“Perfect for what low expectations”

Campanile Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Firstly I booked the hotel off groupon- with the late checkout + 1 course dinner and breakfast.

After reading reviews I was expecting a dirty dingy hotel, But it was the same standard as a travelodge and premier inn hotel.

It was clean which I think is the main thing- has a tea and coffee making facility - Cupboard- TV with sky channels- Hair dryer - FREE Wifi + the bathroom had the standard soap and shower wash on the wall.
Some hotels don't even have these facilities or you have to pay for them- you can ask for an iron from reception.

The dinner is standard you with many options - but ask for the buffet dessert as you get to have as many desserts as you like the same price as one of the desserts on the list.
Breakfast was great and had many options.

Staff were helpful

If you want 5star hotel- then you need to pay the price! So quit complaining.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Campanile Birmingham

Reviewed 27 August 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August 2012 for 1 night and it was perfect for us. We did get a taxi into the city centre the first time which cost just £6, but we memorised the way and walked back to the hotel which took about 25 mins. Our hotel room was really clean, and the shower was fab (really powerful and stayed warm)! Rooms have a tv which was good for watching the Olympics. There is also a bar in the hotel with tvs. At night time, I was woken up by guests returning after a night out but I didn't complain as this is expected when staying in a hotel.

Breakfast was lovely - we had the continental breakfast and there was lots of food including croissants, cereal, toast and fruit. Car park is free but it did get quite busy while we were there but we had no problem getting a space. The staff were friendly and check-in was easy and fast.

All in all we were extremely happy with this hotel and if we are visiting Birmingham again would certainly go back.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Having read through the many discouraging reviews about this hotel, I expected the worst. How wrong could I be. It's amazing that the worst of the reviews are from Groupon deals where they paid £49 for two people for dinner bed and breakfast - get real. So the £50 paid includes £10 each for a main course (which covers every option just about) - all the food we had was well presented and of good quality including fresh veg - and the breakfast is brilliant. Loads of choice, no limits - even freshly cut grapefruit - not out of a can. So you're paying at most £20 for the room for two people. How can anybody complain at that? Yes the rooms are a bit dated but spotlessly clean and everything worked. There is a spare towel in the dressing table draw. This hotel is a business hotel at it's best for courses, university delegates, reps etc. It isn't really a romantic holiday destination. Unlike the nearby Premier Inn which is timber framed, it has concrete floors so much reduced internal noise. Finally the service - simply superb. Others have picked up on this and it is well deserved. Smiling faces, attentive, helpful, local knowledge, English language (rare) and even a sense of humour - well done and thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Quieter overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I attended a two day training course here in their Henley room on the first floor, there were twenty of us on the course and the room suited this amount of people quite well I think. One thing they do need to fix is he air conditioning, which cools the room well but makes a noise like a drill every minute or so, a bit annoying when you are trying to listen to the tutor !
Coffee/Tea facilities were available just outside the door and we had use of their on site restaurant at dinner time which was much better than I expected, apart from on the second day there was some odd rule that we could have only have tea but not coffee as this was not in the package or something (But we could still get coffee for free upstairs?)
There was no problem parking and the location suited us well (Just off the end of the Aston Express-way)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Tha Campanile is located next to a very busy main road but on the back has a view over the canal. It is about a 20minute walk from the city centre and has good public transport links. The room we had backed onto the car park which meant that having the window open on a very warm day was noisy but as there was no air aconditioning we didn't have a choice. The room was basic but clean but as there were two of us it was disappointing to see only one bath towel and no hand towel. We stayed on a Group on deal so dinner was included, the bar/restaurant area is fairly small but again very clean. We booked for 8.45pm now maybe it would been better food if we had eaten earlier but i doubt it. I ordered the tuna steak which i assumed would be cooked fresh so i asked for it to be pink, the waitress told me that they hadn't got any potatoes left and offered me chips i declined and asked for the vegetables instead the other in my party decided on the buffet as it had a lasagne with it. It took almost 25minutes before my plate of food came out, in that time the lasagne had finished and staff had put a fish dish in cream sauce straight into the lasagne container, not pleasent. I was horrified when i saw my dish i can barely describe what the tuna looked like let alone how it was cooked, possibly using the microwave and my vegetable was tinned peas plonked on the plate. The other in my party managed to get a piece of battered hake or at least thats what it said on the label however it could have been any old white fish. Again this dish was supposed to come with green beans and wedges neither were in site but the lovely tinned peas popped up. Neither dish was really edible and when we complained we were offered a dessert and a coffee, again who wants those after what you've just been given. The breakfast the following morning was adequate. Not a place i would stay again and i would certainly never eat there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back may be slightly quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My son and I stayed here for a one night stay prior to visiting Villa Park which was a 10 minute drive away. It is also well located for Birmingham city centre. On arrival staff were very polite, friendly and informative. The room was clean, neat and tidy with the usual toiletries, tea, coffee, hairdrier etc. The dining room/bar area was also clean and tidy and staff very friendly. Continental breakfast was included in the price but we opted to pay extra for a cooked breakfast. This proved a good move as the continental was a bit sparse, the usual items but not a lot of them. Overall it was good value for money and suited the purpose of our visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

What can I say...
Front if house Staff... varied European but all fluent and so very exceptionally helpful and friendly. Knew the area and couldn't do enough to help.
Chef... Magic Mike was available to Offer guidance on my specific diabetic diet. Cooked us the most wonderful tuna and the deserts were or of this world.
Chambermaids... Very friendly and chatty. Did not make you feel they were intruding.
Rooms... Aimed at business people so very clean but basic. Bed very comfy and lots of tea and coffee provided.
Location... Less a mile from the Bullring and university for leisure facilities.
Special thanks to Maria, Alba, Mike and Jackie. Very good