“Nice hotel”

Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottinghamshire, UK
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed here for four nights on business recently. Check in was fast and friendly. I was also upgraded which was very welcome.
The hotel appears to have been recently renovated and the room was spacious, modern and comfortable. The TV was large with plenty of channels to watch. The pay movies were also good. There was a wide selection and they were reasonably priced (£5.95 for a recent film).
The bathroom was excellent. Well laid out and there was an on/off/volume switch and speaker so that you could put on a music station on the TV and listen in the bathroom. The wardrobe was plenty large enough and lit up well when opened. There was another cupboard with fold out ironing board but this idea did not work too well in practice.
My only real complaint was that when I checked in none of the various data sockets in my room worked. I reported this and they managed to get the internet socket working straight away. It took a cuple of days to get the phone working and they never got the HDMI port which would have allowed me to connect my laptop to the TV working at all.
I ate once in the hotel, in the bar. The food was average pub type quality and choice and the service was very good. I noticed though that the same foos was priced more expensively on the room service menu as well as the hotel adding a £4 tray charge! I would have eaten more in the hotel but this put me off. Breakfast was above average in quality and had the usual selection.
Check out was quick and they knocked some of my bill of when I mentioned the socket issue.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a very nice place to stay if you are in the Birmingham/Solihull area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Ryan Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear shineycarot,

Thank you for sending through the wonderful feedback, it's great to have your opinion.

I am not sure if you have plans to return, however let us know when your next in the area as we would be delighted to look after you once again!

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Ryan Yallop
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've stayed there recently attending a gadget show. Rooms were very clean, very comfortable. The whole hotel is absolutely up to standard but going to a Holiday Inn it's kind of what you expect really, so no surprise there, just a comfortable stay. The only thing that made a big difference to my stay was the reception staff, all very professional and attentive. Huge thank you to Martha, tall lady, always up front, always with a big smile and a little joke :)) Great attitude, I got the impression she's running the reception and her guys with the same dose of natural ,professional ease that she displays in front of guests. Smooth, professional, no request is too much. I left with a smile and would be happy to recommend that hotel to anybody, especially on a business or a short leisure trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear joannaasia84,

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Ryan Yallop
Front Office Manager
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

it was valentines weekend & my boyfriend and i had booked into a hotel in solihull . the accomedation my boyfriend had booked was over rated - over priced - & we most definetly wasnt happy with what we was in for. So we decided to get a full refund & take our custom else where. we tried the new premier inn, solihull they couldnt help us as it was last minute booking and all booked up . We went to the holiday inn in solihull and they was also fully booked.by this time we was fed up and beginning to think we should give up and go back home, But they helped us and had a look into other holiday inns to see if there was any rooms available. - Luckily enough the Holiday inn at the coventry road was available and the lady rang and reserved a room for us and told us to ask for another lady called Marta on the front desk and said she would look after us. So we journied to the Holiday inn thankful they could save our date night from being a disaster . Marta was at the front desk , so we explained our hopeless night so far and that we was pleased they could accomadate us. Marta was very pleasant and made us feel very welcome explaining all the facilites and made us feel at ease to relax and enjoy the weekend. If it wasnt for the holiday inn we would of went disapointed and felt our valetine weekend wasnt to its best but The overall experience and customer service made it very special. Would definetley return & recomend to other friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Excellent Hotel,, Had called earlier in the day and requested a quiet room in the renovated part of Hotel and wasn't let down.
Hotel was easy to find and parking was easy, plenty of free spaces even though there was an asian wedding taking place at the Hotel.
Check in excellent Leah was very friendly and professional and gave very good customer service.. Was allocated 2 rooms opposite each other they were very clean, tidy and lovely furnishings rooms 371/372.
Used the free shuttle to the international railway station for a trip into Birmingham on the Saturday morning, the bus driver Dave was friendly and helpful and full of information.
Food was excellent within the Hotel we ate 2 breakfast and an evening meals there and they were all very good standards,, the ommlett for breakfast was well worth ordering. All the restaurant staff we met were very nice and professional.
We used the Leisure facitities everything was very clean and you could only get into the pool with your room card, the pool, steam room and jucuzzi were all lovely and it wasn't busy at all.
Did have a noise problem the 1st night with some inconsiderate guests in the next room who had left there kids home alone,, but this was not the hotels fault and they told me if we had any problems again to call reception and they would deal with it but also let me know that the guests had checked out saturday morning. Saturday night was fine.

Room Tip: ask for quiet room, away from lifts in renovated part of hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, England
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel as such was very nice and it solved our purpose but we came across a very rude and impatient reception staff named Ryan. We were checking out but didnt have the confirmation email to say parking is free, hence showed the email confirmation but Ryan wasnt ready to refer to this and with a big sigh issued the parking ticket. he was very sarcastic and was implying that we have wasted his time when there is no one behind us waiting to be served.
also remember that the swimming is not massive and it was busy all day long but the sauna and Jacuzzi was nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
BHXAPGuestRelations, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear naveenprabhakaran,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Please accept my apologies for what has clearly been a very disappointing experience and I will share your feedback with the teams.

If you are ever back in the area please do let me know as we would love to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again as I am positive we will be able to take very good care of you and leave with you with a more positive impression.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A very nice hotel with no real complaints. The rooms were of a high standard although with need of a touch up in some places. Breakfast was delicious with a wide variety of food from cold meats to a full English. The spa was very well kept although I suggest avoiding the pool unless you want to catch hypothermia! Despite being under the flight path of the nearby airport, planes were not an issue for me. The location of the hotel is not brilliant but the free shuttle bus that runs hourly is great to get to and from the railway station.

Overall, a lovely hotel and more than what was initially expected.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be affected by plane noise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked into this hotel as we had originally stayed at the Ramada Encore in Bham and were not comfortable with it's location.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a friendly receptionist and a pleasant checking in system.

I had booked a double room but decided because of the night before events (see my previous report) upgraded to the Queen's Executive Room (£81.00). It was a really spacious room with a beautiful well stocked bathroom, mini bar but unfortunately no wi-fi.

We used all the facilities including swimming pool and steam room and sauna.

Had a peaceful night's sleep and breakfast was everything we could have hoped for which was included in our room price. It is normally £13.95 which is a bit pricey if not included in your room price.

Overall a great relaxing stay and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont forget to bring your swimming trunks!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple