“needs some TLC”

Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“needs some TLC”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

1st impressions not good, all doors and door frames are very tired, dirty looking and in need of either painting or better still replacing, this gives a very poor impression. Reception staff pleasant and helpful but over worked at peak check in check out times when you could wait 10 - 15 mins.
Room - ok. For once I was not too hot. If you like your room hotter than me, there was a small plug in radiator to warm it further, seemed a good compromise to me. Bed reasonably comfortable. Steady background rumble / hum which was disturbing (room 314) but not quite enough for me to go and complain and get moved, still not sure what it was from but it was "internal" to the hotel not the airfield. No free wi fi although there is a "connection" which you get charged for. It is also worth noting that you get charged for parking which seemed a bit tight given the price of the hotel.
Pleaseantly suprised by lack of airport noise - double glazing must have been working well.
Breakfast good. Kettle lead needs changing as it had to be "jiggled" and held to keep power on!
Other meals - very poor, we eat in on first night and drove down to Solihull on the second. Colleague had burger - vastly overpriced and not much better than McDonalds. I had fish cake as starter - bit of limp lettuce and an small cish cake that had spent far too long in the deep fat frier. I then had a Caesar Salad which again was very dissapointing - lettuce, dressing a couple of croutons and some dry chicken - when challenged, I was brought pot of grated parmesan cheese but noticed as walking out that another person's portion was still missing this key component!
Pool was nice and small gym was good
Overall, OK as long as you do not expect too much. Do not "eat in" and as a bottom line, I hope no one ever pays full price for this hotel as they will be seriously disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HIBirminghamAirport, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear howard_keith2,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel and for your thorough feedback. We really appreciate this as it gives us an opportunity to address issues that may occur in the hotel.

Firstly I have passed your comments on regarding the doors, door frames, kettle leads and the noise outside your room to our maintenance department to investigate and resolve. I am really pleased to hear that you felt our reception staff to be friendly and I will pass this onto the Front of House manager. On the other hand your wait at reception is disappointing. On peak check-in times we can get really busy if everyone arrives at the same time. We are try our best to staff appropriately for this but with 239 rooms sometimes a queue is unavoidable. We are, however reviewing the front of house staffing structure to try and speed up these particularly busy periods.

We do offer free wifi, this is available in the public areas. You need to select the option "24 hours free" in order to use this. In the bedrooms we provide wired internet and this is chargeable. We do charge for parking, which at £8.50 for overnight, this charge is very competitive for an airport hotel.

As for your meal in the restaurant, I regret that you did not experience a very good level of service. I have passed your feedback from this on to our restaurant manager to investigate. Again I am very sorry for this.

On the other hand, I am pleased that you were happy with your bed as well as the pool and gym areas.

Overall, I am very sorry that your trip was below expectations and that we failed to deliver on service. I am confident that the service you received, particularly in the restaurant was below our normal standards. Thank you again for your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to resolve a number of these issues.

Head of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

we stayed here for one night on the 23rd November, room was outdated and bed was no better than sleeping on the floor. no parking for paying guests as a party for kids seemed to have taken over. management had a couldn't careless attitude and even more so when party music went on past 11pm. Very loud music, was prepared to hear planes but never heard one all night, yet again the staff were unhelpful to the point of being rude !!!! have stayed in many places but this rates as the worst !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't book here !
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear dreamer5490,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your overall stay. With regards to your bedroom I would be grateful if you could email me your room number as I would like to ask housekeeping to look at your mattress and see if we can replace this? Could you please email me at katy.barnes@hiairport.co.uk, All guests attending the children's party were paying guests as well and we try to treat all our customers equally. We provide 150 on site parking spaces and we operate a first come first serve policy. then when this is full we then ask people to park at the multi-storey car park next door to the hotel. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this would have caused you.

We have a handful of rooms that overlook the main banqueting suite and we aim to allocate these rooms to party attendees. If we are full however, it is not always possible to find out who is attending the party if booked separately and therefore it is difficult for us to guarantee this. If you stay with us again please feel free to request a room away for our function suite. and we will do our best to allocate this for you.

I am very sorry to hear your comments regarding rude customer service. I have passed this on to our manager to investigate further on the date in question. We always aim to deliver exceptional customer service so I am disappointed to hear that this was not your experience of your stay.

I hope that you would be willing to come back to the hotel again to see that rude service and noise is not our normal standards and that we can change your opinion of our hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding your room number and mattress.

Head of Sales

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on business. On arrival we queued to check-in, not a good start. Then we were advised they had no water, although they did not seem too bothered by this fact.

The rooms were tired and in desperate need of refurbishment.

There was no wi-Fi in the rooms, which these days is a bit behind the times.

The rooms were small and basic and not particularly cheap.

The breakfast in the morning was completely DIY and a bit like a cattle market.

Not somewhere I would rush back to.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear CruisingBrian,

Thank you for recently taking the time to review your experience at our hotel.

I am assuming that you stayed with us on Tuesday 26th November based on your comments. We did indeed have an issue with our water and this was unfortunately out of our hands. This led to our 3rd receptionist having to leave the desk to sort out this issue. We are really sorry for the inconvenience this caused you both with regards to the water and the check-in queue.

As for our bedrooms we are planning to carry out some refurbishment on our standard rooms in the new year. Unfortunately we do not have wifi in our bedrooms however, we do provide wired internet in the bedrooms as well as complimentary wifi in our public areas.

I am sorry to hear your thoughts on breakfast. We do offer a buffet service however, please be advised that you can order drinks as well as additional food items, to your table through one of our waiting staff.

I am sorry to hear that you won't be rushing back to us. The problems with check in and the water were very much a one-off incident and I hope that you would consider returning to us so that we can show you that this is not our normal standard of service. I look forward to hopefully having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

First and last time I will book in this one. Food is too expensive for the hotel and choice is limited. Breakfast quite decent but it is extremelly cold inside: heating system in reception and bar......non existing. Room was just enough but really limited quality

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Canelis,

Thank you for your recent feedback on the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you feel our restaurant prices are too high. We do regularly review our market place and believe that we are reasonably competitively priced. however, as a result of recent guest feedback on this matter we have now decided to offer some winter deals in the restaurant. We will trial these over the coming weeks at cheaper prices to gauge guest feedback and potentially implement this long term. We do value our guests' opinions and appreciate you taking the time to bring your issues to our attention.

We do have a heating system in the hotel bar and restaurant, however, with automatic doors this temperature can often drop. We have however, discussed this in our daily meeting and it has come to our attention that if two sets of doors in the hotel are closed, this would be resolved. Consequently all duty managers have been informed of this and this will now be actioned to prevent this.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt that the bedroom quality was limited. We do adhere to brand standards however we are also looking to carry out some refurbishment work in the new year on our standard bedrooms.

I would like to thank you again for taking the time to leave us your comments.

Many thanks,

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Firstly this hotel is clean and they provided my friend with a phone charger but they were the only good things about it, so unfortunately I will continue with the negatives. When we arrived at the airport we waited for our holiday inn shuttle, after quite a while of standing in the cold I went into the airport information desk, where they informed me the Holiday Inn shuttle doesn't run between 1pm-3pm. I said this at the hotel, where she confirmed that it doesn't run during those times, despite the website saying a shuttle runs every hour between 11am-4pm. When I said we had to get a taxi and the website were false advertising she replied 'oh', seriously?! We arrived at 1.30pm and didn't mind that our room wasn't ready as we knew we were early but it then took reception 15 minutes to check us in, for a hotel chain that boasts of a 60 second check in this was ridiculous, and not once was an apology made. It us advertised that it is less than a mile from the NEC but there is no possible way to walk there, it still means getting a taxi. Upon returning from our event we went to eat in the restaurant. As there is no where near the hotel this is where you have to dine if you are without transport, the prices are extortionate, the food was mediocre at best and the service got progressively worse as the night went on. The following day we were leaving and we were at reception for 11.50. We asked about the shuttle bus, to which the receptionist looked out the door and said 'the 12pm must be gone, the next one is at 1'. I walked outside just incase (an hour is a big difference when it comes to flights!) and the driver was standing outside thankfully, but had I taken the receptionists word I would have ordered a taxi. Overall a disaster, ours was a last minute booking, but in future we will not be saying in any holiday inn.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Aktdm,

Thank you for your recent review and I am very sorry that your experience with us was below expectations. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience cause by the shuttle bus times. The times on our website were correct however due to a technical errors were changed. The website is now correct and thank you for your feedback. We are planning to implement a new website so the information is clearer and more helpful for all of our guests. We regret any inconvenience caused by the delay at check in we currently have a few new colleagues who are currently in training however I will pass your feedback onto the Front office manager to investigate. Our website does advertise that the NEC is 1 mile away however it does not state that you can walk to the NEC. I appreciate your feedback regarding the prices in our restaurant at the moment we are trialling some deals to gauge guest feedback. I sincerely apologise about the lack of communication regarding the shuttle bus departure I will pass this on to the Front office manager to be investigated. Your comments are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Many thanks again for your comments.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I spent four nights at this hotel (room 237) along with quite a few other guests. The room I stayed in was nice and warm, clean and tidy. The bath and shower on-suit was fantastic and clean, and the bed was probably one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. That's all on the plus side, however now for the negatives. After having spoken to some of my colleagues it was quite obvious that I was in one of the more modernised rooms. I had a quick look at the rooms on the other side of the hotel and I have to say they could do with modernising to the standard of the room I stayed in. I found the restaurant service quite frankly ridiculous. Our table ordered steaks that took almost an hour to arrive. I had to ask for drinks that I ordered on two occasions, and the condiments that we ordered never turn up. I did mention this to the guy on the till to see if things would change. The following night I invited my family up for a meal. Again, no condiments, the meal was very good, however when our sweets arrived mine didn't. I had to go and ask where it was but was told the chef's had already gone home and was offered a drink instead. The cooked breakfast was cold every single morning despite mentioning this to the chef. This could so easily be solved simply by putting a plate warmer in reach of the customers. So I have to say on this occasion I feel the service severely tarnished the whole experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the more modern room in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sean M,

Thank you for your recent review. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. I am pleased that you liked the room you were in. We do have a more modern block of the hotel and we are planning a refurbishment project for next year to bring our other rooms more in line with these rooms therefore your comments are greatly appreciated.

As for your meal I am very disappointed to hear of the experience that you had on both nights. Firstly, it is unacceptable that you had to wait one hour for your steaks, as well as chase your drinks and the condiments. I have passed this feedback on to our food and beverage manager to investigate and ask him to review with his team as this should not happen on any occasion. On the second night I am appalled to hear that you were offered a drink as a replacement for your dessert as this simply isn't good enough. I am disappointed to hear that breakfast was cold, this is also something that should not be happening. Again, I have passed these comments on and this will be investigated seriously. If you wouldn't mind emailing me the dates of your stay and in particular your meal, this would allow us to investigate the night in question. Could you please send this to me on katy.barnes@hiairport.co.uk?

I would like to thank you for informing us of these problems and allowing us to address these issues in order to prevent this happening again. I would also hope that you will return to us again at some point to see that this is truly not our normal level of customer service and that we normally do provide a very high service of customer care.

Again I am sorry for your experience and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here on 24-25th nov, for a trip to Birmingham for my mothers birthday! The whole trip was ruined because of this hotel. We arrived and checked in ok, 2 out of 3 rooms were not great clean but not very good. We left at 5pm to go eat out, when we returned 2 hrs later no parking spaces. This was due to a party going on in the function room of the hotel. The car park was chaos and cars dumped all over!! We went in and asked reception where to park as we were guests, which we were told to park in the overspill. Which was not suitable as we had small to children to put to bed! The party guests should be made to park in the overspill and hotel guest left to park in the main car park I feel! The executive manager was not very helpful or considerate of this issue and was actually very rude! As if this was not enough there was ridiculously loud music being played till at least 11pm from the function room, which made the windows vibrate. The only noise I expected to hear was airplanes, which I heard none. Considering the party was for children the music was extremely loud and got even louder at 10pm. Worst hotel ever, staff were not helpful, rooms not great, WASTE OF MONEY!!

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jenjames13,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with you recent stay at the hotel. We treat all our guests equally whether they are staying overnight or attending a function therefore we cannot prioritise the parking spaces. We have 150 parking spaces onsite and the overspill car park is designed to act as secondary car park therefore we cannot send people there until our car park is full. We therefore operate a first come first serve policy. I do appreciate that with young children this is not ideal but we do have a drop off point to try and help with this situation. Again I apologise for the inconvenience that this caused you.

Equally I am very saddened to hear that you felt our executive manager did not appreciate your situation. I have forwarded these comments on to be addressed.

When we have a function on and we are full we aim to check the party attendees in to the rooms closest to the function room. I am sorry that it appears on this occasion this did not happen and again I will communicate with reception on this to ensure this is being enforced.

I do regret that your stay with us fell below your expectations and I appreciate your feedback on this as it helps us to review our service and procedures. Thank you for taking the time to provide this to us and I assure you that this will be looked in to.