“Lovely Hotel and Setting”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at this Hotel for New Years Eve Black Tie Dinner and Dance for 2010 and 2011. I will give you the downside first... Last year they messed things up. Our freinds paid the deposit on their "Debit Card" and we gave them the cash. When it came to paying the final balance they took it a month too early (and took for both parties) so they had to pay the money back. As a result our rooms were upgraded. When it came to check out they gave us a bill for the whole amount as if nothing had been paid which we had to sort out at Reception before leaving. This year they did it again!!!! And we also had someone elses bar bill added to our bill. It was all sorted at Reception and they were apologetic. To be honest the staff are really nice so being angry with them is difficult.

ON THE PLUS SIDE.... Our rooms were beautiful. The beds are so comfy you really don't want to get up in the morning. There is so much to choose from for breakfast that you just don't know where to start.

The Dinner and Dance was lovely and they look after you well. Food was excellent! The staff as I said before are very nice, especially Phil who is the porter. His customer service is the best I have ever experienced and he is proud of his job. Nothing is too much for him and we were really pleased to see him again this year and he genuinely recognised us!!! And took our photos under the Christmas Tree again. How good is that eh!

The setting is amazing and Deer wonder onto the golf course as the players are taking their shots.

All in all we had a lovely time despite the bill problems.

I would recommend staying there especially for large functions/parties.

Room Tip: Choose a golf course view and its lovely to wake up to!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I love this hotel's location. Staying here feels like being tucked away in a remote part of the countryside. The surroundings are gorgeous and quiet, which added to the hotel's relaxing atmosphere. The rooms i have stayed in the past have always been clean and well-equipped. However, the recent refurbishments have made it even better. Gone are the outdated pieces of decoration and furniture; the interior now looks fresh and contemporary. However, being an avid swimmer, I definitely looked forward to using their indoor pool. But wow, was I disappointed!! The pool is a narrow, extremely shallow strip of water. Other than that, everything else exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank deniseacole
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed at The Forest of Arden Marriott on 10th December for my work Christmas party. We had a comfortable and clean double bedroom with all mod cons, although I did notice that the bathroom pedal bin had not been emptied when we got into our room.

The beds were very comfortable, and the facilities on offer were outstanding. The spa and pool = great, the 2 golf courses, WOW. It was a real shame we didn't have time to play but I think we'll be going back just to experience that - absolutely stunning grounds and golf courses!

I don't think I can comment fairly on the evening menu/food as it was a special Christmas menu which had clearly been devised to cater for large numbers of people and I do not know if the food we received was reflective of their usual meals in the restaurant. However, breakfast the next morning was fantastic, really good quality, plenty of choice and much better than some other hotel hot/cold buffet breakfasts I've had!

Our porter was delightful and the reception staff were outstanding. We had a fantastic time and will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't look over the car park!! :)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ZeusnGoose
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Three of us have just returned from this hotel . We were all very impressed. We were golfers on a very reasonable deal booked through golf breaks. The hotel was high in standards but very relaxing . The leisure facilities are superb , as are the golf courses particularly the back nine on the Arden course . We are well travelled in the golfing world but have never putted on greens with so many deer watching! Truly amazing.I am told its very busy in the summer but pick your time in the winter , get lucky with the weather and the whole experience is superb, we would definitely return

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank John16_11
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Ive had my wedding here, been for evening meals, use the gym weekly, it is without question the most stunning setting of any hotel in the UK, perfect I'd your flying out of Birmingham, I would recommend this for any occasion from a wedding, business meeting, spa day to a meeting point just for a coffee. If there would be any criticism from me whatsoever it would be that the waiters/waitresses in the main restaurant struggle with English when it's something that is not on the menu, but with that comes the hard working mentality that most others countries seem to have and excellent punctual service is provided. Go on treat yourself ;>)

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 6 December 2011

It is a good job we weren’t paying for this stay ourselves as we would have refused and would have left a night early.

I quote from their website ‘The hotel has undergone a £5 Million renovation to the lobby, restaurant, conference rooms, bar and all the bedrooms. Savour fine cuisine and wines in the AA Rosette Oaks Grill and Bar; or stop by the Zest Restaurant and Bar for casual dining throughout the day’

I can probably see that they have spent some of the £5 million on refurbishing the lobby – but that is where it ends – they should have spent some on sound proofing the bedrooms and fitting the bathrooms with up to date showers and suites. The room we stayed in was considerably out dated in my opinion. A brightly coloured bed throw over sheets that are marked does not constitute a modern comfortable room.
No one wants to go away and have a bedroom and or bathroom that is not to the same standard if not higher than theirs at home.

I would seriously question the ‘fine cuisine’ – as we didn’t sample any of that during our stay. The chef even admitted that they bought the salsa in that went with the nachos – they need to change their supplier then as it was simply tomato sauce with chopped onions. I was also unfortunate enough to order the worst Caesar salad I have ever tasted in replacement of the nachos. I could and have made better myself at home.

The only up side was the staff in the Oak bar and the Restaurant – who sorted my disappointment with the nachos very efficiently, apologising several times. I would have sent the Caesar salad back too – but would have felt embarassed to send a second meal back – I feel I could have ended up going through the whole menu!

We did not appreciate the early knock on the door at 8.45am on the day we were due to leave either.

I am not sure what star hotel this is – but it certainly shouldn’t be anymore than a two star from our experience.

On check we were offered no porter service to help with our lugagge and we had to battle with a large house keeping trolley to get in to our room that was half blocking the door. The housekeeper was standing there and made no effort to move the trolley even though she could not have missed the fact that we were struggling to enter our room.
She looked thoroughly miserable and obviously didn’t want to be there. We must have been a great inconvenience.

On the first evening my partner went to Reception to ask for some cigarettes as that is where they sell them from. He asked for a particular brand was was told abruptly by a young man that they didn’t stock that brand – end of conversation.

We decided to take a trip out on the morning of our second day –we made it to the coded barrier then realised we didn’t have the code! – Yes our fault for not asking maybe– but that doesn’t entitle the staff to laugh when they saw us returning, before giving us the code – maybe on check in they should mention that if you are going off the premises you will need to get the daily code from them first.

At breakfast as soon as your plate is empty it is cleared away even if you have literally just put the last piece of food in your mouth from your fork and your partner hasn’t quite finished theirs. I don’t know any where else that does this at breakfast time. I though it was polite to wait until each person had finished their food before clearing away the plates.

I work in a four star hotel – which has been awarded its stars based on the quality of its food, service, accommodation and surroundings. It does not have a spa, beauticians or golf course but it certainly knows how to produce the finest cuisine from the freshest ingredients. All of the staff are courteous and attentive with out being overbearing. All of which are lacking at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allaboutme7
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here 5th November with friends, as we were attending ufc at the LG arena.
arrived early but were allowed to check inn with no fuss. this enabled us to enjoy the gym and pool before having a few beers in the bar, service in the bar was very good as was the food. The hotel arranged a taxi for us to & from the LG and he was great picked is at 11pm promt when all and sundry were looking for taxis after the event. Hotel also went the extra yard to arrange us a taxi to take us to an indian at 1am. Good rooms, good food, and good staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!