“Needs investigation for Holiday Inn status - Poor in every respect”

Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 November 2013

There is something seriously not right about this hotel and I have stayed in thousands. Arrived and found it easily at cross roads not far from NEC and Birmingham Intl rail station and airport, so good location. Parking charged at 8.50 per night for guests. I had pre booked and paid and money had left my account, 3 nights for the Classic car exhibition at NEC. Attempted to check in with front desk staff, nothing was said, a man appear from a back room to tell me my booking was "not in their system". I produced my written information and booking confirmation. He then told me he would bus me to another hotel 15 minutes away. After some assertive discussion, in which I asked him what the scam was? He suddenly found me room 316, now there is a surprise! I later discovered that he wanted to send me to the Hilton Coventry which is 15 miles away. Could it be that as I only paid 39 pounds per night via the internet and their tariff wanted 210 per night, he preferred to sell to walk in punters who had not booked? Unproven, but a theory. He then told me that 2 other of my colleagues we not booked in, I insisted they would be and he agreed.
Later I discovered they had 30 rooms over booked and a whole lot of people from Ireland got shifted, not so great for them as it meant they needed to leave at 6 am every morning if they were exhibitors at the NEC.
The room was small but clean, heating via a very noisy aircon unit, so no sleep if it was on. There also appeared to be a fan come on humming from around 4 am most mornings and early aircraft taking off. The basin sink drain was revolting with smells wafting up. Mini bar, no stock!
3 or 4 plug sockets not working, wonder when they we electrically checked?
Bar, understaffed and 15 minute wait for a drink. Restaurant packed, mixed grill looked burnt and dried out, could not be bothered to send it back as was lucky to get anything! Breakfast a help yourself style. food luke warm.
We got what we paid for as 40 pounds was all I would pay, basically they have a captive audience and could not give much care as more customers than beds. Probably worst Holiday inn I have stayed in in last 10 years. Poor, average at best.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HIBirminghamAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear JockLondon_England,

Thank you for your recent comments following your stay with us.

Firstly please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you faced upon your arrival at the hotel.

There have been several learning points from the Classic Car Show 2013 for the hotel, some of which you have raised in your review, and these will form part of our on-going action plan into 2014 to drive the customer service levels here at the hotel.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience during your stay & I do hope that this rare occurrence does not deter you from staying with us again in future where we will be able to deliver our usually high levels of service.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Nice hotel, good location, the room looked great. But the bed was awful, far too soft and we hardly slept at all. The room was also very dusty, not great for me as I am allergic to dust. The breakfast was standard buffet, no complaints, and everything else about our stay was very pleasant. I guess that if you stay in a different room with a good mattress and don't have a dust allergy then you'll be fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sue K,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us.

It is great to hear that you were happy with many elements of your stay, and please rest assured that the points you have risen which could have been improved will be worked upon with my team to ensure that this is not something that happens again in the future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

it started with unhelpful staff in reception, then when they found our booking after 40 minutes why we had drinks from the overprice bar, airport prices or what, wanted to charge us £59 each, we'd booked double room which was £59 + £10 ea for breakfast, only 1 light of 3 worked, pubic hair everywhere, cobwebs, took photos, very noisy aircon from main building, our aircon didn't work, stuffy dirty room, we got moved as we couldn't sleep due to noise, didn't get to sleep due to being stressed out from everything to do with this place, breakfast was poor, cheap sausages, rubber eggs, cold coffee, when we checked out they couldn't find us yet again, then tried to charge us for the other room that they had moved us to, & wanted to charge us £2 each more for breakfast, breakfast being £10, or 17.95 if you pay on the day, rip off, I sent emails to holiday inn which they thanked me for my candid review, little or no interest, just fobbed off, if you would of paided as you leave I would not of paided, stick to premier inn or travel lodge, they seem to care

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian S

Dear Brian S,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

Comments of this nature are taken very seriously by the hotel. Customer Satisfaction is our main goal here at the hotel. With this in mind I will be raising all of your comments with my relevant department heads to ensure that training and development takes place within the team to ensure that this is not something that happens again in the future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The marks I have given are for all the other staff and facilities , but not the breakfast staff 3 for breakfast Saturday tables dirty, no plate, no spoon, no coffee, three staff and a supervisor.
Two female waitresses sauntered around the restaurant , while the supervisor rushed around trying to clean up, que for coffee non stop due to only one coffee container, supervisor brings in three plates what was the point, and will some one teach the chef to cook scrabbled eggs as I don't believe that these were made with eggs(pale mush strange vile taste) eat out lovely fresh breakfast next day at the airport.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Kayak50,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

It was sad to read that your breakfast experience with us was not what you had expected. The comments you have raised have been addressed with my Food & Beverage Operations Manager to ensure that further instances of this doe not happen again in future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

we stayed in a Queens executive suite the room was quite nice but the curtains dont close leaving a four inch gap in the middle so let in the light. The hospitality tray was very poor . Marstons,innkeepers and wetherlodges are all better. There is a Crown Plaza hotel very near this hotel and you will get a better service and reception than at this hotel

Room Tip: avoid a upgrade
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear shep-pc,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with the room. The comments you have raised on your curtains and hospitality tray will form part of the next review of bedrooms that takes place early 2014.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I would look forward to you staying with us again in future to see our improved standards.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

On arrival took ages to check in due to lack of staff. My room smelt of stale smoke and was very cold. The duvet on my bed was so thin i was freezing and there was only a very thin extra blanket. My lights by the bed did not work so couldn't read before going to sleep. Having said this the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was very good. The room rate was 210 pounds which I thought was totally over the top for a mediocre hotel

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Maddiesmum21,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

It is sad to hear your comments following your stay. The points your have risen with regards your bedroom & staffing levels have been added to our on-going development review. This will aid us in driving the hotel forward into 2014.

Once again I thank you for your valued comments and do hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us again in future to experience our usually high standards.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here as had a early morning flight never again
Only booked this as the premier inn was fully booked
Staff we're not very pleasant the room was ok but very overpriced in the bar area
When we asked the bar man if they were doing food he replied in such a manner no please thank you nothing
Never stay here again

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Richard S,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

The comments you have raised are not something which we drive for here at the hotel and have been addressed with the relevant departments to ensure that they do not arise again.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in future to showcase our usually high standards.