“Delightful but a few things let it down”

Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel
Ranked #10 of 56 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Arrived after an NEC show.
Reception was a desk and swivel chair with an extremely bored looking young lady in it.
Is it not courteous to stand when guests approach?
We booked ahead informing of a special occasion and although the room was stunning ( we had paid for a suite) no little token acknowledgment of our celebration, which led me to reception to ask the girl why it wasn't acknowledged.
She asked me quite cockily what did I expect ???
I simply said chocs on bed, maybe a flower etc....
She said you should of said in advance!!! Hello!!!! I did!!!
However the extra duvet I asked for was provided as old buildings get mighty cold and a very thin duvet was all on a huge four poster.
The State Room suite was massive , grand but did lack some ornaments etc and maybe a bedspread to match curtains as just the duvet made bed look unkempt especially a beautiful four poster.
Breakfast adequate, staff who worked breakfast were lovely, friendly and warm, especially an extremely hardworking polite Romanian chap, apologies didn't get his name.
Would of liked to speak to The Manager to express a few concerns but he appeared busy with a table plan and such matters.
This is a beautiful building but could be a real show stopper, so many opportunities such as murder mystery nights etc.....banquets.
I'm afraid I was very taken aback by my first port of call, reception.
Never in my years in customer service had I witnessed such flippancy.
Sad that your first experience could ruin what otherwise would of been a wonderful experience on a special occasion.
Will not return purely by reception experience.
However I think it unfair whole hotel should suffer by one member of staff so I have not marked down service.

Room Tip: Definitely book a suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthyCheshire

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Pros:
Lots!!!!! Beautiful building and grounds. Perfect room. Very grand entrance. Yummy hot chocolate (and coffee etc) sachets in hotel room. Lots of toiletries provided. Amazing rain shower. Big fluffy towels. Great flat screen tv. Lovely warm room. Perfecto!

Cons:
We checked in and got told that our room was in 'the brew house' annex building and sent on our way. In the dark it was hard to find the right door to get in (there are quite a few doors). A quick guide by the receptionist (or one of the other staff members at reception) to show us the entrance or where our room was would have made it 5*. Even a clear sign would have been good.

This didn't ruin it though and I would still recommend this amazing hotel and would go back every time I want to stay near Birmingham.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

we enjoyed a comfortable overnight stay here as we were visiting Birmingham. Its about 15 mins drive out from the city centre. We did hear a few planes, and aircraft noise could be more of a problem in the summer when windows were open. There was no aircon in the room we had and I am not sure there is any in the main hotel bedrooms either. We had a room in the brew house annex and there is no direct route from there to the main hotel so if it was raining you would need an umbrella to walk the 100yds or so round to the front door of the hotel, perhaps the hotel supplies these if needed.
We didn't eat in but the lounge attached to the bar looked comfortable.
The main hotel garden looked neat and tidy but some of the other areas needed a bit of a tidy up. This hotel was a good deal on the prepaid booking I got but could be a bit pricey otherwise but the hotel itself does look quite impressive and I believe is popular for wedding receptions.
Our room was quite large and the shower wet room was suitable for a disabled person with extra rails etc, presumably that is why there was no shower curtain although there were hooks on the shower rail.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Impressive house with lovely comfortable rooms, food good, the dining room would benefit from lighting the fire! We were pleasantly surprised by our rooms, everything was clean and nothing too much trouble (almost).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. The front dining room, lounge and bar are very cozy and beautiful. The reception area is disappointing and definitely needs attention. And the lift is quite awful and out of place but our room was exquisite with beautiful paneling, fireplace, beds and modern bath. The grounds are spectacular and allow you to enjoy the feeling of a step back in time.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank laviejetaime
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I have to say I visit plenty of hotels with business and for pleasure and have been fortunate to stay in beautiful 5* places, this hotel is high on my best stay hotels!
Not only is the hotel beautiful and the room 613 delightful, spacious with a lovely bathroom and really good shower but it has amazing staff too!!!
Two of my colleagues and myself had the pleasure of a three night stay and have to say although the trip was work related I was sad to leave. The breakfast was the best I'd ever had, nothing was too much trouble and the choice was fantastic, cooked and presented delightfully. Dinner was excellent but the staff for me made it even better, I can honestly say all of them the owner, the waitresses and our delightful waiter, not forgetting the manager Josè, they were all so lovely, so funny, yet so professional, they made us feel like we were friends rather than guests.
The room tariff, breakfast and dinner are value for money. I would without doubt highly recommend this hotel and will certainly revisit both for business and with my family! Excellent!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were visiting the NEC for the Motorhome & Caravan Show and decided to make a week end of it. Booked this hotel on line and it looked the business but the rooms were quite cheap. A bit concerned before we got there especially knowing the Castle Bromwich area of Birmingham but what the heck it was only for the weekend. The building itself is a beautiful 16th Century hall which really has a lot of character. Very impressed on first sight. Went in to reception and booked in - we had a smaller room in the Brew House not the main house. Smaller room - I would hate to see the big rooms as we could have had a party easily in ours. Very clean, spacious but it is the little things that let it down. No saucer for the cups in the room plates instead. On the way up the first flight of stairs dirty paper hanky or toilet paper still there when we left two days later. Staff really friendly and attentive, Rooms cheap - plain simple food - very expensive. two weddings one Saturday, one Friday - no problems felt like joining in. it was pointed out £100 if you smoke in the room - Friday night - fire alarm 10.55 someone smoked in the room and woke us up. That cost them. All in all as I said in the heading getting there but concentrate on the detail.

Room Tip: Brew House good to avoid parties and weddings - but not the atmosphere of main house.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple