“DON'T BOTHER BOOKING HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport

Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“DON'T BOTHER BOOKING HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I never actually got around to staying here, I booked through booking.com and had to put my cc number down for a guarantee however it clearly states your card will not be charged. I then cancelled and booked premier inn as it seems to be a better hotel than here. There is supposedly no charge for cancelling 24hrs before (and we weren't due to stay until sept). Had a credit card statement arrive and turns out holiday inn have charged me for the room. Upon ringing the hotel i was transferred between 4 different people before i eventually got put through to accounts. 1st they claimed they could not find any booking details, then they found it and told me they would have to get the manager to ring me (which i am still waiting for). the girl on the phone was extremely rude when i asked why it had been charged in the 1st place and started muttering under her breath. all in all do not even risk booking a non pre-paid room as they will still take money from you when they shouldn'b be doing!!! it's disgusting that a company who have a good reputation worldwide are damaging themselves with properties like this.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Stoney82, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 26 July 2010
Thank you for your comments, we are obviously shocked and dissappointed to here of the incidents you found when booking a room at our hotel. I can assure you that we do take these issues seriously and all mentioned have now been looked into and are fully resolved.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

The positive was the gym was very good but that is about it. I have been a Priority Platinum members for years so have experienced many Holiday Inn hotels and this rates as one of the worse. It was clean but that should be expected so no extra credit given here. I only tried using the bar once but there was no staff there. The room was small and dated, e.g. no flat screen tv and very limited channel choice, the room keys kept failing so had to be re-set which was inconvienient but the worse thing was extremely soft beds which really effected both mine and my wife's backs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for your comments as we now are looking into all the issues you have commented.
As we have just undergone a £18 million refurbishement all your experiences will not arise as all the areas have been subject to close scrutiny.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel over 3 years, I was worried that with the other reviews previous, what was I going into, how wrong they were it was good no it was better than good, I arrived with that welcome smile from the Male receptionist, we checked in and they as usual asked for the credit/debit card I knew what that was for, we were given our key card and was told where our room was , they also advised that with the Football on the Flight Bar would be busy and therefore advised me that the restaurant was available, we opted for the Flight Bar it was not that bad when after showering and resting that we found the Bar was busy but we found a table, we ordered from the menu and within 10 minutes the food was set down to us.

Our room was situated on the 3rd Floor - room 320 which was at the back overlooking the private airport hangers- not a sound came from there although when you opened the window you heard the sound of the aircraft engines, a good room for any Aircraft Spottersour room was immaculate just as we expected from the Holiday Inn we did not find any knickers or anything unusual in the room , it was cleaned everyday, clean towels if required, the only problem we had we could not contact the hotel when we arrived at the Train station for the courtesy mini bus to take us back to the hotel as the hotels phone was down for the duration of our stay.
Check out was the same as checking in with that smile, we found everyone friendly especially the older lady in the break fast room (sorry for using OLDER) , this person came over every morning and asked if everything was ok , I had my hands on head , elbows on the table and she came running over thinking that I was unwell honest I was thinking. We visited the pool and gym but did not use it, there was nothing lying about everything was cleared away there was no DUST as the previous moaners stated.

THANK YOU HOLIDAY INN COVENTRY ROAD FOR MAKING OUR WEEKEND GREAT AS THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME MY WIFE HAD STAYED AT THE HOTEL. pity Virgin Trains could not have taken a leaf out of your book - with your CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
LEEDS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

Stayed in April for 3 nights whilst attending an exhibition at the NEC. Booked colleagues in as well using my priority club membership. We all checked in using our credit cards, mine an Amex ending 1004. All settled our bills on departure.
Checking my credit card statements found a charge 3 weeks after staying at the hotel on another Amex ending 3001 for £289, my bill was for over £300, so nothing to do with my stay. This card was last used at this hotel 3 years ago!
Many phone calls with promises of 'will phone you back' - guess what never happened! Only when I sent them an email, coping in West Midlands Police did I get the amount credited, never given a reason, got an 'apology' but no explanation from a secretary to the GM.
Check your statements after staying there, not saying they are running a scam, but looks mighty dodgy that an unrelated charge comes through 3 weeks later, perhaps they thought it was a corporate card and would not get picked up.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

I attended a conference at the NEC over two days and booked to stay at the Holiday Inn as it was a good price when booked in advance. Wish I would have booked somewhere else as I was very disappointed from the moment I checked in to when I left.
When checking in, there was no interaction from the receptionist like asking how my day was or what the purpose of my stay was, she could hardly manage to check me in. There was no mention of what facilities the hotel had like restaurants or leisure facilities. I had to ask her if the way to my room as she just gave me my key and got me to sign the bit of paper and left me to it, even thou there was no other guests checking in.
When entering the room initial impressions were that it was clean, but on closer inspection it had only been cleaned to minimum standards. There was stains on the carpet, empty sugar packet on the floor and all the picture frames and ledges had thick dust on them. When looking out of the window, there were covered in thick dirty from where building work has taking place outside. More worryingly there were empty pallets, buckets and other object laying all over the paths close to the fire exits.
Would not recommend or stay at this hotel as the staff are not friendly or helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank oaks777
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Checked in as a Platinum Priority Member; the recpetionist had no idea what that was and had to look on the internet to find out; so Check in took a very long time.

Was on a dinner/breakfast package; but was charged for dinner and took an hour to argue the bill; once they realised their error then insisited we went over the budget (which was never mentioned) do charged us £25; and still no apology for intial full charge.

Hotel has just had a major refurb; however many things unfinished and dirt everywhere..

Bottom line is better places to stay in the same area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

Im glad we ignored the bad reports,our stay was fine.Our room was clean and modern and the staff were fine.We booked the shuttle bus which was £2 per room to the LG arena which took about 5 minutes and got a taxi back to the hotel which was £6.The bar and bar staff were ok and the prices about right for a hotel.The buffet breakfast in the morning was above average,overall our stay was good say 8/10.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!