“One Gripe but Otherwise Amazing Value”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
West Sussex
“One Gripe but Otherwise Amazing Value”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

OK, first off, probably not a good choice if you need to be in central Birmingham or the NEC and don't have a car. If you have visions of popping down the local or out for something to eat whilst on an evening walk - this isn't your place! If however you want to relax after a days business, even if you have children with you, then this is a very classy, upmarket hotel with an unexpectedly casual atmosphere.

Although I didn't have children or disabled relatives with me, this will certainly be a hotel of choice if I ever need to - all needs are exceptionally well catered for.

I actually arrived having driven over 3 hours, 1 in heavy snow and was a nervous wreck by the time I arrived. I have to say the service I received was THE BEST I have ever experienced. Maybe they were just surprised that I did turn up through the weather! The Concierge - Phil, got all my bags out of my car, took me to my room, parked my car, popped back to get the tea tray out in my room and put the kettle on, went off and brought my bags in, made me a cup of tea then went off to make sure he had put the parking brake on in my car, came back, said goodnight and left - I never saw him again - wanted to give him a tip - Mr. Phil - you are a legend.

I only ate in the hotel for dinner on one evening during my stay and have to say that it was jolly good value and quality - they have a captive audience but don't seem to exploit that - refreshing.One of my dinner guests was a no garlic/no spices person and the other a pretty strict vegetarian and they were both very happy with their meals. I did have breakfast and would say it's pretty much par for the course on the breakfast buffet, although possibly a bit higher quality ingredients than most.

Yes I'd stay there again, yes the facilities are fab (the CedarWood Spa is ace). Excellent service, and value for money? YES, certainly.

BUT

£6 an hour or £12 for 24 hrs internet access? I have 3 different mobile internet devices and only my Blackberry could hold a connection here for more than 2 minutes! iPad GPRS = NO, BT Mobile Broadband = NO. I gave it the benefit of doubt because of the snow but NO - NO INTERNET ACCESS UNLESS YOU PAY FOR IT HERE!

Now, I think that a hotel at this level, actually all hotels should treat wireless internet connectivity as a utility - you don't go into your room and expect to pay for water or electricity - ' please enter your credit card details before you get hot water & lighting in your shower' !

Overall excellent, beyond expectations but hey, just bung a tenner on the room price and get rid of that silly, outmoded internet thing! Even Best Western have FREE WIRELESS INTERNET in ALL their rooms - c'mon Marriott!

Room Tip: Treat yourself in the Cedarwood Spa - Good Value
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank aengusmum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Turkish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

First impressions were good. Nice place, nice helpful staff and a very nice well presented room.
Thats about it on the good stuff.
1 st problem was the room service, we ordered food for two adults and two children. Ok it was expensive but no more than you would expect I guess. But it came and one of the dinners was wrong. They took that away and brought the right one back within around 25 mins. Not bad I suppose. The proper dinner was cheaper than the wrong one thy brought, NO REFUND.
During the evening my Son and his Girlfriend attended a black tie affair and it has be said they looked quite stunning. One of the waitresses dropped a dinner all over my lads girlfriend and her brand new dress. She was covered and slightly burnt by the dinner. The hotel offered nothing more than an apology and to have her dress cleaned, No account for actually ruining her special night. She was embarrassed and absolutely hurt about the issue.
Then the last straw was I was woken by a bang on the room door at 1.20am by room service. They tried to deliver room service to me but I hadn't ordered it, it was for another room.
So all in all not a good experience. I know things like this happen and its down to human error and I accept these things can happen rarely. But this list is beyond human error and is totally unacceptable and is down to negligence and very unprofessional staff. I cannot accept this from what is supposed to be a quality hotel owned by a quality group like Marriott. I await their response and will report on here whether its a good response of a fob off. We'll see.

Room Tip: The rooms on floor 2 all seemed to have King sized beds so maybe try for that floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 6 February 2012

very nice hotel, good for going to the NEC, very helpful regarding the snow & taxi service,
bar welcoming and reasonably priced too,
pool etc v good

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Hotel is good, staff helpful and courteous. WiFi in a hotel that has conference facilities should be free in rooms not charged at £6.00 per hour in the reception only. Oaks Restaurant is well presented with a reasonable menu, but far to rushed. Sat down,Chefs surprise, starter and main course and signing the bill in 50 minutes.
I have stayed here before and will stay again, but the extra bit could make all the difference.

Room Tip: Ground floor near reception are best, some rooms are a long way from the reception / hub of the hote...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Cheadle-Hulme - UK
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stay here every week. The staff are attentive, the rooms are clean and cosy, the Oaks Bar is perfect for relaxing; the gym always has more equipment than people. Perfect for me!

• Stayed January 2012
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Forest of Arden is a large hotel complex just south of Birmingham International airport/station but only reached via country lanes. I was there for a conference but many were there for the golf course that surrounds the hotel.

The hotel is on three levels and some of the rooms are quite a walk from the reception area/restaurant. That said the staff were mostly helpful and I am sure would allocate a closer room if given sufficient notice.

For those that have an interest in conferences, the conference rooms are well equiped - the only thing to note is that a few are upstairs or have to be reached via stairs/lifts which can be a nuisance for those with mobility problems.

The food was good considering they were catering for in excess of 130 people. There was plenty of choice at the breakfast buffet.

The lesiure facilities I thought were excellent. The pool was a good size and there was a steam room/sauna/jacussi available. Apart from the golf the hotel is surrounded by countryside and there is a pleasant walk via a nature trail to lakes and woods.

All in all a good choice whether for a conference or just r&r.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We had our annual company get together in This wonderful resort/hotel last september .All of us stayed for 4 days and I had a great experience in this hotel .
The hotel is very clean , spacious and people take good care of us .
The conference rooms were big and well placed , as we were hopping from one conference room to other , we had a very good time there .
The food was good . it could have been better if they could have provided Internet free of cost .
The golf course was superb and we could find greeneries all around our place, which actually helped us to relax from our day to day work .As it is located away from the bustling city , relaxation was complete .

Room Tip: The rooms facing outdoor give a very good view of the greenery where as the rooms facing inside give...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank shanks123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,892 reviews

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!