“Quality hotel with a few little niggles”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Quality hotel with a few little niggles”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I have stayed at several Marriott hotels before and love them for the quality feel as well as the leisure facilities & swimming pools. This one is no different except for a few little niggles.

I know Marriott is expensive and I knew this before I booked but the bar & food prices here are ridiculous. I'm not rich or stay on expenses, I work hard to be able to afford to stay at Marriott but I get the impression that they are catering entirely for the corporate visitor. I was paying £4.00 for a pint of Guinness, and having just come back from Dublin last month which is really expensive, Marriott's price is on a par if not slightly higher than I was paying over there. They also have a cider which was really popular with everyone but again, at £4.65 a bottle, it's daylight robbery when the same bottle in asda is £1.66. They really have you over a barrell as there is nowhere close by. The food price is not too bad but still slightly overpriced, especially the sandwitches. Take advantage of the 3 course special between 5-7pm. I must say, the food I had in the Zest bar was really good.

The second thing I need to point out is the tiled floor around the swimming pool. I was going to say that there is an accident waiting to happen but during the 5 times I used the pool I saw several people nearly fall and 2 people actually fall, one being a toddler. The toddler slipped so much that his legs went from under him & he landed on his shoulders before nearly sliding into the pool!....I couldn't believe how slippery it was especially around the changing rooms and pool shower so be warned!

Finally, I have to mention the Cedarwood Spa. The wife & daughter had nail treatments there as a treat. The wife had a pedicure & finger/toe nails painted while daughter had finger nails painted. The therapist was not ready at the time of the appointment and so used up alot of the treatment time setting up. After the treatments, I looked at the nails and they were shocking. I could have done them better myself. The paint wasn't right down to the base of the nails, finish was patchy & 3 hours later that night, several bits had chipped off. They went back the next morning and a different lady agreed that the job was a bit poor & touched up the nails. Later, my daughters nails started chipping so she went back to basically be told 'the varnish only lasts a day or two...what did you expect?'. Again, they were touched up but saying I payed a few quid short of £60 for something I could have done better for a fiver, the service & attitude of the staff was poor.
I filled in a feedback form and handed it in at reception but have yet to receive a reply.

These things won't stop me using Marriott in the future but I won't be using the spa again or recommending to others. And as for the bar prices, what can you do eh?....just need to take more money next time, as if I haven't payed enough already Marriott!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TomFist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Turkish first
england
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My daughter held her wedding here. The staff have been helpful and friendly from our first visit , through the planning and at the event . The events manager was observant , calm and efficient ensuring all had a good time . The food was really good , many guests commented on the quality of the food and service . The setting is beautiful and an early morning walk in the grounds is beautiful with many birds , and glimpses of the deer . There are many bedrooms and it is easy to get lost in the corridoor and confusingly rooms starting 200 are on the first floor .The rooms are comfortable , as are the beds with ample bedding and toiletries .Twin rooms a little cramped with two double beds and King size rooms better.There is no air con in the bedrooms but ordinarily I wouldn;t even notice that in Britain.Good breakfast buffet although as is often the case bacon and scrambled egg not good, fried eggs cooked to order.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank valma55
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for the weekend and could not fault it. The staff are very friendly and helpfull and the restaurant is top quality. The rooms are exceptionally clean and the grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The swimming pool and lesiure facilities are well maintained and very clean. We visited the Bullring on the Saturday which took 20 minutes by car. Birmingham has excellent shops and is well worth a visit. Will defiantly be visting this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vicky1710
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Lovely Marriott Hotel. Great rooms with all needed, nice bar and large fitness room.

Friendly staff in all area's and take time for a "chat" This Hotel is surrounded by large golf course in a pictoresk setting.

• Stayed April 2011
London/Worcs
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Had lunch in Oaks Restaurant overlooking the golf course. Staff were friendly and efficient and the supervisor made time for some general conversation. Good choices on menu, generous portions and well presented. Wine list could have been more extensive. A few more tables on the patio would not go amiss. Would have liked to take coffee on the patio but no vacant tables.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TraLonW
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel a few times now, and generally it is a very nice hotel in a quiet country setting, whilst still being accessible to the main routes, M6 and Birmingham Airport.
In the main, it is a good quality four star hotel with comfortable beds. However, if bad service annoys you, then my advice would be to avoid it like the plague! Apart from Emma on the front desk, the staff don't seem to give a toss about the guests and give you the distinct impression they'd like their jobs a whole lot better if we weren't there to inconvenience them.
In the past, to be honest, we've not had too many MAJOR issues, just the general attitude of surly and disinterested staff, but because it's a good stopping off point for us when heading South, we have returned for Company functions/private stays. Small things like like no green tea (regularly, visits months apart at times) restaurants closed without warning, staff walking in on you in your room when you've put a do not disturb sign up, cold breakfast (no apologies whatsoever). I could go on...but I'm sure you get the picture! Never, until now, enough for us to give up on the Marriott chain. We like them.
However, this week has caused us to make the decision not to return to the Forest of Arden one, specifically.
As I said previously, my husband uses this hotel (and so do his Company) for Management meetings) so often he travels alone or with colleagues. However the last time we were there as a couple we had a much better room than previously. It worked perfectly for me, given I have a disability involving my left hip, the layout of hotel rooms/bathrooms can be an issue. So, rather than take the risk getting one less suitable, I decided to call and ask for the same room again in advance of our next stay. Honestly, you'd think I'd asked for the entry code to the Royal Mint!
Because their records were incorrectly showing the booking ONLY as my husband, they wouldn't tell me the room number we'd stayed in, which would have been fine if they hadn't transferred me to four different people and put me through security four times, keeping me on the phone for 34 mintutes in total, BEFORE telling me that!
To add insult to injury, when I finally passed the phone over to my husband to give them 'permission' to speak to me, they went through all the same security again before telling him they can't reserve specific rooms!
Now I know hotels need to make sure they protect their customers, but really, the application of common sense must play a part here. I think, personally, it suits their 'CAN'T do' approach they seem to adopt as a default position.
Finally, after 34 minutes and 4 members of staff, later he was then told it wasn't possible to reserve a specific room! I have never heard such nonsense from any hotel in my life, never mind a so-called 4 star hotel.
Despite another conversation with the duty manager (Rodney - who appears to know only one word of English - 'fine' which he uses after every sentence you speak on the phone, and fails to understand even the rudimentries of Customer Service) I was promised me a call back from the Front of House manager the next morning, it has never materialised in three days.
Not only will be be taking our personal business elsewhere, but so are the Company. The Hilton NEC Metropol are closer to the airport, M6 and allowed me to choose my room myself. They seem to have a grasp of Customer Service as well as an understanding of the needs of people with a disabillity.
And the Company? Well, lets just say they are having their next round of management meetings at the Hilton too!
If you can't keep your customers happy, guess what? They don't come back!. ,

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank GillyG18
Nuneaton
Reviewed 25 March 2011

This place is actually a really nice hotel.

We only stayed here for one night, but the staff were courteous, the food was good, and the leisure facilities were excellent.

The one glitch was that we were given the keys to someone else's room when we checked in, which was kind of awkward when we charged in to their room. It's funny now, but it should never happen in a hotel like this.

I'd stay here again if I got a cheap room deal like this time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#8 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!