“Great place, just a few niggles”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Great place, just a few niggles”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great place, great location for relaxing yet close enough to the neighbouring cities to shop, dine out, etc. The golf course surrounding the hotel is stunning.

We found the service to be good for what we required. The food ordered by room service was very nice, cannot comment on the restaurant as we chose to dine out.

Few niggles:

Small attention to detail missed in the bedroom - dust on the surfaces, lamps, etc.

Children playing wildly in the pool - the hotel has a health club available to non-residents, a relaxing swim was impossible as on the Saturday afternoon, the pool was full of children not being looked after, playing games and splashing about with no parents in sight.

Room cards stopped working 10 minutes after arrival, I understand techincal errors happen but as I was on the 2nd floor and quite a way from the stair well it was rather inconvienient.

Despite the few niggles we would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

You enter the grounds in the middle of nowhere down a lovely long drive with stags, deer and pheasants leading to the front of the hotel. On entering the hotel the reception area is very clean and bright and we were greeted with a smile by the reception staff. Our Room was one of the cheaper ones but it was still superb. The view was looking out over the car park and the start of the golf course but it was still very picturesque.

We had an amazing three course meal in the restaurant, the staff were very professional and we felt very special and well looked after.

It was a very luxurious hotel with lovely facilities, we went to the pool and enjoyed the spa.

We would highly recommend staying and eating here !!

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Stayed at the Marriott in Febuary, for 2 nights.. Nice location with clean and tidy rooms & hotel areas. Standard Buffett style breakfast, with friendly staff

• Stayed February 2012
West Sussex
Reviewed 7 February 2012

OK, first off, probably not a good choice if you need to be in central Birmingham or the NEC and don't have a car. If you have visions of popping down the local or out for something to eat whilst on an evening walk - this isn't your place! If however you want to relax after a days business, even if you have children with you, then this is a very classy, upmarket hotel with an unexpectedly casual atmosphere.

Although I didn't have children or disabled relatives with me, this will certainly be a hotel of choice if I ever need to - all needs are exceptionally well catered for.

I actually arrived having driven over 3 hours, 1 in heavy snow and was a nervous wreck by the time I arrived. I have to say the service I received was THE BEST I have ever experienced. Maybe they were just surprised that I did turn up through the weather! The Concierge - Phil, got all my bags out of my car, took me to my room, parked my car, popped back to get the tea tray out in my room and put the kettle on, went off and brought my bags in, made me a cup of tea then went off to make sure he had put the parking brake on in my car, came back, said goodnight and left - I never saw him again - wanted to give him a tip - Mr. Phil - you are a legend.

I only ate in the hotel for dinner on one evening during my stay and have to say that it was jolly good value and quality - they have a captive audience but don't seem to exploit that - refreshing.One of my dinner guests was a no garlic/no spices person and the other a pretty strict vegetarian and they were both very happy with their meals. I did have breakfast and would say it's pretty much par for the course on the breakfast buffet, although possibly a bit higher quality ingredients than most.

Yes I'd stay there again, yes the facilities are fab (the CedarWood Spa is ace). Excellent service, and value for money? YES, certainly.

BUT

£6 an hour or £12 for 24 hrs internet access? I have 3 different mobile internet devices and only my Blackberry could hold a connection here for more than 2 minutes! iPad GPRS = NO, BT Mobile Broadband = NO. I gave it the benefit of doubt because of the snow but NO - NO INTERNET ACCESS UNLESS YOU PAY FOR IT HERE!

Now, I think that a hotel at this level, actually all hotels should treat wireless internet connectivity as a utility - you don't go into your room and expect to pay for water or electricity - ' please enter your credit card details before you get hot water & lighting in your shower' !

Overall excellent, beyond expectations but hey, just bung a tenner on the room price and get rid of that silly, outmoded internet thing! Even Best Western have FREE WIRELESS INTERNET in ALL their rooms - c'mon Marriott!

Room Tip: Treat yourself in the Cedarwood Spa - Good Value
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank aengusmum
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

First impressions were good. Nice place, nice helpful staff and a very nice well presented room.
Thats about it on the good stuff.
1 st problem was the room service, we ordered food for two adults and two children. Ok it was expensive but no more than you would expect I guess. But it came and one of the dinners was wrong. They took that away and brought the right one back within around 25 mins. Not bad I suppose. The proper dinner was cheaper than the wrong one thy brought, NO REFUND.
During the evening my Son and his Girlfriend attended a black tie affair and it has be said they looked quite stunning. One of the waitresses dropped a dinner all over my lads girlfriend and her brand new dress. She was covered and slightly burnt by the dinner. The hotel offered nothing more than an apology and to have her dress cleaned, No account for actually ruining her special night. She was embarrassed and absolutely hurt about the issue.
Then the last straw was I was woken by a bang on the room door at 1.20am by room service. They tried to deliver room service to me but I hadn't ordered it, it was for another room.
So all in all not a good experience. I know things like this happen and its down to human error and I accept these things can happen rarely. But this list is beyond human error and is totally unacceptable and is down to negligence and very unprofessional staff. I cannot accept this from what is supposed to be a quality hotel owned by a quality group like Marriott. I await their response and will report on here whether its a good response of a fob off. We'll see.

Room Tip: The rooms on floor 2 all seemed to have King sized beds so maybe try for that floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 6 February 2012

very nice hotel, good for going to the NEC, very helpful regarding the snow & taxi service,
bar welcoming and reasonably priced too,
pool etc v good

Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Hotel is good, staff helpful and courteous. WiFi in a hotel that has conference facilities should be free in rooms not charged at £6.00 per hour in the reception only. Oaks Restaurant is well presented with a reasonable menu, but far to rushed. Sat down,Chefs surprise, starter and main course and signing the bill in 50 minutes.
I have stayed here before and will stay again, but the extra bit could make all the difference.

Room Tip: Ground floor near reception are best, some rooms are a long way from the reception / hub of the hote...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!