“Could be better”

Ranked #20 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Durham, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 11pm and allocated room 430. It was really cold with a big bathroom with no radiator. There was a small heater on the wall in the bathroom that I switched in before going straight to bed. Woke up and the bathroom was still a bit cold.
Room was comfortable and functional. The only problem was the lift noise (think it was service lifts?) which were very noisy.
On this occasion did not eat but previously have and was fine.
Nice friendly staff and convenient for work. Price is excellent.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Finnish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Jury's Inn is right in the centre of the city. Don't listen to your satnav but drive up Broad Street from the Five Ways roundabout, pass Jury's on the right and turn right into Gas Street. Follow the road round to Berkley street and you are led up a one way street to Jury's Inn car park (a paying car park right next to the hotel). Disabled parking was excellent, under cover, right by the back door and 24 hours cost £14.20 whereas in Oxford one hour can be £5.30!

Reception staff were pleasant, but one of the three key cards we requested would not work after multiple attempts.

The room (608) was large with good sized beds and two pillow each. There was a view over to Gas Street Basin.

We were there for my daughter's graduation and the ICC was only 5 minutes away.
My only grumbles were a continuously noisy lift shaft even though we were not that near the lifts and some black grouting round the bath. Two of the towels were slightly stained (although washed).

The wi-fi and wired network were expensive at £5 per hour (and could easily be free these days or a nominal daily charge). Luckily our mobile phones had great reception and there were telecom masts on the top of most large buildings so I imagine all providers had good coverage.

Our biggest grumble is the fact that the windows are sealed and after much playing and following instructions in the printed brochure for making adjustments, found that the aircon was set to automatic with a minimum of 20C. This got very stuffy in the night, especially as the aircon seemed to have switched off on its own and we could not have a quick blast of colder air to clear the room. We ended up putting the suitcase trolley in the door to keep it open!

Overall great location and comfy room but sealed windows, noisy lift and the aircon problem would make me go back to the Premier Inn or Novotel.

I chose Jury's Inn as it was the nearest to the ICC for an early morning start.

We paid £71 for room only for three adults.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
kent
Reviewed 3 March 2014

first time at this hotel and in Birmingham lovely hotel good location easy parking stayed for the weekend was going to the photograpy show at the nec our room was on the 10th floor not bad at all very roomy and comfortable lovely breakfast plenty of choice all fresh staff very polite at all times we had a evening meal on sunday night in the grill bar lovely meal thankyou jury inn for a execcelent stay

Room Tip: choose a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week and the location was fab for whatever you wanted to do. About five minuets after we arrived and were just about to be checked in a Russian orchestra arrived and had to be checked in at the same time. We thought " Oh No we will be all day waiting to be checked in". The were taken to a separate area of the check in area we were given our keys and on our merry way as if we were the only ones in the hotel.
The room was very comfortable. When you leave the hotel you are 3 mins walk to a host of restaurants and exhibition centers. And the Bull Ring is only about a 10 mins stroll away.
The breakfast was very good as well. Fresh hot food was put out quite frequent. We all loved it. You can park in the back of the hotel for a very good rate. And would stay again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed at the Jurys Inn in Birmingham for a two day conference last week, what a nightmare. It started well when I found the hotel, but it all went down hill from there. Firstly it took 20 minutes to check in. There were plenty of staff but the whole system was, organisation and IT, was a shambles.

Having finally got through the pain of check-in, I set off to my room. Having swiped my card, I entered the room to find there was already someone there - I'm not sure who was the most surprised, at least I was fully clothed!! - Back to reception and this time another 15 minutes wait while the staff had a "how could this happen discussion." Got upgraded to a king size room and off I went. This time a room to myself.

Next day - the conference. organisation was ok, but the noise from the air conditioning in the room made hearing each other a challenge. Lunch arrived - sandwiches and some hot potatoes. The sandwiches were stale, having been un wrapped for only 10 minutes.

Headed back to my room to find my key card did not work, so back to reception. Apparently "the system" had checked me out and moved me to another room - my stuff was still in the original room. 20 minutes later I'm allocated my original room. Heading back I am full of joy, till I open the door and you guessed there was another person in the room, with my clothes - at least it was a young woman this time.

Checking out on day 2 took 20 minutes in the middle of the morning. The supervisor tells me he is just back from 2 days off and cannot believe the shambles he has found - apparently the system is always slow.

If you are looking for a business hotel or conference location STAY WELL CLEAR of Jurys Inn Birmingham.

Room Tip: Not in this hotel is best idea, but if your luck runs out the higher the better
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Niall M, Manager at Jurys Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear 929ScottB929

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Firstly , please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. It is very clear from your review that we have really got our service wrong on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that I am personally looking in to all of the faults that you have highlighted and I will strive to ensure all of these are rectified so as to ensure that they do not occur again.

I would like to have the opportunity to discuss some of your comments in more detail with you, if you would like to do so please so not hesitate to contact me directly.

Once again, my most sincere apologies.

Kindest regards

Niall Mitchell
Deputy General Manager
niall_mitchell@jurysinns.com
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I've been very critical of Jurys in Birmingham in the past but now the rooms are good, staff very helpful, irons in the room and good quality tv. It's on Broad Street so it's going to be lively, that's part of the attraction. But...given it's great improvement since refurbishment I was tempted to have a meal in the hotel. I liked the look of the venison burger with marmalade, now maybe I should take things more literally but with a lovely taste such as venison I expected a subtle marmalade of maybe red currant but not full blown orange breakfast marmalade. I have to say sadly that it was the worst meal I've had for many years and I do travel a lot and like to try new ideas but I really don't understand why you would smother such a beautiful taste such as venison with sticky overpowering sweet flavour. Hotel is greatly improved and the cooked breakfast is always good, maybe I just chose badly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed at the Jurys Inn on business for one night, as I was attending an business do at the ICC. Great location for those heading to the ICC, it is a short walk down Broad St to the venue.

My room was on the sixth floor and I was pleased with the cleanliness and general standard of the room. If I was being picky the shower could have been higher (a common compliant) and the iron didn't work. But they are minor points.

I woke feeling refreshed, and I generally have problems with mattresses, which shows me that it was of a good quality. Plentiful buffet breakfast was decent quality and not too busy.

Would I stay in the Jurys Inn again? Yes, I would.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business