“Just ok”

Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here as had a trade show at the NEC.
The hotel does the job its built for but,It's very very under staffed I had to wait to be checked in as there was a long q and only one member of staff.
The bar list said one price but you then pay more than that as the staff don't know about the deals they do.
Rooms are small and very warm sorry will not be back

• Stayed: October 2013
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your review paul d. We expect are staff to offer an efficient service to our guests at check in. We are sorry to learn you felt this hotel was understaffed which affected the service on this occasion. We will ensure that the hotel are made aware of the feedback that you have left so our staff can be reminded of the importance of proving a quality service to all guests. Regarding the heat in the room, unfortunately we do not provide air conditioning in our hotels as a brand standard, however in an attempt to make our customer’s stay more comfortable we do offer fans. These are available from reception on first come first serve basis.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Good functional hotel and cost effective.
Rooms were very good and I slept like a log, good soundproofing.
Breakfast was OK but nothing special for £7.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Would go here again if in the area.
It's a 5 minute ride to the NEC or the airport terminal, and by taxi it is about £5 as well so no problems.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Clean, Quiet and just what we needed after getting out the airport at 2am.Lovely night staff. We booked early so it was £21 I think. Hot water, soft bed, kettle and tea and coffee in the room. Breakfast served until 10am if you want it for about £7 I think but we didn't get up in time. Checkout at 12. car Park £7.50 pay when you leave.
Would definitely stay here again if using Birmingham Airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Very surprised. Clean and well equipped room. Nice shower. Cindy bed. Very friendly helpful staff. Nice modern bar/cafe. Food was one step up from fast food but tasty...however a bit expensive. Good location to get to airport. We would use this hotel again if flying from Birmingham.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This Travelodge, although next to the control tower, is on the far side of the airport and is a 5-10 minute drive - there's now way to walk it as it's off a dual carriageway. It has an NCP car park next to it (£7.50/24hrs, though you can stay a few days and then buy a new £7.50 ticket for hotel guests which lets you exit, which means the other days are forgotten about - convenient tip!!).

The room was clean and comfy, nice bed and pillows. Bathroom small but clean, needed a bit more water pressure but all was otherwise good.

Staff - on the first night / morning, they were all excellent, chatty, helpful and nice. On the second morning, I came down and nobody said a word, the breakfast buffet had run out of sausages, bread (apart from 2 crusts) and everything was depleted, nobody seemed to be checking on anything.

So if you're there on a good day with good staff, it was very good (almost premier inn standards), but on a bad day it was a bit rubbish really.

£6 taxi to the Airport or NEC is great value (call A2B cabs from reception), and £13 to Broad Street if you want to go into town. This made it good value compared to being at a more expensive central location.

Re airport noise, I didn't really have a problem - I was on the 3rd floor on the airport side, and with the window closed, the noise wan't intrusive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Myself and my two daughters stayed in this Travelodge on the night of 26th September as we had to catch an early flight from Birmingham airport and I found it did the job very well.

Reception
The young lady on Reception was very helpful when I checked in. The Reception Area is clean and welcoming and there is a large bar and restaurant area.

Room
The room was extremely clean, comfortable and a decent size. There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room and we had an view of the airport runway. There is a bath and shower, plenty of towels but like most Travelodges, just a small bar of soap so you have to ask for extra toiletries, probably at a charge, I don't know. There is also a TV mounted on the wall with a decent number of channels.

Food and drink
We preordered dinner during our stay. The food was fine, similar to what you might get in Wetherspoons but we were hungry after travelling and it did the job. You pay £9.95 for two courses and a drink. The big complaint that I have is that it took a long time for our second course to arrive, after our first course plates were cleared (over an hour) and we had to remind staff twice about this! We got so fed up of waiting that we were about to leave when it arrived. This was not great as we had to check out of the hotel at 3am to get a flight so needed to get to bed. I felt that we very much got forgotten, staff that we reminded were too busy chatting behind the bar and the restaurant was not even that busy at the time. They stopped serving dinner at 10pm. There is a bar in the hotel, staff there were very friendly and you can take wine or drinks up to your room. I am not sure about the concept of Room Service here but I would suspect as it is a Travelodge and not a five star hotel you would have to carry things yourself back to your room, as I did with our bottle of wine.

Transfer to the airport
The Travelodge is definitely not within walking distance to the airport. I got a taxi from Birmingham International train station which cost £7. However, the transfer to the airport I found was handled very efficiently by the hotel. I prebooked a taxi when I checked in for 3am. They advised me this would cost £6, which it did. When we checked out the taxi was there waiting and he even had our room number as reference, so I felt the whole process there was very slick. I would advise prebooking when you check in. There are no problems getting transport to the airport but no shuttle bus.

Overall
This is good enough for a stay before a flight, it was cheap but very good to be honest. I just felt some of the restaurant staff could have been a bit more efficient. The room is clean and comfortable and Reception staff helped a lot. I would recommend it as an airport stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have stayed in travelogue before and we were pleasantly surprised with this one the room was basic but functional comfy bed and enough pillows staff were friendly and helpful. It is a long way from the airport and it is not possible to walk there from the airport . No shuttle bus is provided, as other reviewers have said its 12 pounds in a cab. We used the cab firm as recommended by the staff and found them good but in total it did cost 18 pounds. We did get a great rate on the room but feel some sort of transport to and from the airport should be offed as it did increase the cost. Overall a good place well maintained but do think twice if looking for an airport transfer as you will pay a lot extra.

Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#28 of 118 in Birmingham
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Travelodge Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!