“Standard Business type hotel, WSYWYG”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Spent 5 nights there for the Birmingham 2013 Spring Fair, Jewelry show. I had read the reviews about the hotel before going there and putting aside some of the more subjective comments I can confirm the rest.
Situation: Spitting distance from the NEC but if you don't have a car, which was my case its £7,20 to/from the airport and £5 to £7.50, depending on the cab company, to/from the NEC, the private mini-cabs (AAA) being the best positioned and don't think of walking, you'd get run over at the first roundabout
The Hotel. Not easy to say how many stars this hotel has without looking at the brochure, an over sized 2 Star?
The reception. Check in/check out was quick and efficient and generally with a smile
The room. Clean with double bed, 2 good points! Tea/coffee facilities another good point, the view from the window overlooking the back and the dustbins... at least close the lids on the dustbins and close the door of the dustbin area, please.
The bathroom. Can't see why people complain about there not being a bath, if most of the visitors are business travelers like me they don't have time to lounge in a bath, prefer to do that at home. More important is that there's very hot water and ample fresh towels, changed everyday... No complimentary products though :(
...so far so good, now for the food and Breakfast
Evening meals.
First evening I followed the reviews I read and made a beeline for the "Little Owl" pub complex next door for dinner. Had a so-so nice-ish meal. Went the following evening it was packed and was told I had to wait for an hour and a half so I went back to the hotel and waited "Just" 50 minutes for a curry. The following evening I skipped going to the pub (shame) and tried my luck with the food in the hotel in the end I learnt that if you go early enough the wait is only about 15 or 20 minutes. Moral of the story. If you don't have transport you're stuck !
(poor lad at the hotel bar counter seemed to be perpetually apologizing for the long wait for the food!)
Breakfast. OK so its complementary but I've eaten a fair amount of "Complementary" breakfasts in a variety of 3 star chain Hotels around the world but even the more nondescript ones manage to put some regional specialties on the buffet...whatever... I came prepared so I wasn't disappointed... sausages, baked beans, (re-hydrated) scrambled eggs (the same the world over) and bacon, straight forward plain substance to tie you over till lunch.
Conclusion. Busy hotel, ideal for the NEC, ideal for a business stopover…

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the dustbins
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, your feedback is important and assists us in improving our service. We are currently reviewing our dinner offering and plan to implement a new menu within 8 weeks; I will ensure that our Food and Beverage team are fully trained to deliver an efficient and welcome service to all our guests. I hope that you will visit us again in the future should your travel plans bring you back to the area. Once again thank you for your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed 1 night and paid over £130 for a room, room clean but felt small, no bath just a shower in my room.

Breakfast pretty poor with bacon, sausage, beans and scrambled egg the hot choice.

Customer service from staff mixed, lovely on check in and check out. I did however leave something in my room and called to see if it had been handed in by housekeeping, I had to ring back 2 days later. By chance I was passing on my way back north 3 days later so decided to go in person to try again, staff not interested at all just saying no without making an effort to really help.

• Stayed: January 2013
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel, I was pleased to read that our Reception team were welcoming, however disappointed that our complimentary breakfast did not meet with your approval; we recently added bacon to our hot offering and continue to look at ways to improve our breakfast buffet. Should you wish to contact me directly regarding your lost property, I will endeavour to investigate this matter further.

Once again thank you for your feedback, as this assists us in improving our service and product. I hope that you will choose to book with us again should your travel plans bring you to the area.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

This is a current review as i'm still staying at the hotel till Wednesday 23rd January. Booked in at the hotel which was painless and easy, extended my stay by a day also painless and easy. My room is nice and clean, a little noisy but totally acceptable.

This is where it ends i'm afraid, The first night i ordered a standard burger and chips which arrived cold and without any sauces or cutlery !! The second night i ordered a curry at 19h43 and it arrived at my table at exactly 20h53 !! 1 hour and 10 min to receive my dinner !! i complainer to the duty Manager who apologised and blamed the snow for the delay of the food !!! she told me she would take this off my bill which is all well and fine but not the reason i complained .... If they had only told me from the start that the food would be late it would have been acceptable but they even after i returned to my seat were taking orders without telling the residents their was a problem ... Tonight is the third night and i decided to eat at the pub next door as i was not taking any further chances !!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
MJT123, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I am pleased to read that your arrival was dealt with efficiently and your room was satisfactory. My apologies that the service you experienced during dinner was not to the standard we aspire to provide. We did experience very late unexpected high demand over the weekend, due to the weather conditions. I have discussed your comments with our Food and Beverage team to ensure the when delays are unavoidable that this is communicated to our guests in the future.

I am disappointed that I was unable to receive your feedback whilst you were staying with us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, should your travel plans bring you to the area in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

Sorry to be negative but I can't think of anything good to say about this hotel. It's shabby, expensive, unfriendly and I struggle to see why it hi branded wish I had stayed two miles away at the holiday inn.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for your comments, feedback is important to us; we are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. Our aim is to make all of our guest welcome during their stay and would like to offer our apologies that you did not feel so during your visit.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future so that we may restore your faith in our hotel and the Holiday Inn Express Brand.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Very comfortable rooms, had a good nights sleep before flying.Car was parked and left in car park until we returned , no problems. A taxi to the airport was £6 and reception booked it for us the night before as we left too early to use the hotel shuttle. Breakfast is included in the price but hot food is not available for early flights, however the continental provided was adequate, cereal, toast etc. Didn't eat in the hotel in the evening but did use The Little Owl pub next door, very reasonable prices and tasty food. If you don't book a taxi back to collect your car jumping in a black cab will cost £10, all in all I would use this hotel again. The car was safe and it saves getting up at unearthly hours to get to the airport. The staff were helpful and friendly and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and our location was suited to your stay prior to flying out from Birmingham Airport. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I try not to give bad reviews but this hotel merits one for the food in my opinion.

The breakfast is complimentary and while offering a range of hot and cold I would avoid the cooked breakfast as the bacon was so tough I thought I was eating the display bacon by mistake. I was hoping for sausages instead but was warned they are even worse. The fruit juice is a watery concentrate too.

The evening meals are very disappointing and mostly warmed up or microwaved. I have searched the menu is vain for some tasty and edible food but failed so I have moved to another hotel in desperation.

If you wisely choose not to dine there the rooms are OK - clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. In particular Carly is lovely. The staff try hard but are let down by the catering. I think that the senior management should actually dine there one night to see why they may not be getting repeat bookings.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and for the positive feedback regarding the team.
I am disappointed that our food offering did not meet your expectations, we are changing the breakfast drinks options this month to improve the quality and I have instructed our Kitchen Manger to ensure the bacon is not left to dry out. Our dinner menu is also changing following the feedback we have received, with the anticipation this will be in place by March.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed for one night as we were attending a concert at the LG arena.
Room was fine, beds comfortable ( one was a sofa bed) but we had to ask for pillows, as none provided on sofa bed.
Staff were fast friendly and efficient.
However breakfast was a shambles, everything seemed to be in short supply, from crockery and cutlery to all the food items, folks had to stand around waiting for items to be brought out , one got the impression that perhaps kitchen staff were in short supply also.

Otherwise we enjoyed our stay and would use the hotel again, but perhaps come down for breakfast very early or later.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
MJT123, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that your room was comfortable and the staff you encountered were friendly. I was however very disappointed to read your comments regarding the breakfast service, we have taken steps recently to improve this service; unfortunately this seems to not have been apparent on the morning you describe. I have made the Kitchen Manager aware of your experience to ensure that the front of house service is constantly monitored. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ibis Styles Birmingham Airport NEC
Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!