“A great hotel in a lovely location”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Sedbergh, United Kingdom
“A great hotel in a lovely location”
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

We booked this at the last minute over the phone as the previous hotel we had booked was awful. We received a great welcome from staff and the room was lovely. All mod cons and great room service as well. A refreshing swim in the morning followed by a hearty breakfast. To be highly recommended :)

Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A very nice setting in green English countryside, good communication links plus golf and leisure activities.
Hotel is well run and overall very nice, the staff are all professional and everything you would expect from Marriott.
My stay was easy for four days and overall I would say I enjoyed it. The rooms are ok but I found the access tot he room awkward with so many fire doors but its a minor thing.
Gym was OK, Pool nice. Would I stay again yes but its not unique.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
The North Pole
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed at the forest of arden hotel for one night (with my family) as it was close to the NEC where we were going to the Gadget Show Live. The room was nice and well equiped but at night they do get quite hot.The views were amazing especially over the golf course. The golf course looked quite good but I am not into golf so I wouldn't really know what a good golf course looked like. The swimming pool was clean and it had a sauna and a steam room next to it so that was nice. The gym was well equiped and quiet with an age limit of sixteen. Sadly the dining facilities did let the hotel down slightly as there were only two. One of the restaraunts was posh with an adult menu but a high price. The other restaraunt was more of a family restaraunt but sadly it is connected to a bar which can get quite noisy in the evening. Unfortunately if you are not a golfer the only things to do around the hotel are go swimming, go to the gym or go out. Overall I would stay at this hotel again but not for more than about two nights.
Happy Travelling!

1 Thank Holidayer A
Durham
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My partner and I stayed here whilst attending the Top Gear Live show in November 2011. The hotel itself was set in lovely grounds and just a short taxi ride from the NEC. We were told before arriving that we would be able to take our luggage to reception as soon as we arrived at 10:30am and it would be taken to our room at the appropriate check in time of 3pm ready for us getting back from the show in the evening.

We arrived back at the hotel after the show. We were given the key to our room only to find that our luggage actually was not there. The room was miles away from reception so my partner went back down to ask where our luggage was. They had not even bothered to put it in the room for us as previously agreed. They took a while to remember where our luggage was and the porter was a bit snappy about it.

My partner brought our luggage up to the room. My point is that we would be fine taking our own luggage to our room but when you are told that it will be securely stored and made available in your room for your arrival, that is what you expect to happen or at least be informed that they had not managed to put your luggage in your room and give you it with your room key.

Anyway the room itself was very nice and spacious. We ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was quite expensive but was very nice.

The breakfast that was included in our stay was also very nice. Breakfast was well organised.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here for a night about the easter with my mum,dad and my brother. The hotel was lovely and in the middle of nowhere but with beautiful surrounding. There are ducks,deers,rabbits and more in the grounds.
The pool is inpressive and the staff are lovely.
But... The only thing that let it down was the quality of the dinner in the resturant 'Zest' the menu is poor and service was good considering that there was only 1 man doing all the tables. The other resturants' menu looked nice but more of an adult menu rather than kids. Also not cheap!

2 Thank Tripperson011
Gateshead
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed at the Forest of Arden Marriott for 2 nights as we were in the area for gadget show live at the NEC. Location wise is excellent, just 5 mins from the NEC. First impressions of the hotel were excellent, set in lovely grounds with deer actually on the golf course. Checked in no probs. room was a reasonable size and done to a high standard. The bathroom needs a new shower as I hate having to bend down to wash my hair. Had a meal in the Oaks bar and grill on the first night. The service was excellent and the food was really nice. The meal deal with 2 choices of sides for the kids was excellent. Slept well the rural location ensured virtually no noise to disturb our sleep. On the second evening we dined in the Zest bar and restaraunt. Be warned we came in as a golf society was finishing their day and they were rather boisterous, we very nearly went back to the Oaks bar but they quietened down. The night we were in there was only 3 staff on. The bar was very busy and there was some delay and some mistakes in our drinks orders. The young waiter was running around like a mad man, but the other two members of staff seemed fixed behind the bar. Eventually one decided to come out and help, but the restaraunt could of done with a few extra pairs of hands to see them through what was quite a rush. The food was nice but the evening was very nearly spoiled by the bar manager who till this point was fixed behind the bar doing nothing started bollocking the waiter in full view of the guests which I not only found embarrassing but totally unjustified. Overall was a nice hotel would def stay again but would eat in the oaks only as Zest was not of the same standard.

London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed over the Easter bank holiday with another couple for two nights. The positives: the facilities are very good. My husband and his friend played two rounds of golf at both courses and they were both happy with the courses, especially the Arden. I used the gym and the facilities were great plenty of exercise machines available, separate weights room couldn't fault it. Same goes for the swimming pool, steam room and jacuzzi. I used the Spa for two treatments on Friday (my friend had 3) and we both had no complaints. Make sure you keep the spa booking or cancel within the timeframe given or you will be charged. I saw other guests who weren't aware of this despite being on the hotel's website. The overall service was very good at the hotel as well from main reception to being served for breakfast and at the Zest & Oak bars.
Improvements: The bedroom was okay certainly not great there was a strange dampish smell from the bathroom and the bed was horrible. It was springy, and the linens and the bed spread had seen better days. The ironic thing was a small brochure in the room advertising marriott bed linens, pillows, etc. The bedroom was not a great advertisement for anyone to want to buy the bed linens or pillows that marriott use in their rooms! Everything looked a little shabby and greyish hardly aspirational. I stayed at a hotel in HongKong recently where they did a similar thing, but everything from the bed to the pillows to the linen was comfortable, clean and aspirational enough for me to want the same things in my bedroom. The same could not be said for the marriott.
We had lunch in the Zest bar and it was alright for what it was. Service was good, drinks came out on time, food a little slow. We ate out for the two nights. Orange Tree in Chadwick Good Friday. The Bull's Inn in Meridan for Saturday. Would definitely recommend the Orange Tree. The food in the Bull's Inn was tasty but the waitress was a bit mardy which soured our experience there. Other waiting staff seemed fine.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms nearer the lift if you have mobility issues.