“Great hotel, well worth it.”

Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Scotland
“Great hotel, well worth it.”
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

First time I stayed here on business, and I loved it. There is no lift, so what I need the exercise! I stay away @ 75 nights a year so a decent hotel is a must. Very simply great service, relaxing, fabulous food, and staff that offer a great welcome. The location is great for me as well. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Gerry F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We chose this venue for its great location and atmosphere as we, and many guests, are local to the area. But with guests also from Spain, Edinburgh, Wales and London, its central location was perfect and easy to find.

Nice to see the building in use after many years in a state of dereliction. A great building and beautiful gardens created a lovely setting for the evening. The poor weather cleared and sunshine illuminated its amazing facade.

After many pre-party visits (including guided tours of the building and bedrooms) and discussions with the new Events Co-ordinator Jackie, I was placed at ease by her friendly and professional persona.

On the evening of the party we had decided to stop over with 8 other guests. We were upgraded to the State Room, a wonderful room over looking the main gardens. This room surpassed our expectations in many ways.

The night of the party was a great success. with over 60 guests, many with positive comments. The most vocal comments were about the quality of the food. We opted for a buffet and this was served in the Garden Room. We had planned each dish to suit our guests, which included many vegetarian options. The chef was very obliging and the food tasted great, even happy to use our own recipes, and these dished where wonderfully made. An excellent chef by all accounts.

I think these days, it is so difficult to get 100% perfection from any venue, as we customers are so sophisticated with our requirements. Yes, there were a few hiccups along the way, but nothing the guests noticed. But one of the elements I like about this venue and its staff, is that they are very much open to criticism. The want to know what wasn't right so they can make improvements for the future.

So well done particularly to Jackie, Katie and Daniel for all their hard work and hospitality. We can't wait till the next time we have an occasion to celebrate and will definitely return. Good luck for the future.

Room Tip: State room is largest room, catching the sun in the afternoon with beautiful views of the gardens...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mike S
UK
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Sometimes i read reviews here and my experience is quite different from previous reports. In this case, I feel should add a review to provide some balance.

I'm just about to leave after a very pleasant stay. Clearly, the hall remains a work in progress - it has been very sympathetically restored, and there has been major investment in the fabric of the place - for example furnishings are high quality, state of the art heating/air-conditioning system, iPod docks, sony flat screens, fast and free wifi, the bathroom in my room was first class. Yes, there are some unfinished touches - for example, some signage is not yet permanent but this does not detract significantly and I'm sure this is only temporary.

I assume that the negative comments about staff/service had been due to early teething problems; I can only say that during my stay here the staff have been visible, helpful, motivated and show absolutely the right attitude to guests. It is true they are not the standardised, homogenised 'have a nice day' variety, but in my book all the better for it.

I have greatly enjoyed my stay here - lovely room overlooking the gardens, comfortable environment, delicious freshly-cooked breakfast. I'm delighted to have discovered such a lovely hotel and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank biztravllr
Birmingham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Love this hotel. Beautiful building. We booked a standard room for our wedding night and must have been upgraded because our room was in no way standard. The hotel even put a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket for us waiting in the room! We were very impressed. the only thing that let the hotel down was the lack of staff. We arrived late on the Saturday night 11.30pm ish- we were assured beforehand that our late arrival would be fine and we were greeted by a man who I thought could have been the manager and he was brilliant. As I said the only downfall was that this poor man appeared to do everything. he was up early the next morning delivering breakfast to our room - I wouldnt be surprised if he'd have cooked it too. It was good but a little cold. He thoughfully told us that we were welcome to stay a little longer if we wanted to. When we came to check out there was no sign of any member of staff at all. Thankfully we had paid upfront but had only ordered 1 glass of coke extra so after waiting 10 minutes at the desk and even phoning the hotels number with no reply, we left a note asking him to phone us if he wanted the money for the drink and leaving our key.
Quite strange really.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bettedavis11
birmingham
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Myself and two friends visited Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel for afternooon tea. The service was very poor. Staff lacked experience and personality. We were offerd complimentary tea after lenghty emails of complaint were submitted. To date this has not happened, still awaiting available dates from the manager who has not delivered his prommise.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank caz291
Birmingham
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We attended a breakfast meeting at Castle Bromwich hall last week and was very disappointed, with the service, firstley ther were no signs indicating wher the meeting was, no one at reception and not a member of staff to be seen to ask wher to go. The breakfast and coffee arrived 20 minuets late, and when we asked for a egg sandwich it took a further 20 minuets, what was staggering when the bacon baps arrived for 15 people there were not side plates, or serving cutlery. Whielst the meeting was going on there was noise comming from the adjoining room from two people moving some furniture. The building was amazing and the ground breathtaking, what a fantastick spot, but the management need to sort out the extremley poor service they are delivering. I am due to attend another meeting there in a few weeks so will update my review.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ahfd
Christopher L, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for your comment and I am very happy to see that you think the building is as wonderful as we do.

The lack of signage is an issue that we can easily address and from now on there will be signage. It was not thought to be necessary as the delegates were taken through to the meeting room personally by staff and met at reception by the organiser, once the organisers had arrived.

I would like to report a little feedback with regard the problems you experienced during your meeting. The organisers of the meeting requested that the food was put back twenty minutes due to a relatively high number of late arrivals, the organisers had also not arrived at the original time. I am very sorry that this was not communicated to you and will ensure that in all future events communication between organisers, hotel staff and the guest is smoother. Unfortunately the egg sandwich was not requested until 15 minutes after the bacon sandwiches had been served. Breakfast service in the kitchen had by that time finished so the chef was recalled from another job - I am sorry for any delay caused, this will not happen again. All plates and napkins were carried out with the food.

With regards to the noise from adjoining room, there are no other rooms adjoining the Garden restaurant with the exception of the hallway and a very small chamber that was not in issue at all and was locked. But I will make it my priority to look into what may have happened that morning and take action against any that arises. I am very sorry for this inconvenience.

We have no forthcoming breakfast meetings, but we do look forward to welcoming you to the Hall again. I am positive that your impression of service will be turned around, and you will leave happy as did the organisers on this occasion.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I booked to take my wife to the Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel for a nice surprise,
when I rang I was advised that low tea was available until about 4.30pm was asked my name and time (1615) when we arrived we stood around for about 5 minutes, there was no sign of a tea room although there were a couple of people drinking tea from low tables in what resembled a lounge area. there was a makeshift reception area but it was unmanned. eventualy we found somone without uniform or name badge that was rushing about that we presumed were staff and explained we had a booking for low tea, they showed us to a settee in the lounge where 2 ladies were already sat and said 'this is it' we felt extreemly uncomfortable, it would have been very difficult to take tea and scones at a coffee table so after a brief discussion my wife and I found the member of staff and explained it wasnt what we expected and left - she responded - oh ok - very dissapointing its a loveley building and we expected better - wont be going back real let down. The hotel would benefit from seeing how other hotels do low and high tea because they haven't got a clue.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jon E
Christopher L, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
I and all the staff at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel are very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience.

Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel does not have a specific tea room unfortunately, as the size of the manor house is not large enough to contain one along with all our other essential facilities. As with most historic buildings of this type we are unfortunately limited with regards to space. We shall look into this with the expansion of the hotel.

Our reception area is temporary as we are still awaiting permission from the National Trust to renovate this area, as it is a grade I listed building.

The member of staff without a name badge was one the owners of the hotel, and as such does not wear a name badge.

You were indeed shown to our lounge area for low tea. Low tea is traditional taken at a low table in a sitting room or drawing room, as opposed to High tea taken at a high table such as a dining table.

We are sorry it was not what you expected and we apologise that the lounge was very busy due to a function.