“Should have been ok but .......”

Campanile Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Alfreton
“Should have been ok but .......”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Booked using my Groupon voucher, and arranged to meet a friend at the hotel for dinner. Room was small and fairly basic, but adequate, especially as I was staying there alone. Nice having free on site car parking. My friend had pointed out that it wasnt in the best of areas, and she was right. Have to say I'd assumed (silly me) from the photo that the hotel was more central. We ate in the hotel at night - the meal was OK, nothing great but ok. However around 4am I awoke with serious stomach pains and had to spend the next 4 hours in the loo with the runs. It can only have been the meal in the hotel as I hadnt eaten anything else. Around 8am I felt able to attempt to sleep for an hour before heading over to Leicester to work. However my room (26) was opposite the hotel laundry, and seemed to be a congregating area for staff - who were far from considerate of the fact there could be guests sleeping in (especially as the Groupon voucher offered late checkout of 4pm). There was no chance of my grabbing a small amount of sleep before leaving for work. At checkout I asked for a complaints form to report my food poisoning, and was told by the lady that she was the manager. She gave me a business card and told me to email the details to her, which I did immediately on getting into work. 2 days passed and I hadnt received a reply, so I emailed again. I have still not received a reply 8 days later. I have even emailed their head office, but again not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement. If it hadnt been for the food poisoning I would have thought this was a reasonable break through the Groupon offer, but when a hotel ignore a customer being made ill by their food, that is a very poor tale indeed. I will certainly never return to a Campanile hotel again.

Room Tip: If you want a lie in dont have a room anywhere near room 26!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
cheltenham
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Had i read the reviews for this hotel before i booked a Groupon deal, i probably wouldn't have booked it. However, i have just returned from a visit to this hotel & was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very easy to find. It wasn't located in the prettiest of places, but we managed to park which was free & secure at night, & received a kind welcome from the gentleman on reception called Karol. We were checked in quickly & he explained all we received as part of our deal, told us where to find towels in the room, & checked our reservation for dinner. The room is dated & small, but was clean & had all we needed for our stay. There is a flat screen tv, tea/coffee etc. We drank in the bar, and the drinks were reasonably priced. Our deal included a main meal EACH to the value of £12.95 & was really tasty. Our waitress Jackie was lovely, really friendly & made some recommendations. Our bill was wrong when it arrived & there were no quibbles trying to sort it out (charged for too many drinks!!). Our deal also included full breakfast, which was buffet style, including cooked food, cereal, toast, continental, fruit etc. Again this was all really nice. We got taxi's into the centre of Birmingham, which were ordered by the hotel & reasonably priced. It was located a little bit out of the centre, so not sure how long it would take to walk? The hotel was busy, but we we didn't encounter any noise issues etc. Considering the cost of the deal ( £39 for 2) i felt that this was definately good value & if a deal came up again here, would book it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed here on a Groupon deal and it was very good value, with a lovely meal in the restaurant in the evening and a good breakfast which lasted us all day!

Room a bit on the small side, but it didn't matter because we were there to visit family. I noted Colin W's review and in particular the second towel being under the dressing table. It is an odd place to keep a towel as it was over the opposite side of the room to the bathroom! Fortunately, we were told at reception when checking in where to find it!

The location was nice being right on the canal and all in all, we would use this hotel again when visiting family if the right deal came up.

Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

When first read the reviews we were expecting the worst! But the staff were very friendly and the meal in the restaurant was lovely! The rooms could do with an update but were adequate!if a groupon deal came up for this hotel again we would definite buy again! Darren from wisbech

• Stayed September 2012
Wadebridge
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Budget price but better than we expected. Tea and coffee in room, and TWO towels which is not always the case at this price(the second towel was in a cudboard under the dressing table which we found after a bit of searching). Room was a bit plain, and some of the bathroom fittings were tired, but everything worked. Free wi-fi into the bargain which when I used it was downloading data at a decent speed. Where this hotel really scores is it's restaurant and bar areas which avoid the usual branded style, for a modern but warm design. Had dinner here which we found to be fairly priced and the food was nice. Table service was prompt, polite, and efficient. Only complaint was that my chicken was served in a sauce which really should have been allowed to cool down a bit, before being sent out. The roof of my mouth was a bit sore for a couple of days, but maybe I should not have been so impatient to get stuck in! We you use budget hotels regularly, and have grown to understand what to expect, but we're pleasantly surprised. The bottom line is that the two of us shared a clean room for the night, reasonably close to the centre of Birmingham, with free wi-fi, a two course meal each, and a bottle of wine between us, for £45 each which isn't bad really. One other thing....make sure you check how to get to it, otherwise you will end up stuck on the A38 and onto the tangled flyovers of Spaghetti Junction!

1 Thank Colin W
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

very handy for the canal and a short walk into the centre. Hotel might not be the best but was clean and comfortable and the staff couldnt have been more helpful and informative. Yes I would stay there again.

Room Tip: have a room overlooking the canal. And walk into the centre
NORTH EAST
Reviewed 5 September 2012

stayed one night on business,
bit run down and grubby.
staff helpful but some don't understand English too well,
a bit expensive for what you get,stayed in a lot better hotels for less.
breakfast was included and was OK
location is almost on industrial est.but also on canal.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels