“Lovely place but poor food”

Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Manningtree
“Lovely place but poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here last weekend as there was a beer and heritage festival going on in the grounds of the hotel and immediate surrounding area. On the outside it looks amazing, lovely old building. We were in a room in what the called the brew house so not it the main body of the hotel. The room was a lovely size but a bit grubby, carpets had stains on them and although the furniture was clean the general fixtures and fittings could all do with a bit of a clean. There is a lovely history of the building in the guest information folder and we were surprised to learn that it had only been a hotel since 2011 as the overall appearance of paintwork on windows etc was of very poor standard, obviously not looked at since 2011!
As ww weren't in the main part of the hotel we had to go outside to get to the hotel entrance for breakfast, this is fine if it is not blowing a gale and raining! I wouldn't want to be staying here in the winter. Breakfast was included in the price of our room which is good as we would not have eaten there the 2nd morning if it hadn't been. Service was excellent, food was not, and not worth the £12.50 they charge. I've had better and more at a Toby Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CBHHManager, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for your review, tlaney!

It is disappointing to hear that you had a bad experience during your stay.

In regards to our food and beverage options we apologise that you did not enjoy this.
We have made recent changes to our food and beverage department and further improvements are being made which we have received praise for.

We do hope that you would consider to stay with us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last night on business and was very disappointed by the whole experience. Dinner consisted of food that looked like re-heated ready meals and a waitress that didn't know what Pinot Grigio was.
The person in the room next to me kept me up and some me early with a very loud TV. When I tried to get in touch with the night porter by telephone and even going to reception in my pajamas he was nowhere to be found. Knocking on my neighbours door got no reply. When I complained at checkout I was told "the person in that room is a resident. We'll have a word with him". That didn't help me at all. I was so mad and it was clear I'd had a poor experience but neither the porter who eventually turned up and the guy on reception just weren't interested.
WiFi was also very hard to access in my room (306). Impossible to work in the room.
It was a real shame as the hotel looks beautiful. I think style over substance sums the place up best.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, waterhousemom!

Firstly, our sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We have made many improvement in the last few months and continue to do so to ensure that experiences such as these are not repeated

It is disappointing that you would not stay with us again and we do apologise for this.

Kindest Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just returned from a lovely weekend staying at this lovely and peaceful hotel I would just like to make a few comments about our stay, we found the Hotel and staff very warm and friendly with good service, on our arrival in our room 623 we only had one coat hanger and on request one more was found (we left them some) its only a small point but it marks the start of the stay, our room was airy and spacious and reasonably clean however the toilet roll holder fall apart when used and on the underside it had what can only be described as feces on it ! when reported the holder was fixed but on inspection the holder had not been cleaned and was still covered in feces, the light on the mirror in the bathroom did not work and we had no table lamp in the bedroom so that I could not use the dressing table to put make up on this lack of light from my point of view was very disappointing and made it very difficult to do my hair and apply make up, in the evening when I had no day light to work with, when reported to reception no portable light source could be found and I was informed that maintenance did not work at the weekend (difficult to understand this policy) so we were stuck with the lighting we had which was very poor.

Downstairs in the main hall in the lounge bar which was very nicely done with very comfortable and clean furniture we were slightly disappointed to find the cleaning had only taken place up to and not behind the furniture this I feel let the hotel down.

On the good points we had a very nice bar meal the rib eye was cooked perfectly and the young lady went out of her way to make sure we were well served and completely satisfied which we were, all in all the staff were more then pleasant and very attentive breakfast was well presented and plentiful the hall itself and the ground were great but on final payment we noticed two items on the bill one for each day of £4 (room charges ) this item was explained correctly has a computer fault the final bill was indeed correct, all in all though a very enjoyable stay and we would return and recommend it I do feel however that they need to implement a tighter cleaning policy.

I would recommend a walk around the walled gardens and the Hotel its self

I reported my comments to the management before leaving this review and they inform me meetings are being held with both house cleaning and maintenance we will see when we call again.

Room Tip: stayed in the brew house very quite with a good view of the walled garden but a trip in the rain f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anita K
CBHHManager, Manager at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank your for your review, Anita K!

Please accept our apologies that you did experience some errors in your stay with us.

Maintenance are available 24 hours a day and we do now make weekly maintenance checks on all of our rooms to ensure the highest of standards.

However we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay overall!

We do hope that you will come to see us again soon!
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Today I went for afternoon tea with my mom and my aunt and had an absolutely wonderful time.
Not only was the service impeccable, but the food was Devine!
The scones were warm from freshly being baked, there was plenty of clotted cream and jam to go round (I've been for afternoon tea before where the venues have given meagre portions).
The cakes were fresh and plentiful with lots of variety, as we're the delicious sandwiches.
I could not have been more pleased. Castle Bromwich Hall is beautiful and I'm so pleased to see it put to the use it so deserves after years of lying empty. I will definitely be returning and recommending to all my friends.
Look forward to going back soon :@)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, Eshire!

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable Afternoon Tea here at the Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel and are enjoying our services!

We really appreciate your feedback and we do hope to see you again soon!
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My son got married recently and they held the reception at the hotel. Jose was exceptionally attentive and no detail too small. The canapés were delicious and the hog roast was very good too. The waiting and bar staff, in both lounge area and reception room, were hard working and very professional. The room was luxurious and really comfortable. Breakfast was exceptional and one of the best I have had in a long time. A walk in the grounds and gardens before heading off completed a perfect stay. A real gem hidden away, it deserves the exceptional ratings.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Talismancb
Thank you for your review, Talismancb!

We are thrilled that you and your family had an enjoyable wedding and overnight stay with us!

Your feedback and rating is extremely appreciated and we do hope that both you and family come back to see us all here at Castle Bromwich Hall Hotel!
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We arrived at 5pm and had an extremely friendly welcome at reception by a man who checked us in swiftly and efficiently. We were directed to our room and were pleasantly surprised with the overall size and quality.
The room was spacious and had a large double bed and a bed made up on the sofa. Our son is a tall 13 year old and found his bed both long enough and wide enough for him. We had 3 windows in the room and this gave us plenty of light and good views of the gardens. The bathroom was also well equip and had plenty of hot water.It was very clean, with plenty of towels and spare pillows for all 3 of us.
We didn't eat at the hotel as we had already had dinner before we arrived and the next morning we were meeting friends for breakfast.
On check-out the same man on reception was again friendly and seemed genuine and was informing us about local events and things to do.
We shall certainly be staying again whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review Addy1962!

We really appreciate you rating and review.

We are happy that you liked our accommodation and services!

We hope that next time you are in the area you do visit us again! Maybe this time you could dine with us as we have a new and exciting A'La Carte menu!

Kindest Regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I recently visited castle Bromwich hall hotel with the intention of possibly booking my daughters wedding, we opted for a drink in the bar before dinner and was disappointed by staff. I asked for ice in my drink, I was told "I haven't filled the ice bucket up yet so you must wait" almost half an hour later than was booked for, a surly looking waitress told us our table was ready, the dining room was freezing cold even though they have a log fire which wasn't lit. Not cozy! I could hear the receptionist on the phone talking rather loudly to another guest who was obviously complaining. Our waitress then proceeded to ask us if we were ready to order as the kitchen was closing soon, we asked what the soup of the day was, to be told "oh, errrr it's whatever the chef decided, do you want me to ask?"

The food isn't even worth a mention as it was so poor, I wouldn't feed it to a hungry dog.

A flustered looking man was flapping around looking all important (or trying to) clicking his fingers and not treating staff with much respect.

All in all it was a huge disappointment to myself and my husband and we won't recommend this place for anything other than a walk around the gardens, which thankfully have nothing to do with the hotel or it's fawlty towers staff !

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redwytch
Thank you for your review, Redwytch!

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or any disappointment you experienced.

In regards to the log fire, unfortunately for health and safety reasons this cannot be lit.

Since your visit we have made improvements and changes in regards to food, service and the facilities on a whole that have received positive feedback and recommendation.

We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us continue to make improvements.
Again please accept our sincere apologies.