“Nice but noisy!”

Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice but noisy!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We booked three nights in this hotel so that we could take our son to Thomas Land at Drayton Manor.

We booked through Expedia who said that we would have one king bed in the room but upon arrival, we were given a small room with a double bed. After going back down to reception, the nice lady told us that this was only a request but kindly moved us to a larger room with a king bed.

My only complaint would be the noise. Try and get a room towards the back of the hotel as you do get a lot of noise from the lifts and the pubs and clubs on the street below.

Overall a nice stay and what you expect from the Jurys brand.

• Stayed July 2013
Niall M, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear MartinC4356111,

Thank you for completing a review following on from your stay at Jurys Inn Birmingham.

I am delighted you had a nice stay with us and your request for a King bed was actioned however please accept my sincere apologies for the noise disruption you experienced.

If you would like to discuss your stay further with me please feel free to contact me on the below details.

Kind Regards

niall_mitchell@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Finnish first
belfast
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Having stayed at Jury's Inn Cork very recently, i was quite wary of another Jury's stay due to the very poor customer service and the downright shabbiness in Cork, however, i was more than pleasantly surprised at the Broad Street Jury's Inn, which we stayed at 27-30th July 2013.

For the bargain price we paid, i expected a small hotel with no facilities, however, Jury's Inn Broad Street is the largest hotel in Birmingham, and full of everything you'd expect from a large hotel.

Check in was extremely quick. We arrived later in the day, and reception was clearly expecting us, as my room keys were handed to me immediately. Stayed in a very large double room on the 5th floor.

Plenty of bed linen, room cleaned throughly during stay (i don't like it when they don't clean it well between your first and second day there!) , all mod cons in the room. Extremely quiet stay- didn't hear a peep from corridor or outside, and i am a very very light sleeper!

The breakfast was good. Completely self-service, which seemed to confuse a lot of people (i don't know why). Like any self-service, you pick up your cutlery and napkins when you are filling your plate at the buffet. Not sure why so many people who were there at the same time as us complained about no cutlery on the table.

Plenty to eat, and both mornings were very very busy at breakfast, can't fault the staff for making sure all trays and juices were constantly refilled. Everyone seemed to be getting stuck in, managers and all carrying trays to the buffet. Nobody likes to queue at breakfast, so this effort is much appreciated

Had a drink with friends one night in the bar- quite quiet, nice large seated area, very relaxing. Plenty of places to eat in and around the hotel so we didn't eat in any of the restaurants, although we were tempted by Pushkar, the Indian one- it looked so good!

Very very pleased with our stay. Paid such a small rate for a great service, and a very clean, modern hotel, so couldn't be happier. I have paid similar rates for hostels in the area, so i was extremely pleased at the quality in this Jury's Inn

I would stay here again without a doubt
In Summation- great value, pleasantly surprised all round :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank irishtravellers
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed here recently for 4 days for a work trip. It was fine, but nothing more (I'd always thought Jury's Inns were a bit classier); the room was clean and spruce, although one evening I did find a lot of silica gel beads under the sheet (odd). The carpet gripper strip in front of the bathroom doorway stuck through the carpet, which was a bit painful when I first stood on it. The room faced at right angles to the main street and was quite noisy on Thursday night until around 2am from the club across the road. The air conditioning only went down to 20 degrees which was annoying on a very warm night. Breakfast offered a wide range from yoghurt and cereal to a full cooked breakfast, and the toast-maker kept me entertained every morning - but it was a bit unhealthy with not many muesli/fruit options. Also I found the set up confusing - didn't know which way round I should go, and no wiser by day 4 than on day 1!
The bar staff were great and the reception staff were friendly and efficient on the whole. Good location, right in the centre of things and not far to New Street Train Station for getting to other places.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear ViewHalloo,

Thank you for taking time to complete a review following on from your stay at Jurys Inn Birmingham.

I am delighted that you received such good customer service from our team and will pass on your comments however disappointed that you did not find our hotel to be of good quality. We are always striving to improve our overall product and enhance our guest experience.

I would be interested to discuss this further with you, If you would like to contact me I am available on the below details.

Kind Regards

cambridgeshire
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for a stag night on a saturday with a group of friends.

We paid £89 for a double room, though it was £10 extra for breakfast.

The hotels location was perfect for central birmingham with all the bars and restaurants on the doorstep. The only downside was having to pay a further £14.20 for 24hrs parking.

The rooms were a good size with en suite bathroom. The room was a good size with tv, kettle, iron etc. It was very clean and well sound proofed.

Breakfast was a buffet of hot and cold breakfast choices. It was very good though all the buffet points were far apart so people were constantly in each others way. It made no sense

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Great hotel lovely room but the noise of the lifts are awful. I am staying with my husband and children and the noise is keeping us all up. Its constant. We have a 3 hour journey in the morning and we are all going to be knackered

• Stayed July 2013
Niall M, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear hillieryan

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. I am glad you find our hotel great and rooms lovely, however please accept my most sincere apologies for the noise disruption you and your family experienced during your stay with us.

If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our family went here on a National Holidays Coach trip for two nights to explore West Midlands Safari Park, Cadbury World and Severn Valley Railway.
Having seen other reviews about noise etc, lift shafts etc I asked at check in for a quiet room away from Broad Street and lift shafts. Were were not disappointed. We had two rooms given next to one another as no family rooms where available with the Coach Company we booked through, not the Hotels fault mind you.
The rooms were on the 9th floor, extremely quiet and huge. Ultra Modern rooms, flat screen tv, decent size bathroom and shower, Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, plenty of towels, air con rooms and as a light sleeper I must say I slept like a log both nights here which in a hotel is unusual for me.
Breakfast was gorgeous, a buffet with everything one could want, Spoilt for choice and more importantly fresh and cooked correctly, and it was that good it held us on on for most of the day until our Hotel evening meal. Evening meal on the first night was again a Buffet, as with most Coach Trips this usually is the norm. Again plenty of choice, fresh vegetables, to chips, to chicken chasseur, rice, quiches, salads, roast chicken in gravy, plenty of puddings and sweets, yet again spoilt for choice.
On the 2nd night the hotel had a power failure and were unable to hold a buffet for the coach trip clients. As with most Coach Holidays you always get the few that moan and whine probably because with a buffet they want to get their monies worth.
Niall Mitchell Deputy General Manager kept everyone in Beverages and Alcohol for an hour whilst the issue was resolved. In the end Niall asked everyone if they would be ok to use the a la carte menu in the Restaurant, and one could choose anything including Steak. Again some moaned probably because they are of the Chicken Nugget and Chips Variety of the Human Species.
Anyway we were seated in the Restaurant and treated extremely well. Niall and the female staff could not do enough to keep us all happy and we were all informed that other Managers came into work at short notice to ensure we were all fed and watered. This was noticable with staff working their socks off to get 45 people from the Coach Trip their evening meal. I had a Steak getting on for £20, I do not think any other hotel within Shearings/national holidays contracts would of pushed the boat out this far. They even did Pizza and chips for the kids too and gave them colouring books and crayons. I came out of the Restaurant, belly full of steak and a few Alcohol drinks on the house and went upstairs to our room and flaked out.
Niall Mitchell Deputy General Managers customer service on this occasion far exceeded any expectations and he went over and above his job role to keep everyone happy. Ok yes this may well be his job, but he did it with enthusiasm and genuine sincerity which makes all of the difference.
We now positively look for Jurys Inn hotels on any Coach Trip, or if we are driving somewhere and want to stay over.
Another nice touch of Jury's is I went on their Facebook page, commented on the lovely smell of their Gilchrist and Soames Hand gel and Shampoo, and I asked where I could buy this as i could not see it on the manufacturers web site. Anyway 3 days later out of the blue I got a full size bottle of hand gel (probably worth £15-£20 off the manufacturers website for similar goods) sent to me free of a charge through the post, Jurys head office did not have to do this. A nice little touch and a lovely gesture. It seems good customer service is still alive in this day of age.
I will remain loyal to the brand, to all in Jurys Birmingham especially Niall , thank you for making myself the wife and 9 year old son feel most welcome.

Room Tip: Not facing broad street and at least three rooms away from the lift shafts. The hotel is huge so thi...