“Noisy, Cold and Dated!”

Ranked #49 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Noisy, Cold and Dated!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Right from the first impressions of the building I was disappointed by the Travel Lodge. There where at least 3 other hotels on the same stretch of road and all of them looked a lot nicer than the this one. The reception was small but functional. On first entering my room I noticed it felt cold, I tried to find the heater only to find there isn’t one in the room or Bathroom (the one in the bathroom had been completely taken out, with only the switch left on the wall as evidence it had been there!) Why I have no idea! The room was clean enough but overall it was just too dated and in need of refurbishment. The windows let in WAY too much noise considering my room was right on the main road and all I could hear all night was cars revving really loud exhausts up and down all night. Combine this with the “party” going on in the adjoining room to me with doors being slammed HARD until gone 5:30 AM it is fair to say this was one of the worst stays I have ever had in a hotel. I will not be going back to Travel Lodge as a chain and I will stick with Premier Inn’s from now on. At least they offer your money back after such a night, the reception staff just laughed if off when I told them about the noise issues from the neighbouring room! Terrible!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Birmingham Central, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
It is regrettable to learn of your recent poor experience Rick_L27. We expect all of our heaters to be working correctly, however in the interest of climate change we do turn the heaters of before your arrival. We can also confirm that the heated towel rails in the bathroom have been disconnected for your safety. If a guest feels they need extra blankets and duvets you can also borrow them at reception. We are sorry to learn you were disturbed by noise outside of the hotel and by other guests, in an attempt to reduce the noise outside we do provide double glazing and insulated walls. We also ensure that our staff regularly patrol the hotel corridors so that they can be aware of any guests who are causing a disturbance. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed one night here (thursday) in february on a works trip. Can't fault the place. Location was excellent, right on a busy street full of bars, eateries and convenience stores.
Rooms were clean, fresh and modernised, all spotlessly clean.
They have an automated check in, but the staff on duty were cheery and helpful too.
parking was limited to adjacent on street, but this was free after 6pm til 8am, which was a bonus.
Good nights sleep was had, despite being on a very busy thursday night for revellers.

Room Tip: A colleague found his room in the street side was a little noisier than mine, but not so much it dis...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

AVOID! Evening Staff were disgustingly rude! After arriving at the hotel with some friends also whom were staying at the hotel, the evening management tried to excuse me a non-smoker of smoking in my room and forced me to leave the hotel and threatened me with a fine. After debating with the staff, explaining they cannot fine me for something i haven't done (I find smoking disgusting) they let me back into my room, but by this time my night was already ruined. After looking up online, this is not the first time this hotel have done this and many reports to watchdog have been filed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Birmingham Central, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
We are concerned to learn of the poor experience you had with regards to the attitude of our staff members SussexLad1992. As a business we have a continuing responsibility to ensure that smoking does not occur on our premises, and this is to safeguard the welfare and safety of our customers. If we fail in this duty, both the customer caught smoking and Travelodge may be committing an offence. We do not wish to falsely accuse any of our guests and we would expect our staff to have sufficient evidence before requesting a guest to leave our premises. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate this issue, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution and indicate that you have left a TripAdvisor review.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Clean room and a comfortable bed. Bathroom a bit tired but functional with a good supply of hot water. Room had been "refurbished" - the curtains and a strip of fabric across the bottom of the bed seemed quite new and there were two upright chairs that had seen very little use in the room. Somebody had written on the window at some point, and there were still traces on the glass: most odd.

We were woken twice through the night by noisy guests and then by early morning deliveries for the pubs across the side road so I suppose that counts as a decent night's sleep at this location. Plenty of parking at a cost in the side streets or the car parks at the back of hotel.

NB if you have a blue badge onstreet parking is free.

£41 for room only, but the Premier Inn was full.

Room Tip: High floor and at back of building if you need to sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Divadarling
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Being a Friday night, I had to wade through a sea of party revellers spilling out onto the pavements of the clublands zone that is Broad Street, hurriedly walking with luggage in tow and with it tipping down with rain around 11pm.
A large wave of young revellers had also congregated themselves in the reception area of this Central Birmingham Travelodge, which I eventually managed to make it to out of breath. There was already a queue by the receptionist and so I opted to use the checking-in machine. The machine, for some strange reason, neglected to give me my electronic room key card after punching in all the info it asked for, but fortunately another receptionist was close by to help. It was a pleasant surprise when I reached my room on the 8th floor. It was by far the largest room of all the Travelodges I had stayed in. It was very clean with a comfy double (queen sized) bed. Flat screen TV gave a very good picture. Tea making facilities and a powerful wall heater. Plus a large open drobe by the entrance door. The bathroom was also large with bath tub and fixed overhead shower. The only snag was that the toilet was positioned too close to the bathroom door. The sound proofing seemed pretty good.
I didn't fancy the small breakfast packets but nearby was a a superb American styled bar/restaurant (opposite the hotel and on the right), which did a great cooked breakfast with an excellent deal.
I would certainly stay at this Travelodge again despite it being quite wild in the area on weekends.

• Stayed February 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was surprised that there were no staff attendant at any time I came or went from the Hotel. One of the two lifts were broken on all 4 days of my stay, and the other went on the Wednesday with a person stuck inside, the staff couldn`t tell me how long they would be stuck for. The lift worked the next day, but would not stop at level 5, my level, and it was a bit awkward. I stay at Travelodge most times when I am in Birmingham, but this one was not the best.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Services at Travelodge Birmingham Central, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback John H. We can confirm that if the reception desk is unmanned then all reception staff should carry a pager to alert them that a customer is at the desk. In addition, all lifts should be working in our hotels; unfortunately from time to time they can break down. If this happens a sign should be placed on the lift and the fault will be reported and fixed. We would like to apologise that these were out of order during your stay.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Three of us stayed here in October watch other friends in the Birmingham half marathon.
Paying only £28 for the room between us was brilliant.
Stayed here many times before.
Central location, at very reasonable price. What more do u need? No doub we'll be staying here again:)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends