“Great value, friendly staff, excellent location”

Travelodge Birmingham Central
Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Great value, friendly staff, excellent location”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed one night with my family, in two double rooms. All was clean, neat, well ordered, with comfortable beds. Quite basic of course, with only a bar of soap in the bathroom - so remember to bring your own shampoo and toothpaste (though there is an automat in the lobby that will sell you a pack of toiletry basics if you forget). There was a TV which suffered some interference on some channels - but we were there for a graduation ceremony and a good night out (at Rodizio Rico in the Cube - excellent - check out the reviews) so we weren't going to spend much time in the room. For very little money you get a clean, dry, warm roof over you head with bathroom - what else would you need for one night? I like Travelodges!

Room Tip: Ask for one on the upper floors away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stevev98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed in this Travelodge for one night. It cost me £33 for a double room on a Monday evening. The room overlooked Broad Street itself which brought some noise in the early hours but nothing that kept me awake.

So, a few quick notes. Upon entry to the hotel you enter a small, slightly tired looking Reception. It's all Travelodge corporate colours which are a bit 'out there'. The Reception didn't really feel clean, it probably was, but it was just a little tired.

The staff who assisted me were all quite helpful and were cheery in disposition. The check in seemed to take longer than you might expect. The assistant helping me did not seem 100% sure of the IT system and getting a receipt took longer than expected as she hit a wrong button at one point and this appeared to send her to another part of the system with no quick way back. No real issue, just one of those things.

The lifts do not function with any sense of urgency, and the corridor space, like reception, was tired.

The room itself has comfortable double bed, LCD TV, wardrobe area, coffee making facilities, and a bottle opener attached to a desk you can work at (as I had to in preparation for a meeting). The bathroom has a loo, sink and bath with a reasonable shower. It was all very corporate Travelodge and clean and tidy. Worth £33; what do you expect at that price?

There were at least three 13 amp power sockets available although one was used for a wall mounted heater (which as adequate to heat the room). I had a four way with me for my laptop, iPad, phone etc.

Opposite the hotel is a Sainsbury's local if you want some drinks or food. The hotel offers breakfast for £5 but it did not look very exciting. I asked for an iron at one point and after a wait of around 45mins it eventually got to my room. The staff were keen to tell me to be careful with it as another customer had told them it had marked their shirt. It worked fine for me but my confidence was not high when I plugged it in.

The manager was happy to look after my case whilst I was at my meeting. I think she could only really offer to help as it was one case and the hotel was quiet. They did not appear to have any proper space for storing luggage and she popped it into her office. Very helpful to me but I think they could not guarantee to this service all the times.

So, in summary, you get what you pay for. £33 was cheap for this central location. The staff were helpful and had a sunny disposition. If you want a no-frills, cheap room this is fine. If you want much more you're going to have to dig deeper and pay a bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. It'll probably be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Good value for money.
Friendly staff.
Good self-check-in service.
Clean, warm and comfortable room.
WiFi is available to purchase which I didn't need as my cellular network had a good connection.
There isn't a restaurant but they do have snack machines & a ready-made breakfast which can be delivered to your room.

Room Tip: The staff don't mind if you want to request a particular floor if available.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The title says it all, cant complain at all. Clean, cheap and friendly, perfect for a weekend away with the mates! Arrived early in the morning and although check in isnt to 3pm one of our rooms was ready so were allowed early check in for nothing. Just an example of the helpfulness of the staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Right from the first impressions of the building I was disappointed by the Travel Lodge. There where at least 3 other hotels on the same stretch of road and all of them looked a lot nicer than the this one. The reception was small but functional. On first entering my room I noticed it felt cold, I tried to find the heater only to find there isn’t one in the room or Bathroom (the one in the bathroom had been completely taken out, with only the switch left on the wall as evidence it had been there!) Why I have no idea! The room was clean enough but overall it was just too dated and in need of refurbishment. The windows let in WAY too much noise considering my room was right on the main road and all I could hear all night was cars revving really loud exhausts up and down all night. Combine this with the “party” going on in the adjoining room to me with doors being slammed HARD until gone 5:30 AM it is fair to say this was one of the worst stays I have ever had in a hotel. I will not be going back to Travel Lodge as a chain and I will stick with Premier Inn’s from now on. At least they offer your money back after such a night, the reception staff just laughed if off when I told them about the noise issues from the neighbouring room! Terrible!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Birmingham Central, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
It is regrettable to learn of your recent poor experience Rick_L27. We expect all of our heaters to be working correctly, however in the interest of climate change we do turn the heaters of before your arrival. We can also confirm that the heated towel rails in the bathroom have been disconnected for your safety. If a guest feels they need extra blankets and duvets you can also borrow them at reception. We are sorry to learn you were disturbed by noise outside of the hotel and by other guests, in an attempt to reduce the noise outside we do provide double glazing and insulated walls. We also ensure that our staff regularly patrol the hotel corridors so that they can be aware of any guests who are causing a disturbance. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed one night here (thursday) in february on a works trip. Can't fault the place. Location was excellent, right on a busy street full of bars, eateries and convenience stores.
Rooms were clean, fresh and modernised, all spotlessly clean.
They have an automated check in, but the staff on duty were cheery and helpful too.
parking was limited to adjacent on street, but this was free after 6pm til 8am, which was a bonus.
Good nights sleep was had, despite being on a very busy thursday night for revellers.

Room Tip: A colleague found his room in the street side was a little noisier than mine, but not so much it dis...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

AVOID! Evening Staff were disgustingly rude! After arriving at the hotel with some friends also whom were staying at the hotel, the evening management tried to excuse me a non-smoker of smoking in my room and forced me to leave the hotel and threatened me with a fine. After debating with the staff, explaining they cannot fine me for something i haven't done (I find smoking disgusting) they let me back into my room, but by this time my night was already ruined. After looking up online, this is not the first time this hotel have done this and many reports to watchdog have been filed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Nicolas from Customer Services at Travelodge Birmingham Central, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
We are concerned to learn of the poor experience you had with regards to the attitude of our staff members SussexLad1992. As a business we have a continuing responsibility to ensure that smoking does not occur on our premises, and this is to safeguard the welfare and safety of our customers. If we fail in this duty, both the customer caught smoking and Travelodge may be committing an offence. We do not wish to falsely accuse any of our guests and we would expect our staff to have sufficient evidence before requesting a guest to leave our premises. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate this issue, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution and indicate that you have left a TripAdvisor review.