“Adequate nights stay”

Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Adequate nights stay”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My son and I stayed here for a one night stay prior to visiting Villa Park which was a 10 minute drive away. It is also well located for Birmingham city centre. On arrival staff were very polite, friendly and informative. The room was clean, neat and tidy with the usual toiletries, tea, coffee, hairdrier etc. The dining room/bar area was also clean and tidy and staff very friendly. Continental breakfast was included in the price but we opted to pay extra for a cooked breakfast. This proved a good move as the continental was a bit sparse, the usual items but not a lot of them. Overall it was good value for money and suited the purpose of our visit.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 August 2012

What can I say...
Front if house Staff... varied European but all fluent and so very exceptionally helpful and friendly. Knew the area and couldn't do enough to help.
Chef... Magic Mike was available to Offer guidance on my specific diabetic diet. Cooked us the most wonderful tuna and the deserts were or of this world.
Chambermaids... Very friendly and chatty. Did not make you feel they were intruding.
Rooms... Aimed at business people so very clean but basic. Bed very comfy and lots of tea and coffee provided.
Location... Less a mile from the Bullring and university for leisure facilities.
Special thanks to Maria, Alba, Mike and Jackie. Very good

• Stayed August 2012
Newcastle
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

As a lot of others have, we stayed here with a groupon offer (my partner bought it without reading any reviews first!). We also presumed the offer was £12.95 for dinner per person, and were informed whilst checking in that this was not the case. We started to complain that this isnt exactly made clear - and were abruptly told by the receptionist to contact groupon if we werent happy.

Our room was very outdated, but was clean enough. We changed our minds about what time we'd like to eat dinner, we rang reception straight away to change this and were told this was not a problem. When we went down for dinner however, they obviously hadn't been informed that we'd changed the time and the waitress we spoke to didn't seem happy that we weren't there at the time that they had written down!

Dinner wasn't the best, the bread we had to start was stale & was freezing cold?! (I presume had been kept in the fridge to prolong it?!) I enquired about the buffet and was totally misinformed about what it included (as I then heard others being told something different, and I also read a poster with the correct info on), our soft drinks were completely flat, and finally when we asked for ketchup we got mayonaise!

As others have said, breakfast was the best part-lots of options & all nice. The only problem here was being asked 3 times if staff could take my plate away while I was still eating!!! So annoying.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank S2kes

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

london
Reviewed 4 August 2012

As other guests I didi read Tripadvisor comments before getting to the hotel. I must say I was not too impressed about what it was written. However, when I arrived I had to change my mind. Ok, the hotel is not the GrandHotel but it does the job. Staff is very nice and professional, food is ok. I have to agree the rooms need a bit of decoration but they are clean and tudy. Overall, an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank londonstar1
Broseley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Just stayed here on a groupon deal. Didn't expect too much for the money £49.00 and got what I expected. Room was in need of updating and not the cleanest. Shower over the bath designed for small people, I was unable to stand underneath it. Bed too close to bathroom door and flourescent light made a racket when switched on, waking my other half up during the night. On the plus side staff were very friendly and as it was quiet we didn't wait too long for our food to be served. However, if the restaurant had been busy the staffing would have been inadequate. My chicken and rocquefort salad was a welcome change from the usual bland salads. Had a hiccup( as many people appear to have had) in making the waitress understand that we thought the £12-95 meal allowance was for each of us and not to be shared between two. The amount would hardly cover a starter. However when we objected the bill was rectified.
Breakfast was adequate and there was plenty of it. I always write these reviews thinking would I pay full price to stay again and this time the answer would have to be no. For a groupon deal the price and stay was reasonable

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
bromsgrove,worcestershire
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for 1 night here last weekend and was impressed with the hotel, we did'nt expect 4* service, we went on a Groupon voucher so only cost us £39 with breakfast included.
The room was spotless and very comfortable and found the staff lovely...

Some of the bad reviews on here amazed me!! We have stayed in hotels all over the world and this certainly was nothing to moan about, would stay again...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Halesowen, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at the hotel through grupon I also read a lot of trip advisor first and was not expecting much but me and the wife , found the staff especially helpful and the kitchen staff were very helpful and friendly ,I loved the swimming pool out back did need cleaning though ,joking.

Overall I thought that it was very nice food was good staff very nice and friendly ,

Thank you Stuart and david kitchen members

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple