“Not a pleasant stay at all”

Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ranked #56 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This hotel was once a favouite of mine but it has considerably gone down in my estimations. These are the main problems with my stay

-Room 146 was MILES from reception, underground, with an awful view. It was like the back of beyond getting to and from the room and was not pleasant.
-I booked a twin room for the night, but when I got to my room it was a double, and we had to go all the way back to reception to clarify we would be needing a twin.
-Next to our room there were clearly a group of kids or people who knew each other who were slamming their doors all night long.
- We used the pool and when we were in the jacuzzi, unsupervised children ran in with armbands and floats and were splashing all around the jacuzzi. The hotel should send people down to check this. The pool/bedroom towel situation is also poorly managed.
-We had a 'mild' Lamb Rogan Josh for dinner which was so spicy it was inedible. The manager handled this poorly and even though we couldn't eat it as it was disgustingly hot, no money was even taken off the bill even though the plates still had plenty of food on them
-Breakfast is revolting in the restaurant. Like a cattle ranch and it is very rough, it didn't have a nice Holiday Inn feeling, it was chavvy and horrible
-The flight back charges the most ridiculous prices! Really shocking for the quality of the disgusting food. We had a panini for £12 and it was soggy and had cheap cheese and a smidgen of tuna in. Really disgusting and pathetic for the price.

This hotel has really lost its appeal. We had a HORRIBLE stay and will never be returning.

-Further to this, £8.50 for the car park should be included, pathetic pricing.

Room Tip: For gods sake don't ever stop in 146
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Gracie2113,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room assignment, and behavior of other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here as I was going to see a concert at the LG Arena. Checkin was quick and reception was friendly. Got to the room only to find dirty ear plug in the drawer, jairs on the bathroom floor and in the bath and couldnt see what was on the tv due to bad reception. We were able to change the room with no problem. The second room was cleaner but the socket in the wall was hanging off which gave me an electric shock and the bed was so uncofortable you could feel the springs but we settled for the room due to the fact we wanted to go to the concert. The menu is very expensive £18 for chicken tikka. The room came with breakfast and that was very nice so four good things about this hotel the staff, breakfast, location and shuttle bus. I will not be visiting again

• Stayed: April 2013
BHXAPGuestRelations, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear nettynoo77,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Its great to hear that there were so many positive elements of your stay, however I am disapointed to hear the bad elements. The comments that you have raised will certainly be addressed to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Kind Regards
Ryan

Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

Classic holiday inn , clean , friendly , totally recommend a little pricey on the bar and restaurant , but as expected staying within throwing distance of the airport and N.E.C . Would also advise booking via booking.com as when I asked room prices at reception the price was £109 for a double room for my wife and I , but booked on line on my phone in the car park for £79 ... Bonus .

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear J B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Its great to hear that you were happy with all parts of your stay.

Look forward to seeing you in the future.

Kind Regards
Ryan

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed here for one night before a very early departure the following day. Loud music was playing outside reception, even at 6am the following morning, the receptionist checked me in without eye contact and did not swipe my credit card so I could not pay for a drink at the bar (£4.65 for a pint of lager).
However, the bar staff were very friendly and efficient, as was the receptionist who checked me out the following morning, the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was clean. I would stay again for the value and convenience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Paul S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your overall experience. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experience. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Joel B

Reviewed 20 April 2013

I really cant recommend this place. This hotel has the basic amenities. However, I have a few suggestions if you stay there. 1 - if you are going to an event at the NEC, make sure you have your key redone at the front desk upon returning each day. After three days of my key not working, and walking back to the front desk, I was told that the NEC has a security system when you walk through the front door that deactivates the hotels room keys. 2 - If you are going back to the airport from the hotel and want to be dropped off at the front door of the airport, take a cab, NOT their shuttle. I asked the front desk clerk if the shuttle went to the airport and she said YES. Well it does not. It goes to the train station where you go up the escalator, walk a bit to a train and take the 90 second ride to the general drop off location at the airport. 3 - No wireless internet in the room. Wired cost $23 USD a day. Are you kidding me?? You can get free wireless in the noisy lobby/bar area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear steve375,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed 14 April 2013

After a very long day traveling and arriving into airport at 11pm I was very keen just to get to the hotel and get a good nights sleep before flying home next morning. Reception area is nice and pretty welcoming bar.....check in experience was ok, I can not believe in the year 2013 hotel rooms have no wifi for ipad , ok if you have laptop and can plug in the wire....then when I asked if there was a bottle of water in room (I am a gold member of priority club so assumed a little extra would be given) ...was told no, mini bar could be stocked for 50 pounds deposit ..I told the, no just want water and was told to go to bar and get some!!! Not a great start...room was basic and I was surprised to get two single beds instead of double. Slept well but the hotel did not make the wake up call that I requested at 6.50am for morning flight......just by luck I had set phone on my phone or would have missed my flight!!! Not another great experience for an airport hotel!!!!! Check out I complained about call and it was just shrugged off with excuse maybe phone not working...all in all not great stay and would probably not book again!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Ryan Y, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear lollypop1874,

Dear guest,

I am sorry to read your recent comments and apologise we did not meet your expectation. I always say to our customers in order for us to resolve positively its best to contact me so I can investigate into your issues and resolve these issues for you.

I have left my details below and hope to hear from you,

Best regards,
Ryan Yallop
Front Office Manager
guestrelations@hiairport.co.uk

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed here for four nights on business recently. Check in was fast and friendly. I was also upgraded which was very welcome.
The hotel appears to have been recently renovated and the room was spacious, modern and comfortable. The TV was large with plenty of channels to watch. The pay movies were also good. There was a wide selection and they were reasonably priced (£5.95 for a recent film).
The bathroom was excellent. Well laid out and there was an on/off/volume switch and speaker so that you could put on a music station on the TV and listen in the bathroom. The wardrobe was plenty large enough and lit up well when opened. There was another cupboard with fold out ironing board but this idea did not work too well in practice.
My only real complaint was that when I checked in none of the various data sockets in my room worked. I reported this and they managed to get the internet socket working straight away. It took a cuple of days to get the phone working and they never got the HDMI port which would have allowed me to connect my laptop to the TV working at all.
I ate once in the hotel, in the bar. The food was average pub type quality and choice and the service was very good. I noticed though that the same foos was priced more expensively on the room service menu as well as the hotel adding a £4 tray charge! I would have eaten more in the hotel but this put me off. Breakfast was above average in quality and had the usual selection.
Check out was quick and they knocked some of my bill of when I mentioned the socket issue.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a very nice place to stay if you are in the Birmingham/Solihull area.

Dear shineycarot,

Thank you for sending through the wonderful feedback, it's great to have your opinion.

I am not sure if you have plans to return, however let us know when your next in the area as we would be delighted to look after you once again!

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind regards
Ryan Yallop
Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#27 of 118 in Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!