“Nice enough hotel, let's itself down with trivial things” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campanile Birmingham

Campanile Birmingham
Ranked #98 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice enough hotel, let's itself down with trivial things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Good hotel, but let down by a few points. The room was clean, but the design of where the bathroom door was & the position of the bed made it feel a bit closed in. And the wallpaper being similar to woodchip was awful. Very comfy bed though. Positioning of all the sockets was just bizarre, halfway up walls etc. & very impractical & not visually pleasing.
Breakfast was nice enough, although the menu stated a help yourself continental, or a couple of quid more for cooked, & made it sound as if it was also select yourself, but was just take what you're given - wasn't even asked my preference for the egg, which was stated on the menu. There was also no coffee available from the machine, & I didn't have time to ask the staff.
The staff were great though.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Used to work away in Aston and stayed at this hotel regularly during the week up until five years ago along with many other trades and business people. Stayed here again last Thursday for one night with my wife and found the hotel has changed little and there's been minimal investment.

Positives: Budget price, reasonable location for central Birmingham (5-10 mins in a taxi) and the M6, plenty of parking even for larger vehicles, evening meals reasonable value and enjoyable, staff very polite and helpful, rooms and beds clean and comfortable with free-to-air TV channels, rooms at the back overlook the canal.

Negatives: On an old industrial estate and, in my opinion, not suitable for wandering outside the hotel complex in the evening. Room needed modernising; depressing grey painted woodchip wallpaper and tired furniture. Bath had worn taps with a difficult to set shower positioned at shoulder height for me (I'm 6' 0") above the bath and had a plastic shower curtain. Rooms have thin walls (inconsiderate guests in the adjoining room were a pain even though I'm not a light sleeper). .

Didn't take breakfast.

Would stay here again for a single night away if driving to Birmingham because of its price and convenience but no longer than that. Factor in taxi fares of about £7 each way if travelling to, say, the Bullring.

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the canal away from the car park
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellingman90
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently had to find somewhere reasonable to stay for a few weeks, and recommend The Campanile in Birmingham. Yes, its basic, but its perfect for example for attending Aston University as a part time student, or person there on business. The WIFI is brilliant and parking is free. Staff go out of their way to assist and are there round the clock. The only thing they could improve on is the food and the cleanliness of the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quieter and rooms on higher floors tend have slightly slower WIFI.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank YD27
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

If I could, I would have given zero!
Whilst the hotel was fine, compact and clean, the whole booking experience from the start has been a night mare.
I booked a one-night stay for my Mum and myself for the 13th September (booked on the 8th), but whilst booking the website crashed before completion. As no booking reference was issued (as advised it would be), I tried to book again. The same thing happened so I called the UK number on the website to book. It was confirmed that no booking had been completed so I was happy to book with the agent over the phone. My card number was taken and we looked forward to our stay.
No communication came from Louvre Hotels (the parent company), and we had our stay in the hotel on the 13th.
On the 16th September, fully 3 days after my stay, I received an email advising that I was going to be charged for the other two stays I had booked (despite the bookings not being completed and no reference sent to me). They were aware the website crashed but said I would have to cancel the 2 extra bookings to avoid being charged, even though all 3 bookings were identical! I went on their website but was unable to cancel the bookings as it was AFTER the date of stay! As it happened, when I checked my bank account the charges had gone through that day, all 3 of them!! I had been charged for the same booking 3 times, I was furious!
I called the UK number to find out how to get my refund due to THEIR error and was told I had to call France. I refused and asked them to request a call back to me. And so the trouble began!!
I emailed, called and even sent Facebook messages, with no success. I did not even get an acknowledgement of my complaint until I tweeted about the poor customer service by the company on Twitter.
I have had to provide proof of the overcharge (did this several weeks ago), and to date, I am still waiting for my refund! I received a letter yesterday saying they would refund my payment in EUROS, which means I am out of pocket as I paid in sterling. Once my bank apply a conversion charge, I will be considerably out of pocket due to the exchange rate.
I have sent numerous emails and made several phone calls, and have vowed to never use this company again!!!
They cannot even get my name right in their correspondence and will pursue this until I get ALL the money back they have overcharged me!!
If you believe in good customer service, honest and respectable charges, and prompt responses to complaints, then DO NOT book with this chain of hotels!!
Nearly two months after my stay, I am still waiting for my money :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Was put here for one night - not through my choice!

Firstly, it's a bit out of the way - on a sort of industrial estate - although a 25-30 minute walk will get you into the city centre. Check-in was ok. European staff spoke English well enough. I was here on a Saturday night and it was very busy. And noisy.

Lots of noise coming from other rooms but thankfully not around mine. Rooms are pretty poor. Small, dingy, poorly decorated with old, knackered furniture. Hardly any plug sockets and a crappy TV. Bathroom was even worse with tiny basin, toilet hanging off the wall and awful shower.

Guess you get what you pay for but this room was £55 for a night not including breakfast! If I'd paid £25 it wouldn't be so bad.

There's a Premier Inn just over the canal - would recommend that!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank simonp820
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Good price for a Saturday night stay. Nice view from room overlooking canal and locks.Had a meal and drinks in restaurant and had no complaints about food but the Chef wasn't exactly overworked as only three people ate all night. Unusual for a Saturday. Nothing in close vicinity to hotel. All staff helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Two_ronnies
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I could not understand the receptionist as she didnt seem to know much english. Also we were only gave one big towel and a small one for washing our hands. And when we turned the shower on it flooded the bathroom therefore I went to ask for more towels. We needed some for our bodies and also the floor! Yet she would only give us two and she was very rude about that. She just didnt seem to want to help at all. But apart from the bathroom situation. The room was good but average. When we got there a wedding party was going on and their were people all over the stairs so it made it hard to commute. I guess the place was good for the price as I got it cheaper on booking.com!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends