“Hot Hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Hot Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed at the holiday Onn Express at the NEC in Birmingham for two nights, got a good deal at 88 and the hotel was nice, clean and presentable.. Staff- well, ok i guess..bit robotic but they did what they wqere paid to do. cant say they went over and beyond especially when we had a slight issue when checking in (they had taken payment before we arrived so when i tried to pay my card was refused then they realised after about half an hour panic that it was their mistake!!!).

you dont need any form of blankets here..the heating was on full, we couldnt adjust it...many trips taken to the outside area jsut to cool down!!

Al in all we cant complain for our deal. but maybe just turn the heating down a notch!¬ carbon footprint n all that! ;)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lisaequi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

You normally stay with a hotel chain becasue you know what to expect at at any unit in the family chain. This HI-XP fails to live up to the family norm.

I must say the service I reecived from the front desk when I checked in was absolutely wonderful. Naomi was kind, cheerful and went above and beyond helping me. Then I went to my room....

Drab, dingy with an odd decor. During one of the coldest periods in recent history the room was icy and it took me 10 minutes to located the heater and thermostat. It was an odd wall unit that really did not heat the room. Then I went on the internet...

5.5 Mbps for 15 Pounds for 24 hours. I didn't know you would have to pay for a connection that slow. Then I went to bed...

The bed was decent, but it felt short sheeted. The comforter was thin (remember the heater did not heat well) and barealy cam up to my chest. I am not a tall man so when the comforter failed to provide comfort I put on a t-shirt and tried to sleep the best I could. Then I woke up...

I decided to get breakfast. HI-XP normally has decent eggs, ham or sausage adn coffee. Can you really mess that up... Eggs cold and bland but, the sausage was quite good, but no carry out cups for coffee to take to work. Then I got back fro mwork and wanted dinner...

Dinnner? You mean bar food. With no restaurants nearby in walking distance hotel bar food was the only option.

I know I may sound picky. The hotel was functional and in good repair. They had pretty much everything you would need, but except for the front desk service nothing was really good.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

My heart belongs to Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I don't understand some reviewers. I know everything is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion and each opinion is based on a multitude of different factors that affect it, but I can't believe some of the minor points that seem to massively affect some people's reviews. I mean, you wouldn't give a hotel a five star rating because your shower head was spotlessly clean would you? I seem to think that some folk go round looking for things like this. On the other hand, if I'd paid excessive amounts for a room, I guess I would be expecting excessively good service. Anyways, on to my review of this place and the reasons behind my scoring!

This hotel was very much a last minute thing. We hadn't expected to have a pre-holiday, overnight stay prior to flying to Lanzarote, it's easy enough to drive down the M1 and M42 from Yorkshire to Birmingham on the day of the flight. However, an email from Holiday Extras, telling us that we could add a hotel to our already booked airport parking for £29 piqued our interest so we looked into it. After a bit of messing about with the website address (the URL was wrong) and a couple of unhelpful phone calls to Holiday Extras (don't you hate it when people don't ring back like they say they're going to?) I eventually managed to hack through to the appropriate booking site. Me and the missus looked at the hotel website and some reviews on here, decided that for the price we couldn't really turn it down and booked it, on the understanding that it might be a bit rubbish, especially the breakfast, which had appeared to really upset a few reviewers.

How wrong could we have been? After a very pleasant drive down to Birmingham (gotta love that cruise control) we arrived less than an hour and a half after leaving home at a large, clean, modern hotel building and were met, in an equally clean and shiny reception with one of the happiest receptionists I've ever met. After a simple check-in we went to our room. Again, trepidation following some of the previous reviews on here, but it was unnecessary as we found a large, clean, comfortable and well appointed room with a sofa as well. The bed was comfy, and it would have taken the most eagle eyed critic to have spotted the mildewy marks on the shower head and tray seal. Honestly people, this is a shower area, these things do get a bit of abuse and pristine is hardly to be expected eh? I've stayed in far grander and thought it a lot grottier.

After a bit of a relax and a gaining of bearings, we ventured out, all of 50 yards to the Little Owl pub next door. We'd heard good and bad, and I'll do a separate review, but suffice to say we had a few drinks and a very nice meal in a busy and very pleasant atmosphere. Service was quick and staff were pleasant. I was disappointed not to meet the rudest waitress in the world, but I didn't let it spoil my experience.

The only minor issue we had was our sleep being disturbed by noise from the bar, however, we were in the room closest to it, and it was hardly the hotels fault that the car show at the NEC was being attended by loud and boorish buffoons, and to be honest, we were only disturbed for a short while after midnight. After this I think people dissipated and I heard nothing more until the morning.

As I said, very comfy bed, so woke very refreshed and went for breakfast. Yes it's limited, yes the dining room is like something out of Soviet Russia, but the food was good and very filling. I can't believe the complaints on here about the quality of the coffee and juice. What are people expecting, Douwe Egberts and Del Monte? Yes it was probably powdered egg, yes they were cheap sausages, but the toast was plentiful, the pastries were hot and delicious, and again, for what we paid, it was more than adequate. We were so full we didn't eat again until about 5pm on the plane!

Free neswpaper read, bit of case reorganising and a simple checkout, where same happiest receptionist in the world paid for our car parking (£7? Pah, ask at reception, they activate the card for you to exit the car park) and we were off to the airport. We both agreed it had to rank as the most relaxed start to a holiday we've ever had.

£29? Bargain!

Room Tip: Next time I'd probably request a room as far from the entrance/bar as possible, but it's a m...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carlosthejackal666
MJT123, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments, I was pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay.

I would like to appologise that you stay was disturbed by noise from the bar, we do try to ensure that the volume from the bar area is controlled. I will pass on your positive comments regarding our staff, to the team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Lisboa, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I could hear all from other rooms (this includes the tv programme or the snorring...).
Confused relation between reception and bar, bad food (good there is a restaurante nearby). Selection of soft from hard pillows... couldn't tell the difference. Cold rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for commenting on your stay, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel.

I apologise for any disturbance your fellow guests made to your stay, our team are trained to handle such situations, when they are aware or they are reported to reception. We now offer a bar menu, which has received positive responses so far. I am unable to respond to your comment on this service without additional information.

Our bedrooms are equipped with heaters controlled by inserting your key card in to the power box on entering the room, guests then have the ability to set the temperature as they require, this should have been explained to you on check in.

I do hope that if your travel plans bring you to the area in the future, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and to restore your faith in our hotel
Sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

A business partner and I needed a reasonably priced hotel for a visit to the NEC. The Hioliday Inn Express was well located, offering a shuttle service to and from both the NEC and the Train station. Add that to a reasonable room rate and it rendered it ideal. The hotel has an open plan lounge / bar / reception / restaurant which may not be to everyones taste. The check in was straight forward with no issues. The rooms, like all budget - mid range hotels, were fairly basic. This trip was a stop over and for what I wanted the room was more than adequate. Perhaps if I was there for a few nights over a romantic weekend then it may have been a little too basic but for the time spent awake in the room (very little) it was fine. Some mould around the shower tray betrayed the otherwise clean room.

What made this hotel note worthy were the staff. From check in to collecting our luggage the following afternoon they were all cheeful and efficient. The bar staff recommended the meals we had which turned out to be tastey. One late night barman who was busy with a large influx of people commented on how he prefered it busy and would serve as long as it was required. It's not always that you see a positive worth ethic like that!

If there is an achilies heel for this budget hotel it's the breakfast. It's adequate but nothing special. The morning we were there they ran out of clean plates and I wandered around the buffet area like a lost dog wondering if I'd just "lost" the location of the plates!

Good points....cheapish, good service, clean adequate and comfotable rooms.

Bad points... Breakfast isnt a joy but it does the job. Perhaps not for a cozy weekend with the Mrs.

In summary, I'd use this hotel again if needed without any second thoughts. The staff make this establishment worth patronising.

Room Tip: Balance cost with product and it represents good value.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TonyLonsdale
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay.

I am very pleased to read that our team were able to provide a high standard of service to you during your stay; we are continually looking to improve the customer service we provide to all our guests. I am also looking at ways to improve our complimentary breakfast service, and appreciate your comments.

I do hope, should your travel arrangements bring you to the area in the future that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at the Holiday inn Fri 30th Jan for 2 nights, check in was good, room was good, staff were helpful, have not really got any qualms regarding this hotel, there was a lovely pub next door, staff were lovely, didnt eat in here but very homely place, drinks were a little expensive but there you go! We went into Coleshill for a meal at the harvester which was awful so wouldnt recommend this place, down the hill over the bridge - dont go!
All in all a very nice stay, the hotel provides a bus to the train station which is free and very reliable.
Breakfast was perfect, cereals, fruit,yoghurt, even sausage and scrambled egg which was all very nice indeed. As much as you wanted and as much toast, tea and coffee, you could watch Sky News whilst eating breakfast which was good.
We asked about the bus with reception and she was very helpful, room was ok for what we needed, there was a double bed and a double camp bed which served our needs, Nice tea and coffee in room, and hot power shower, plenty of clean towels and good working tv. we stayed over New Yrs eve and was a little noisy but what do you expect on New Yrs Eve.
Everything was catered for what we needed and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a better view than a roof if required
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC.

I will be happy to pass on your kind comments to the team, regarding the service that they provided during your stay. We are always looking to improve the service we provide and positive feedback is always welcome.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We recently stayed in this hotel which is on the NEC ring road. Very comfortable and modern with helpful staff. No noise issues despite being close to the airport. Parking is £7. The Little Owl pub is also on the same site which is very convenient.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, we hope to welcome you bakc to the hotel in the near future.