“Exceptional value and very handy for the city.”

Campanile Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Co Durham
“Exceptional value and very handy for the city.”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed one night while travelling down the country to break the journey. Excellent value hotel.
Plus points - very clean; handy for city, being a 10 minute walk; although in an industrial area, hotel actually on the canal and you can watch narrow boats using the locks; free car park; room had all facilities we needed; bathroom had a bath and shower, although bath short but that wasn't really a problem; comfortable bed.
Minus points (very minor) - staff who checked us in told us breakfast was until 9.30am, and as there was a fire alarm during the night, we lost sleep and didn't get up in time, or so we thought. Turned out breakfast was until 11am as it was a bank holiday. It seemed to take a long time for the staff to discover it was a false fire alarm (someone smoking) and we waited out in the rain for a while.
Overall, highly recommend for a city break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the canal-side.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolr13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Westcountry
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Campanile Hotel is rated as a two star, and I must say it could probably be three star. It is situated immediately off and below a main ring road, so there is always the sound of traffic. It is just over a mile to the city centre. Free on-site parking. A modernish building. The hotel has conference/meeting rooms We were greeted by pleasant and helpful staff on arrival and each time we passed through reception. We were offered a choice of rooms, and chose a room on the second floor overlooking the canal. It was interesting to watch narrow boats negotiating the flight of locks from our window. The hotel also has canalside tables on the patio outside the bar/restaurant. Our room was clean and large. There were 2 chairs - so often in double rooms, there is only 1 chair - why is that? Tea & coffee, TV, soap dispensers at the sink and in the shower, and a hairdrier. The bed was big with a comfortable hypnos mattress. There were only 2 teabags and 4 sachets of coffee, but there was more in the restaurant. In the bathroom there was only one towel each - a bath towel. No hand towel. There was another towel draped over the bath, and I assume it was for the floor as you step out of the bath. An information card explained that the hotel chain supports green measures, which I would also support. That said, I would have preferred to have had a hand towel, then they needn't have replaced our bath towels the next day. The staff were so approachable, I feel sure that they would have given us a handtowel if we had asked. The only trivial inconveniences were : there were no hooks, not in the bathroom or in the bedroom. We hung our bathtowels on the backs of our chairs. And there was no bedside table or shelf. There was a narrow ledge above the bed, but not wide enough for a book. Nowhere to rest your morning cuppa in bed. The lighting was nice in the room. Bright overhead lights, or bedside lights, or a little lamp in the dressing table/desk. The TV had an inset clock. Plenty of wardrobe and cupboard space. There is free Wi Fi throughout the hotel. We ordered a continental breakfast at the time of booking, which added £2.50 pp. each morning. There is an option to upgrade to include a full cooked breakfast for another £2.50 pp. I'm glad we didn't as the continental breakfast was so good. Breakfast is spread over about 3 hours, so time for a long and leisurely meal over the newspapers that are supplied. There was fresh fruit salad in individual bowls, yoghurts, cereals, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, fruit juices, cheeses and cream cheeses, jams, marmalade, honey, meat, baguettes, crusty white and brown breads. A huge selection of teas, coffees, and hot chocolate. We didn't have the evening meal there. Most meals were average restaurant prices at about £7.99. We drove 4 or 5 miles out to a Toby Carvery. Of course, there is a huge choice of eating places in Birmingham city centre. We enjoyed looking around the markets, the Cathedral, the town squares. We loved the Museum and Art Gallery. Although it is only about a mile from the hotel, I'd advise taking the car, as we were footsore after so much sightseeing. I would (and already have done) recommend The Campanile Hotel at Aston Locks, Birmingham.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
wolverhampton
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over the weekend and I can't fault it. The hotel is located in quiet surroundings and not too far from the town centre.

Room was clean, spacious and comfortable overlooking the canal.

We didn't eat here, however we used the bar facilities and prices were reasonable.

This hotel is good value for money and we shall definately use it again when we come back to Birmingham.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ch3ryl_t
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I have used this hotel on a couple of occasions and find it good value and convenient for my business meetings in Birmingham. Not having to check out until 12:00pm is really helpful as my appointments are often at lunch time.

On both occasions that I have stayed here, several items have not been available from the restaurant menu. So on the second occasion I voted with my feet and walked around the corner to the Premier Inn to eat. I told the manager next morning and promissed to look into the matter.

I will definitely stay here again.

John

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here three years ago when my brother and I did a euro trip. This hotel was actually not bad. We really enjoyed Birmingham and this hotel was a nice place to stay. It's in a quiet environment

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jaeho S
ManagerBirmingham, General Manager at Campanile Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 July 2014

First of all, i would like to thank you for your comments

We are very concerned about the quality of all our services, and it is only through the constructive comments of our guests that we are able to maintain, and where necessary, improve our standarts for your benefits.

UK
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a hotel in the budget category and as such it does it great job. I stayed here for four days on business and the wonderful staff were so polite and helpful. There was always someone to say hello and to help with anything you needed. It is a short taxi ride from the train station.
Due to its affordability it is attractive for groups and so there were parties of various descriptions coming and going. I feel a little mean only giving a three as this place really serves its purpose if this this what you need.
We had lovely lunches catered for our event and refreshments brought up to the conference room. Teas and coffee a plenty outside the training area and pastries and cookies brought during breaks. Unfortunately the evening menu was not great as there were few options for vegetarians and I suspect that most food is reheated from frozen catering packs.
Breakfasts however were very good with lots of choice. The bread made fab toast.
I found my room a little noisy with the window open and the bathroom could perhaps do with a little bit of a cosmetic update. However I was safe, comfortable and well looked after during the duration of our stay.
The view of the canal is interesting, in spite of the graffiti. Free wifi was available. There is a large tv in the bar/restaurant and also a quieter area available.

Room Tip: Try the canal side so as to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Annie2008UK

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for a total of 3 nights on a recent trip to England. We booked one night initially the night we arrived in the country as a quick, cheap stop. We decided to travel back to Birmingham later in the trip and based on our initial experience, we couldn't bear to book any other city centre hotel as the price difference was so great. I'm on the fence as to whether to classify this as a city centre hotel. It is only a 10min walk away, but I probably wouldn't walk that on my own at night. That said, if you do stay here, and need to get a (very cheap) cab back from the city centre in the evening, you have more than saved that money in the rates here compared to even the budget chains in the city centre.
We received good service on both visits and had perfectly comfy and spacious rooms, with tea and coffee making facilities (always a bonus), a hair dryer and free parking, it had everything we needed. I can't see myself staying anywhere else on future trips to Birmingham..and I never thought I'd say that about this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple