“Noisy and very basic”

Jurys Inn Birmingham
Ranked #21 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Paid for superior room. On 14th floor. Bog standard room. Paper thin walls. Awful high windows which couldn't be opened. Stag party in bar. Check in staff lovely and room very clean but could hear conversations next door and creaking bed. Wouldn't stay here again. Other hotels nearby with better quality rooms and soundproofing.

• Stayed: June 2013
JurysBirminghamMgmt, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Eleni63,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write your review.

Firstly I am very dissappointed to hear that you have not had a great experience with us on your recent stay. I am delighted to see that you found the team welcoming and the levels of cleanliness up to standard. I am sorry that you felt our superior package did not live up to your expectations and that your neighbours had impacted on your stay.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, I would be delighted to hear from you and I can be contactable direct with the hotel by phone (01216069000) or by email on anthony_barrett@jurysinns.com.

I am hoping that you would reconsider trying the hotel again, being based in the West Midlands yourself, a local hotel that you can enjoy and relax in is what we endeavour to offer to all of our guests but unfortunately on this occasion we have not lived up to this.

Hope to have the opportunity to speak to you soon
Kindest regards
Anthony

Anthony Barrett
Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,436)

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Was in Birmingham for a training course and was booked into this hotel, great location, really handy for all I needed, minutes from New St Station. Room was great, spacious, clean though took a couple of nights to get the temperature right. As I was there for an IT course, internet access was something I really needed, but here it is not provided free as part of the service, but it is used as a revenue builder, so it cost me £35 while I was there, this is more than double what I have had to pay in the past at the few hotels that are still in the dark ages and charge their customers. On the first night, I went for a meal in the hotel restaurant. As a fan of seafood, I opted for the Prawn and Monkfish kebabs, big mistake....I got two vegetable kebabs, both with a prawn near each end and a sliver of monkfish in the middle, (about the size of a 50p piece, though a bit thicker, will add a pic if I can). This cost me just under £16.00. Needless to say I ate out for the rest of the week. (Turn left when exiting the hotel, 50 yds on there is a Wetherspoons, (other hostelries are available), I got a 14oz Aberdeen Angus steak, cooked to perfection and a pint of real ale for £8.99). No one came near me during the meal to ask if my it was ok as usually happens in decent restaurants, so I voiced my complaint to the 2 young serving girls at the till. They both gave an apologetic smile and a shrug as if it was an everyday occurrence, then one asked me if I wanted it charged to my room! I decided further remonstrations at this point were pointless, so signed and walked off with steam billowing from my ears. I decided to let myself calm down and leave it until checkout to complain further. When I went to the reception to checkout, I expressed my concerns about the disappointing meal, but it became evident almost immediately that she had no idea how the restaurant operated and my complaint was going right over her head, I walked away at this point.
If you want a bed, this is the place, if you want food, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel bed and breakfast. Paid just over £60 for a twin room. Room was lovely, clean and spacious, nicely decorated and had 2 double beds. Was in a group of 50 ladies and everyone were really happy with their rooms. The hotel is easily accessible on Broad Street and the car park is literally out of the hotel's back door. Breakfast was nice and well organised. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I had lovely views over the canal.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Me and a group of five friends stayed here at the end of march, We were having a Stag do in the area and were looking to go out round Birmingham at night, the location was spot on for us being on Broad street, all the clubs/bars/pubs we needed were at our feet. Parking was convenient, The rooms were very clean and spacious. The staff were great in dealing with a problem with one of our room cards not registering properly, I had good nights sleep ( If only for a short while due to a late night :) ) I'd be more than happy to stay here again when next out in the city and have recommended it to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KevBeck
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We are a group of 4 adults who stayed here in 2 family rooms (twins but 2 double beds) for one night last weekend. We travelled by train and arrived in time for some lunch at Browns near the bullring (can recommend it, very nice food and drink with great service) before a bit of shopping. We walked to the hotel on Broad Street and it took about 15 minutes from the station in total so it isn't too far. We weren't sure what to expect, but when we arrived at the hotel we all agreed it was very nice! The reception is large and welcoming and it didn't take us long to check in. Our rooms were on the 5th floor and we had 2 large double beds, a large wardrobe area, tv and table. The bathroom was fine, nice shower which was always powerful and hot, and plenty of room for toilletries etc. Really pleased to have an iron and hair dryer in the room too!

As we were in Birmingham for a night out you can't really get a more central location than the Jurys Inn. It's perfectly situated for the bars, pubs and clubs that line Brindley Place and Broad Street. We were lucky with the weather so we spent a nice late afternoon enjoying a few drinks by the canal. Can recommend the Pitcher and Piano. In the evening Broad Street comes alive with nightlife, it's full of hen / stag parties and groups of friends having fun and socialising with friends. With all the bars side by side it's easy on the feet too (important for us girls who like to wear heels!).

On return to the hotel in the early hours of the morning you have to go through some security staff - a bit annoying at the time but very good for your safety and security. I slept like a log, but the walls are thin and we could hear the blokes next door partying into the morning. Take earplugs if you're a light sleeper. Check out was at 12 and again was very easy with efficient service.

This is my second weekend away in Birmingham and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for your stay. We couldn't fault anything about the facilities, room or service and found it to be good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at the Jurys Inn for one night whilst on business in Birmingham. It is centrally located and offers car parking which is a real bonus.
The bar meals are good value and the room I stayed in was on the 3rd floor which was very clean and well appointed. The staff I met were helpful and friendly and I would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
JurysBirminghamMgmt, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear JJPickburn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon.

Kind regards

Niall Mitchell
Operations Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on 7th June for a night in Birmingham. Given that the hotel is on broad street, I have to say that I wasn't expecting the nicest of hotels, but I was pleasantly surprised! Obviously the hotel is in a good location - ideal for the bars of broad street and brindley place and then not too far away is St. Paul's square and Summer Row. Reception is bright and spacious. Check in was ok, nothing amazing, but not horrendous either. I had a room on 16th floor (when booking a room I had requested a high floor due to the noise I was expecting from broad st! Room was very big with 2 double beds. Room was clean, as was the bathroom. I didn't hear any noise at all during the night, in fact I had a good quality sleep and great lie-in! Paid £59 for the room (cancellable until 2pm on the day of stay) but I did book at the last minute. Didn't pay extra for breakfast as there are lots of (cheaper) options nearby. Checkout was easy too. There's a car park at the back which is very dingy and with very tight spaces. It 's £14.20 for 24 hours and as others have said, there's no discount for hotel users which is a shame. It's still marginally cheaper than nearby brindley place though! My only slight criticism is that housekeeping knocked the door at 10.30am to clean the room - surely there should be some system linking this to the checkout information at reception? Only a slight niggle though! All in all, this hotel was better than expected and I would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013