly younger guests, however this caused us no problems at all and we would definitely go back.

We ate at the City Inn restaurant which I would also recommend and I will review separately.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business