“Decent city centre hotel”

Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
cambridgeshire
“Decent city centre hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for a stag night on a saturday with a group of friends.

We paid £89 for a double room, though it was £10 extra for breakfast.

The hotels location was perfect for central birmingham with all the bars and restaurants on the doorstep. The only downside was having to pay a further £14.20 for 24hrs parking.

The rooms were a good size with en suite bathroom. The room was a good size with tv, kettle, iron etc. It was very clean and well sound proofed.

Breakfast was a buffet of hot and cold breakfast choices. It was very good though all the buffet points were far apart so people were constantly in each others way. It made no sense

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Great hotel lovely room but the noise of the lifts are awful. I am staying with my husband and children and the noise is keeping us all up. Its constant. We have a 3 hour journey in the morning and we are all going to be knackered

• Stayed July 2013
Niall M, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear hillieryan

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. I am glad you find our hotel great and rooms lovely, however please accept my most sincere apologies for the noise disruption you and your family experienced during your stay with us.

If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest regards

Deputy General Manager
niall_mitchell@jurysinns.com
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our family went here on a National Holidays Coach trip for two nights to explore West Midlands Safari Park, Cadbury World and Severn Valley Railway.
Having seen other reviews about noise etc, lift shafts etc I asked at check in for a quiet room away from Broad Street and lift shafts. Were were not disappointed. We had two rooms given next to one another as no family rooms where available with the Coach Company we booked through, not the Hotels fault mind you.
The rooms were on the 9th floor, extremely quiet and huge. Ultra Modern rooms, flat screen tv, decent size bathroom and shower, Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, plenty of towels, air con rooms and as a light sleeper I must say I slept like a log both nights here which in a hotel is unusual for me.
Breakfast was gorgeous, a buffet with everything one could want, Spoilt for choice and more importantly fresh and cooked correctly, and it was that good it held us on on for most of the day until our Hotel evening meal. Evening meal on the first night was again a Buffet, as with most Coach Trips this usually is the norm. Again plenty of choice, fresh vegetables, to chips, to chicken chasseur, rice, quiches, salads, roast chicken in gravy, plenty of puddings and sweets, yet again spoilt for choice.
On the 2nd night the hotel had a power failure and were unable to hold a buffet for the coach trip clients. As with most Coach Holidays you always get the few that moan and whine probably because with a buffet they want to get their monies worth.
Niall Mitchell Deputy General Manager kept everyone in Beverages and Alcohol for an hour whilst the issue was resolved. In the end Niall asked everyone if they would be ok to use the a la carte menu in the Restaurant, and one could choose anything including Steak. Again some moaned probably because they are of the Chicken Nugget and Chips Variety of the Human Species.
Anyway we were seated in the Restaurant and treated extremely well. Niall and the female staff could not do enough to keep us all happy and we were all informed that other Managers came into work at short notice to ensure we were all fed and watered. This was noticable with staff working their socks off to get 45 people from the Coach Trip their evening meal. I had a Steak getting on for £20, I do not think any other hotel within Shearings/national holidays contracts would of pushed the boat out this far. They even did Pizza and chips for the kids too and gave them colouring books and crayons. I came out of the Restaurant, belly full of steak and a few Alcohol drinks on the house and went upstairs to our room and flaked out.
Niall Mitchell Deputy General Managers customer service on this occasion far exceeded any expectations and he went over and above his job role to keep everyone happy. Ok yes this may well be his job, but he did it with enthusiasm and genuine sincerity which makes all of the difference.
We now positively look for Jurys Inn hotels on any Coach Trip, or if we are driving somewhere and want to stay over.
Another nice touch of Jury's is I went on their Facebook page, commented on the lovely smell of their Gilchrist and Soames Hand gel and Shampoo, and I asked where I could buy this as i could not see it on the manufacturers web site. Anyway 3 days later out of the blue I got a full size bottle of hand gel (probably worth £15-£20 off the manufacturers website for similar goods) sent to me free of a charge through the post, Jurys head office did not have to do this. A nice little touch and a lovely gesture. It seems good customer service is still alive in this day of age.
I will remain loyal to the brand, to all in Jurys Birmingham especially Niall , thank you for making myself the wife and 9 year old son feel most welcome.

Room Tip: Not facing broad street and at least three rooms away from the lift shafts. The hotel is huge so thi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Richard9999_12

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us in Birmingham. We had a tricky situation that we had to deal with however it is fantastic to hear such great feedback regarding the way in which we resolved the situation.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the actions of our Head Office and please be assured that i will personally pass on your thanks to the team that manage our Facebook page.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Birmingham in the near future.

Thanks and kindest regards.

Deputy General Manager
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Whilst working at the ICC, this was the perfect place to stay. The room was a good size and very clean and everything you would expect was present. Breakfast very tasty and plentiful.

Minor gripes are the very expensive car park, mildly disinterested reception staff and the speed of the lifts during busy times. Overall it's very comfy and I'd be happy to stay again and probably will!

Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 July 2013

this hotel was very good. it is your basic chain but well executed. great location to walk or take the bus from. very clean. nice sized bathroom--only the baisc. shampoo and soap. no shower cap or body cream, . great bed. breakfast was good. staff was helpful. internet connection was solid.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Schlockette

Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass your great comments on to the rest of our team.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Deputy General manager
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at jury's in for 3 nights on business. When first arriving I looked up at the big sign and noticed that it looked shabby, this made me think, hmmm maybe I made a mistake booking this place ( going off first impressions) once entering the lobby it was a whole different story the inside was spotless, modern and smart. Rooms exactly the same cannot fault the staff or the business itself. Shall be returning if there not fully booked

Horsham, England
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business. The car park was easy to find but a little expensive £14.20 for the night. The hotel reception was very effective and I had my room key quickly. My room was a nice size, very well kept and clean, bathroom was spot on as well, especially the non slip surface if you wanted a shower. God working space if you need to work in the room and very good Internet access. My colleague and I decided to eat out and this hotel is in an excellent location within Birmingham city centre, I have stayed in a number of places and will always try to stay here again. We actually walked right into the city centre (nice weather so we fancied a walk) but laughed when on our way back we discovered restaurants near enough opposite the hotel, next to the canal ( on the opposite side of the road, walk down the side of the canal and there are loads of places within 5 mins of the hotel main entrance). My only complaint would be breakfast time, it was like a free-for-all, no cutlery on the tables, ou had to search and find everything yourself, never experienced that in a Jury's Inn before, they usually provide a smoother breakfast experience it I will put up with that again for the location and room.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business