“Needs work”

Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Celticfemale
“Needs work”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed here for one night. As you first walk in it looks just fine. Although it's in the middle of nowhere if you don't drive, and taxi's into the centre are £8 each way.

The room is soooo poorly designed. the bathroom door is so close to the bed that if you were a large person it would be difficult to get in.

The TV plug socket is 6 1/2 feet high over the TV and table ... I'm 5ft tall. A member of staff had to come and switch it on.
The socket for the kettle is tucked behind the TV.
There are no rails by the bath.

The shower head holder was broken, so the shower actually was at chest height ... and as I said I'm only 5ft.

It needed a deep clean, the splash back behind the toilet and sick had only been wiped ... it was dirty up to about 6 inches off the ground.

Because the shower holder was broken I could see that it hadn't been cleaned, probably since it was installed.

There was a toenail in the carpet.

There was a used cotton bud left in the bathroom

The breakfast .... typical of budget hotels, rubbery eggs and dried bacon.

The staff, largely, seemed really helpful (there's always one)

Oh and the sleeping ... I was next to a door in the corridor. at one point when I was sleeping someone opened it and I thought that someone was knocking on the door

The sheets were clean. :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Good hotel, but let down by a few points. The room was clean, but the design of where the bathroom door was & the position of the bed made it feel a bit closed in. And the wallpaper being similar to woodchip was awful. Very comfy bed though. Positioning of all the sockets was just bizarre, halfway up walls etc. & very impractical & not visually pleasing.
Breakfast was nice enough, although the menu stated a help yourself continental, or a couple of quid more for cooked, & made it sound as if it was also select yourself, but was just take what you're given - wasn't even asked my preference for the egg, which was stated on the menu. There was also no coffee available from the machine, & I didn't have time to ask the staff.
The staff were great though.

• Stayed November 2013
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Used to work away in Aston and stayed at this hotel regularly during the week up until five years ago along with many other trades and business people. Stayed here again last Thursday for one night with my wife and found the hotel has changed little and there's been minimal investment.

Positives: Budget price, reasonable location for central Birmingham (5-10 mins in a taxi) and the M6, plenty of parking even for larger vehicles, evening meals reasonable value and enjoyable, staff very polite and helpful, rooms and beds clean and comfortable with free-to-air TV channels, rooms at the back overlook the canal.

Negatives: On an old industrial estate and, in my opinion, not suitable for wandering outside the hotel complex in the evening. Room needed modernising; depressing grey painted woodchip wallpaper and tired furniture. Bath had worn taps with a difficult to set shower positioned at shoulder height for me (I'm 6' 0") above the bath and had a plastic shower curtain. Rooms have thin walls (inconsiderate guests in the adjoining room were a pain even though I'm not a light sleeper). .

Didn't take breakfast.

Would stay here again for a single night away if driving to Birmingham because of its price and convenience but no longer than that. Factor in taxi fares of about £7 each way if travelling to, say, the Bullring.

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the canal away from the car park
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellingman90
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently had to find somewhere reasonable to stay for a few weeks, and recommend The Campanile in Birmingham. Yes, its basic, but its perfect for example for attending Aston University as a part time student, or person there on business. The WIFI is brilliant and parking is free. Staff go out of their way to assist and are there round the clock. The only thing they could improve on is the food and the cleanliness of the rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quieter and rooms on higher floors tend have slightly slower WIFI.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank YD27
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If I could, I would have given zero!
Whilst the hotel was fine, compact and clean, the whole booking experience from the start has been a night mare.
I booked a one-night stay for my Mum and myself for the 13th September (booked on the 8th), but whilst booking the website crashed before completion. As no booking reference was issued (as advised it would be), I tried to book again. The same thing happened so I called the UK number on the website to book. It was confirmed that no booking had been completed so I was happy to book with the agent over the phone. My card number was taken and we looked forward to our stay.
No communication came from Louvre Hotels (the parent company), and we had our stay in the hotel on the 13th.
On the 16th September, fully 3 days after my stay, I received an email advising that I was going to be charged for the other two stays I had booked (despite the bookings not being completed and no reference sent to me). They were aware the website crashed but said I would have to cancel the 2 extra bookings to avoid being charged, even though all 3 bookings were identical! I went on their website but was unable to cancel the bookings as it was AFTER the date of stay! As it happened, when I checked my bank account the charges had gone through that day, all 3 of them!! I had been charged for the same booking 3 times, I was furious!
I called the UK number to find out how to get my refund due to THEIR error and was told I had to call France. I refused and asked them to request a call back to me. And so the trouble began!!
I emailed, called and even sent Facebook messages, with no success. I did not even get an acknowledgement of my complaint until I tweeted about the poor customer service by the company on Twitter.
I have had to provide proof of the overcharge (did this several weeks ago), and to date, I am still waiting for my refund! I received a letter yesterday saying they would refund my payment in EUROS, which means I am out of pocket as I paid in sterling. Once my bank apply a conversion charge, I will be considerably out of pocket due to the exchange rate.
I have sent numerous emails and made several phone calls, and have vowed to never use this company again!!!
They cannot even get my name right in their correspondence and will pursue this until I get ALL the money back they have overcharged me!!
If you believe in good customer service, honest and respectable charges, and prompt responses to complaints, then DO NOT book with this chain of hotels!!
Nearly two months after my stay, I am still waiting for my money :(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Was put here for one night - not through my choice!

Firstly, it's a bit out of the way - on a sort of industrial estate - although a 25-30 minute walk will get you into the city centre. Check-in was ok. European staff spoke English well enough. I was here on a Saturday night and it was very busy. And noisy.

Lots of noise coming from other rooms but thankfully not around mine. Rooms are pretty poor. Small, dingy, poorly decorated with old, knackered furniture. Hardly any plug sockets and a crappy TV. Bathroom was even worse with tiny basin, toilet hanging off the wall and awful shower.

Guess you get what you pay for but this room was £55 for a night not including breakfast! If I'd paid £25 it wouldn't be so bad.

There's a Premier Inn just over the canal - would recommend that!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank simonp820
Essex
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Good price for a Saturday night stay. Nice view from room overlooking canal and locks.Had a meal and drinks in restaurant and had no complaints about food but the Chef wasn't exactly overworked as only three people ate all night. Unusual for a Saturday. Nothing in close vicinity to hotel. All staff helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends