“A decent hotel for the airport”

Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Ranked #21 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Myself and my two daughters stayed in this Travelodge on the night of 26th September as we had to catch an early flight from Birmingham airport and I found it did the job very well.

Reception
The young lady on Reception was very helpful when I checked in. The Reception Area is clean and welcoming and there is a large bar and restaurant area.

Room
The room was extremely clean, comfortable and a decent size. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room and we had an view of the airport runway. There is a bath and shower, plenty of towels but like most Travelodges, just a small bar of soap so you have to ask for extra toiletries, probably at a charge, I don't know. There is also a TV mounted on the wall with a decent number of channels.

Food and drink
We preordered dinner during our stay. The food was fine, similar to what you might get in Wetherspoons but we were hungry after travelling and it did the job. You pay £9.95 for two courses and a drink. The big complaint that I have is that it took a long time for our second course to arrive, after our first course plates were cleared (over an hour) and we had to remind staff twice about this! We got so fed up of waiting that we were about to leave when it arrived. This was not great as we had to check out of the hotel at 3am to get a flight so needed to get to bed. I felt that we very much got forgotten, staff that we reminded were too busy chatting behind the bar and the restaurant was not even that busy at the time. They stopped serving dinner at 10pm. There is a bar in the hotel, staff there were very friendly and you can take wine or drinks up to your room. I am not sure about the concept of Room Service here but I would suspect as it is a Travelodge and not a five star hotel you would have to carry things yourself back to your room, as I did with our bottle of wine.

Transfer to the airport
The Travelodge is definitely not within walking distance to the airport. I got a taxi from Birmingham International train station which cost £7. However, the transfer to the airport I found was handled very efficiently by the hotel. I prebooked a taxi when I checked in for 3am. They advised me this would cost £6, which it did. When we checked out the taxi was there waiting and he even had our room number as reference, so I felt the whole process there was very slick. I would advise prebooking when you check in. There are no problems getting transport to the airport but no shuttle bus.

Overall
This is good enough for a stay before a flight, it was cheap but very good to be honest. I just felt some of the restaurant staff could have been a bit more efficient. The room is clean and comfortable and Reception staff helped a lot. I would recommend it as an airport stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have stayed in travelogue before and we were pleasantly surprised with this one the room was basic but functional comfy bed and enough pillows staff were friendly and helpful. It is a long way from the airport and it is not possible to walk there from the airport . No shuttle bus is provided, as other reviewers have said its 12 pounds in a cab. We used the cab firm as recommended by the staff and found them good but in total it did cost 18 pounds. We did get a great rate on the room but feel some sort of transport to and from the airport should be offed as it did increase the cost. Overall a good place well maintained but do think twice if looking for an airport transfer as you will pay a lot extra.

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Clean room, great view of the runway but surprisingly no noise. Lovely pizza for tea and friendly restaurant staff. Lively hotel perfectly situated for NEC. Fun bar staff who were super helpful and friendly...especially Luke and Kerry!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was forced to stay here as other hotels were full, due to an exhibition at the NEC, a tent would have been better. The staff were very good, the problem is the concept, location and very poor quality food.

The Hotel is sandwiched between a very busy dual carriageway, and the airport, so trying to get any sleep is impossible, the road noise is very high, I was on floor 5, and got no sleep whatsoever. There is a heater in the room if you are cold but if its warm in any way, the deafening noise from the road/airport is just a joke if you have to open the window to get some air in the room..

As you enter, there is a lovely offer, you can eat in the bar, or in your Pyjamas in your room, nice idea. But after getting to my room on the 5th floor, and reading the brochure, you have to go to the bar to order the food, and then, wait for it to be cooked, so YOU can take it back to the room yourself. Imagine balancing a tray, with food and drink, trying to open doors with your electronic key, using the lift....... Whoever came up with the hair brained scheme needs sacking, honestly its just not safe.

When you get your food to the room, its very poor quality. My Steak, Mushroom and Ale Pie was inedible, the peas and chips were in some parts not cooked....

Breakfast the following day was average at best, the bacon was so thin you could almost see through it, and it was very very salty.

I travel a lot on business and based on this experience, will not be staying in a Travel Lodge ever again, I would rather stay much further away from my destination than suffer sleepless nights and poor food. Premier Inn is a much better bet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank G4UET
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear G4UET, we are really sorry to learn you found the hotel to be noisy. We try to prevent noise by having insulated walls and double glazing, unfortunately due to the location of the hotel, we cannot always prevent external noise. We do not offer room service as part of our brand standard, although we would expect the food to meet with your expectations. Our bar café staff are trained to prepare and present food to the same high standard across our hotels so it is regrettable that you did not enjoy your meals. Your comments will be passed to our Hotel Management team so they are able to address these issues and remind staff of the importance of customer care.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Like most people here we picked this airport as we had an early flight. The map suggests it's a short walk from the airport- they lie! It's on the old airport site. Black cabs from the airport cost £12. The hotel uses a private hire cab firm that costs £6 to airport, the next morning we heard the porter on the phone to them chasing up cabs saying "there are cheaper firms than you, if you can't get the cabs here we could use them" So it might be worth your while ringing round some local firms and having the numbers handy.

Staff were not very helpful, you felt like you were disturbing a conversation.

Pay a little extra and get closer to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

I've a show and a conference to attend at the NEC, budgets are tight and therefore opted for the cheapest I could find.

I was really pleased by my find.

Hotel was easy to find and an excellent road network to it. Parking was ok - I opted for the short stay next to the hotel. Both short and long stay were £7.50 for the time I was staying. If your staying longer go for the long stay.

I sadly had to que for around 15/20 minutes to check in as everyone else that was at the show turned up at the same time and I wanted a specific room (one with a runway view). I could have used one of the electronic check in desks otherwise.

Room was clean, tidy and travelodge presented. Ideal for me. I'm a larger than normal chap-the loo space was a little tight but not unacceptable.

Breakfast: lovely. No problems. The staff were professional and pleasant first thing in the morning!

Front desk staff - great and met all my needs.

I'll be back when I'm next up. Well worth it for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here as a stop over on our travels. our view from the window was that of the airport runway which was pretty cool. as long as you have the window shut you can't here the planes. the staff were friendly and the evening food was really nice.

• Stayed: September 2013